Defensive Concerns

One thing that has been consistent since late 2008 through 2010 is that the Huskers had a great D. Our offense was up and down but I could always count on the defense to come out and play great.

However, this year has been a real eye opener. The defense has been getting gashed on the ground and through the air pretty consistently throughout the year - even in many of our non-conference games.

This is very concerning, especially looking forward. Who is going to replace the productivity of Dennard and Lavonte? I haven't seen any other player really step up and get better. No defensive player really stands out to me. Last year I could say we have Dennard, Lavonte, and Crick returning. Who do we have next year?

I used to have a ton of confidence in both Bo and Carl in coaching up talent. Now, I seriously have to reconsider that confidence. I honestly can say that I haven't seen much of the defensive side of the ball improve as the year progressed. Maybe Compton? Other than him I'm not really seeing it. The d-line has been manhandled just about all year and the secondary is wildy inconsistent.

Maybe this is just an off year, but I am pretty concerned about the defense and this team going forward.

One thing that has been consistent since late 2008 through 2010 is that the Huskers had a great D. Our offense was up and down but I could always count on the defense to come out and play great.

However, this year has been a real eye opener. The defense has been getting gashed on the ground and through the air pretty consistently throughout the year - even in many of our non-conference games.

This is very concerning, especially looking forward. Who is going to replace the productivity of Dennard and Lavonte? I haven't seen any other player really step up and get better. No defensive player really stands out to me. Last year I could say we have Dennard, Lavonte, and Crick returning. Who do we have next year?

I used to have a ton of confidence in both Bo and Carl in coaching up talent. Now, I seriously have to reconsider that confidence. I honestly can say that I haven't seen much of the defensive side of the ball improve as the year progressed. Maybe Compton? Other than him I'm not really seeing it. The d-line has been manhandled just about all year and the secondary is wildy inconsistent.

Maybe this is just an off year, but I am pretty concerned about the defense and this team going forward.

I have some concerns as well. I don't know who is going to step up at LBer we'll have Compton back, he has been playing better and hope he improves, Fisher(not sure if he'll recover from injury), Santos (hope he can run), maybe Roach, and Anderson will be relied on heavily to do many things.

Secondary, will miss Fonzie(still think he was pushed on that long play). Need Green to take a BIG leap as well as Ciante, hope CJ qualifies. Cassidy and Thorell will not be able to play regardless of how much the coaches like them, but that still leaves Blatchford and hope we can get two talented CBs as it would help our nickle and dime spots. Will probably see more athletic safties next year in either Osborne, Cooper and Jackson, need Diggs though.

D Line, this group scares me because I honestly don't know what we're gonna see next season. Bo's D this year has looked so bad this year cause this years group up front is not up to par. D Rob had waaaaaaaay too much time to throw today.

Sorry for the length, but anyone please feel free to offer thoughts.

Lance Thorell sucks. I respect the walk-on tradition but a walk-on playing a skill position is trouble. Andrew Green sucks. He had a few good games where he showed good run support, but he sucks at coverage. So far, this staff SUCKS as recruiters.

Walk-ons usually make for great two and three deep players... you can't build a defense with them as starters.

Lance Thorell sucks. I respect the walk-on tradition but a walk-on playing a skill position is trouble. Andrew Green sucks. He had a few good games where he showed good run support, but he sucks at coverage. So far, this staff SUCKS as recruiters.

yep, we have a bunch of guys on D who couldn't play 2nd in the B1G.

yep, we have a bunch of guys on D who couldn't play 2nd in the B1G.

I remember one good play, one bad play from Aaron today. On the bad one he didn't really have safety help...on the good one he looked like Fonzie.

To me the defensive side of the ball is going to make or break this team (and ultimately the coaches). If Bo cannot put together an attacking, turnover causing, hard tackling defense he will ultimately be gone. I cannot believe the way we have played defense this year. Where are the Blackshirts we had last couple of seasons? We let the offenses take it to us and drive us back for extra yards every series. The loss of David, Crick, and Dennard next year is going to hurt. Compton to me is improving...so is Stafford. EMart can be a factor at times also. Other than that we have serious issues. The jury is really out on Evans and Green...they have to improve greatly next year. I am ready to see some speed and new personnel on the D-Line. We are slow, get pushed around, and rarely can make a sack or TFL. I was hopeful that we'd see improvement with PJ Smith, Osborne, C. Cooper, and SJB who seem to have more of the athleticism we need.

Our D line will be alright. Compton will be a good LB but after that we need A LOT of ppl to step up. Idc if we have to play Debo we need someone. Secondary will be ass besides Stafford at this moment.

I hate calling out players but Cassidy always seems a step behind of a play and his lack of athleticism kills him when he makes a mental mistake. Same for Thorell

Our D line will be alright. Compton will be a good LB but after that we need A LOT of ppl to step up. Idc if we have to play Debo we need someone. Secondary will be ass besides Stafford at this moment.

I hate calling out players but Cassidy always seems a step behind of a play and his lack of athleticism kills him when he makes a mental mistake. Same for Thorell

Cassidy is 4 step behind because he bites on EVERYTHING!

agreed....we either need to simplify the defense or we need to suffer thru mistakes and make up for that with better athletes on the field...as it is now we are looking at a second tier defense at best next year with very few young guys getting experience. I would guess we go down a notch next year without any of the big 3....very few playmakers on the roster at all for 2012 on defense.

Cassidy is 4 step behind because he bites on EVERYTHING!

Exactly. At least with someone Matty O, even though he was a tad more athletic than Cassidy was rarely out of position. I can stomach someone that is not the most athletic BUT is mentally sound and is in position. But in Cassidy's case, I'd rather throw someone out there that at least has some talent to recover on a blown assignment.

• Fire 1

I don't understand this statement. How will the D line be alright next year? It wasn't even alright this year...