Defensive Concerns

Hopefully a hell of a lot progression goes on over the offseason. I'd have to think Rome and Baker would start at DT next year, but there will probably once again be a heavy rotation there with maybe a Todd Peat working his way in (depending on how he pans out by next fall) or a Jay Guy.

D End worries me a bit more. If I had to pick right now, I'd have to say Cam and E Mart would be the starters. For some reason the coaches like Josh Williams, Ankrah, and Joe Carter are all of equal talent as the previous two mentioned. I think Cam probably holds down his starting spot next year (unless someone comes on like a hurricane and displaces him). The other end spot is a bit of a problem. They run a big four man rotation there of the other four. While you'd think this would be good, if no one can step up and assert themselves as a starter, they'll all share reps and we'll continue to see diminishing returns, as we have this year. I'd much rather prefer one of the step up, put a chokehold on the job, and play like their hair is on fire. I feel having an entrenched starter and occasionally subbing him out would field a much better D-Line than consistently rotating four guys and having them wonder amongst themselves who's best and when the next time they'll get taken out is.

Perhaps the skill just isn't there at end though. Hell, as good as Cam looked in that first game against WKU (possible correlation...?), he's been up and down all year. One play looks like a throwback, rugged tough player who makes the Blackshirts proud, the next he looks lost or athletically overmatched.

I would just like to say that, I am very confused as to how a Pelini coached team has such an awful defense. We went from having one of the best defenses in the country to ... what? Last? I understand we lost some talent, but holy crap the drop off is just ridiculous.

It's easy to explain, as a matter of fact you can do it with one simple word.

Recruiting.

Guys like Osborne, Cooper, Smith, and Jackson need to step up, and we have to hope that Santos and maybe Zaire can come in and make an immediate impact. We also need to see some depth at LB, the cupboard is not bare but these guys are getting minimal experience and it does not bode well for next year, but it is possible we will have a more athletic 11 guys in the fold minus Dennard and David who will be HUGE holes to fill.

Our D line will be alright. Compton will be a good LB but after that we need A LOT of ppl to step up. Idc if we have to play Debo we need someone. Secondary will be ass besides Stafford at this moment.

I hate calling out players but Cassidy always seems a step behind of a play and his lack of athleticism kills him when he makes a mental mistake. Same for Thorell

Cassidy is 4 step behind because he bites on EVERYTHING!

Todays game the announcers talked about this. Prior to the score from DR from our 10 (forget the quarter) the guard pulled to the outside. Austin shot into the vacated gap. The announcers were saying watch the guard and showed the replay. They said the players do not lie. If a guard is pulling, it is because the play is going that way. Austin simply went where I am ASSuning the call was for instead of watching.

Seems like this year the guys think too much as well. Reacting instead of acting. I know Bo commented on the growth of Compton, saying they told him to just play.

We miss Sanders. End of story.

Our D line will be alright. Compton will be a good LB but after that we need A LOT of ppl to step up. Idc if we have to play Debo we need someone. Secondary will be ass besides Stafford at this moment.

I hate calling out players but Cassidy always seems a step behind of a play and his lack of athleticism kills him when he makes a mental mistake. Same for Thorell

Todays game the announcers talked about this. Prior to the score from DR from our 10 (forget the quarter) the guard pulled to the outside. Austin shot into the vacated gap. The announcers were saying watch the guard and showed the replay. They said the players do not lie. If a guard is pulling, it is because the play is going that way. Austin simply went where I am ASSuning the call was for instead of watching.

Seems like this year the guys think too much as well. Reacting instead of acting. I know Bo commented on the growth of Compton, saying they told him to just play.

We miss Sanders- exactly.

More like we miss Gomes/Hagg/Prince. Sanders' coaching wouldn't turn Thorell or Cassidy into all-americans.

• Fire 1

If Prince, Gomes, and Hagg were still here, they would be ballin' just like Fonzie has been this year.

Sanders gets far too much credit there, nothing against the guy, he was a solid coach in his own right.

Totally agree. I wasn't knocking his coaching, just pointing out that NFL-caliber talent could make anyone look like a great coach.

More like we miss Gomes/Hagg/Prince. Sanders' coaching wouldn't turn Thorell or Cassidy into all-americans.

Yepper. Sander's was a good coach but not a magician.