The beginning of a beautiful friendship

Skers!

"Friendship" is only this year or perhaps next year. In 2013, the "scandal" will be completely disappeared and faded memory. Back to the old PSU/NU rival and drag out thousands of "Huck Fuskers" T-shirts in Beaver stadium.

Short memories, IMO.

Question: Just pretend scandal culprit was a PSU basketball assistant coach instead of Sandusky.........the same nationwide reactions? Just wondering.

Hey, we'd love to have you as rivals, seeing as how the UW-Minn rivalry has taken a turn for the uncompetitive the last decade or so.

Similar styles usually make for a great rivalry.

Could happen...I don't see PSU ending up any more competitive than Minn in the coming years following this whole mess.

Hey, we'd love to have you as rivals, seeing as how the UW-Minn rivalry has taken a turn for the uncompetitive the last decade or so.

Similar styles usually make for a great rivalry.

Could happen...I don't see PSU ending up any more competitive than Minn in the coming years following this whole mess.

Nailed it.......^^^^^

I could honestly see Nebraska vs Penn State becoming our Rivalry Game of the Big 10. It might not feel the same as Nebraska vs Oklahoma, but on Saturday, watching the Cornhuskers play in front of 107,000+ was amazing to see on TV. PSU fans are first class. In 2012, when PSU comes to Lincoln, and are around Omaha the night before or wherever, we MUST treat them with the same respect.

"Hmm, there were 110 THOUSAND people there. They cited THREE specific examples. I'll say he received heckling from less than 50 people. boo fricking hoo. Then he proceeds to admit that he knew what he was getting into. So the point of this article is __________."

-Accountability

Ever heard of the concept of "Statistical Sampling", Accountability?

Didn't think so. Let me help educate you. In layman's term, what do you think it means if a sample of 50-100 randomly selected people from a larger population all have exactly the same attitude?

Used all the time to predict elections.

See, even the dullest tool in the shed can learn something!

After watching the Penn St. game and seeing the pre-game prayer (which I know was done in response to a terrible situation), I think that a very strong Oklahoma-ish relationship could be forged with Penn State. I also think that it would become a very great tradition if we started each year out with a pre-game prayer like we did for this game, and would only help to solidify the mutual respect of both programs. Thoughts?

It might become a strong rivalry, but never on the same level as OU. While the pre game prayer was a pretty cool thing, I just can't see it happening every time we play PSU. Sooner or later you have to move on, and not necessarily forget what happened but move on with everyday life, just my opinion.

In regards to PSU I know there was some ugly 2002 blood and certain uncertainty leading into this weekends contest. With coach Brown leading by example and the showing of solidarity between the two teams yesterday before the game in the wake of such tragedy do you see this PSU/NU divisional rivalry becoming something special or just another game? To me it seems that both teams should feel a certain respect for each other after yesterday and continue that good sportsmanship into future games.

Just another game. Nothing special with an institution that covers up for child molesting predators. Nebraska was classy in how they handled Saturday, but PSU is pretty much the scourge of the earth imo. I'd rather we never played there again, tbh.

God Bless JoPa signs? Sick.

http://my.journalsta..._of_thanks.html

http://www.dailynebr...=1#.TsGUGmBRxl1

This is how rivalries begin and flourish. Not with corporate sponsorship or kitschy names or forced trophies. A great game in extraordinary circumstances, and in the way of Nebraska-Oklahoma, it was full of mutual respect, rather than hatred.

Its debatable. I'd say most of the public, including myself, relish in the violent hatred driven rivalries. Most teams in the conference are your "friendly, respected rivals" except for that one, that when they come to town, its not a game. It's a battle in a never ending war. I don't know that you guys get that as Husker fans because your main rivals were who? OU. You have Kansas in between and even then you guys are in the northern bit of NE so you wouldn't see them much. Ohio State and Michigan hate each other because they compete for the same kids, their fans live and work with each other everyday. Same with WI-MN, MSU-UM, or any of the other really great rivalries in college.

You won't get that with PSU. I think it will come out of Iowa but at any rate it has to come out of history, the best ones are within states or between two bordering state schools. Look at Clemson and Carolina, those schools practically went to war in 1900 or so and the governor had to call in the guard. I love it :cheers

I agree that inventing rivalries is stupid though.

This is how rivalries begin and flourish. Not with corporate sponsorship or kitschy names or forced trophies. A great game in extraordinary circumstances, and in the way of Nebraska-Oklahoma, it was full of mutual respect, rather than hatred.

Its debatable. I'd say most of the public, including myself, relish in the violent hatred driven rivalries. Most teams in the conference are your "friendly, respected rivals" except for that one, that when they come to town, its not a game. It's a battle in a never ending war. I don't know that you guys get that as Husker fans because your main rivals were who? OU. You have Kansas in between and even then you guys are in the northern bit of NE so you wouldn't see them much. Ohio State and Michigan hate each other because they compete for the same kids, their fans live and work with each other everyday. Same with WI-MN, MSU-UM, or any of the other really great rivalries in college.

You won't get that with PSU. I think it will come out of Iowa but at any rate it has to come out of history, the best ones are within states or between two bordering state schools. Look at Clemson and Carolina, those schools practically went to war in 1900 or so and the governor had to call in the guard. I love it :cheers

I understand that there are other great rivalries that have a foundation built on hatred. What you don't understand is that kind of rivalry doesn't fit Nebraska football, it just doesn't fit the way the fans approach the program or the game.

I'll admit that we have never really had a border war like Nebraska-Iowa could be, but I don't think many Nebraska fans value that very much. We value championships, long-term success, great games with championship implications, and we value mutual respect and sportsmanship above hatred.

Anyways, I understand that there are other rivalries built on hatred, like long, never-ending family feuds. Nebraska is different though. I think most Nebraska fans (at least the fans old enough to remember the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry) much prefer a rivalry built on respect, built on great games played year in and year out with championship implications, and where you feel that rival is the most worthy adversary you face each year, and you're grateful to go against them because of it.

I understand that there are other great rivalries that have a foundation built on hatred. What you don't understand is that kind of rivalry doesn't fit Nebraska football, it just doesn't fit the way the fans approach the program or the game.

I'll admit that we have never really had a border war like Nebraska-Iowa could be, but I don't think many Nebraska fans value that very much. We value championships, long-term success, great games with championship implications, and we value mutual respect and sportsmanship above hatred.

Anyways, I understand that there are other rivalries built on hatred, like long, never-ending family feuds. Nebraska is different though. I think most Nebraska fans (at least the fans old enough to remember the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry) much prefer a rivalry built on respect, built on great games played year in and year out with championship implications, and where you feel that rival is the most worthy adversary you face each year, and you're grateful to go against them because of it.

but badgerfan makes a good point, hatred lasts a lot longer than mutual respect.