The fumble recovery that wasn't...

Saunders

Rewatching the PSU game, and I noticed something on the Burkhead/Legate fumble. PSU never recovered the ball, and the ref signalled PSU ball before checking to see who actually had it.

6359331293_28580e05dd_b.jpg

Ball is obviously not recovered.

6359341121_52bc50e095_b.jpg

Yoshi has the ball (and came out with it).

This resulted in a PSU TD when we were driving, and could have been at least a 10, if not 14 point swing.

Yeah, I thought so too. They were VERY QUICK to call that PSU ball (and very quick not to review the 3rd and long catch that was bobbled all the way out of bounds).

I Tweeted Yoshi about it. He or one of the other players ended up Tweeting something mentioning that Yoshi got screwed out of a fumble recovery.

That endzone shot with Burkhead on the ground and Legate rising up on the left - I believe if you look at the other angle, at about this time the line judge was already signalling that PSU had recovered the ball.

In the second shot, you can see the ref in the process of thrusting his right hand forward to signal PSU football when the ball is still clearly loose, underneath Yoshi's hip.

I'm not going to worry about it too much. The game is over, we won. No need to make a fuss out it you know.

Talking to other B1G fans, this type of thing seems to be very common, and it's going to bite us. Then you'll care.

How is this fumble going to come back to bite us?

Seriously? How could a fumble we recover, and the refs award to the other team, ever come back to bite us? Really, you need it explained?

Nobody said "this particular fumble" would come back. But another one......

• Fire 1

I'm not going to worry about it too much. The game is over, we won. No need to make a fuss out it you know.

Talking to other B1G fans, this type of thing seems to be very common, and it's going to bite us. Then you'll care.

How is this fumble going to come back to bite us?

I think he was referring to similar calls that may be made in the future.

Sorry guys,

According to the posted pic, Yoshi is nowhere close to IN CONTROL of that football.

Secondly, I don't have the pic or video, but I remember a Penn State player coming away from the pile with the ball. (I'm not 100% certain, but close to it)

Valid fumble, doesn't matter anyway...

Still, how is it that the official is signaling PSU ball at the instant that picture is taken?