Not repeating what works

lo country

One thing that has been so frustrating this season has been the inability to establish any identity on O other than inconsistent.

One week we use power and gash a team, never to use heavy sets again. The bubble screen wasn't used once today IIRC. We haven't used the toss sweep since MSU. The diamond shows up once and we score a TD never to be seen again. Last week Beck talked about last week using multiple formations and sets against PSU to keep them from their base D and keep the on the ropes.

Today we ran the up tempo (that I have heard about since spring and have seen maybe 3x's) and Michicken goes for TWO injury time outs to catch a breath. Why the hell did we not run that from the start and once it showed they were out of shape, why didn't we stick with it. Not to mention Rex had approx 10 carries today. WTH! The heart and soul of your team was a complete non factor. Again if injured, what about the 3 quality backs behind him (that will still ride the pine next year)

Beck has continued to make me confused to no end. One quarter great and then nothing.

I have no idea why we don't see more of the diamond.

I hope we have atleast one game this year where they run diamond a lot a get stuffed so you guys will put it to rest. The 'Diamond Formation' is the 2011 version of 2010 Rexcat.

Mistakes limit this offense, not a formation.

Except that the Rexcat is just running the same play out of the same formation that you always run simply with a different player at QB. The diamond formation goes from THAT to having four explosive running threats in your backfield, with lots of different ways to use misdirection and play option football.

Go back and watch Osborne use his double wing set against Tennessee in 1997. He didn't just use it once per game.

Your thread title says it all. We are quite good at going away from what has worked to shoot ourselves in the foot. We have nothing to really lose on Friday. Open up the damn playbook and go with something new. We cannot win with this same offense next year. Too easy to defend...blow up O-Line and tackle Burkhead or TMart.

I hope we have atleast one game this year where they run diamond a lot a get stuffed so you guys will put it to rest. The 'Diamond Formation' is the 2011 version of 2010 Rexcat.

have you not payed attention to the succes rate of plays ran out of the formation. As mentioned it increases the number of offensive threats on the field and it causes confusion for the defense. Think the OSU game, came out in it after half and easily marched down the field with it. Enunwa's TD came from it. Aaron Green caught a TD out of it vs Washington, today's TD and there are more example that are probably slipping my mind.

It's a body of work. Everyone popped a hard one when Rex carried 35 times against MSU. Guess what, that didn't work in the weeks that followed.

Beck would look like a genius if the receivers could catch and he had a consistent QB. I'm not knocking Martinez (he has improved).

The we need more diamond thing is like saying "I wish Beck would call those pass plays where the receivers catch it".

Except that the Rexcat is just running the same play out of the same formation that you always run simply with a different player at QB. The diamond formation goes from THAT to having four explosive running threats in your backfield, with lots of different ways to use misdirection and play option football.

Go back and watch Osborne use his double wing set against Tennessee in 1997. He didn't just use it once per game.

You nailed it. Lots of things we can run out of that formation, and it allows us to get weapons on the field. I love Rex, but he just doesn't have great speed and I'd rather see some of the younger guys in for a lot of the option, etc.

Its hard to get the ball rolling on offense when our receivers drop passes, our center blocks his guy into the running lane, and michigan players faking injuries to stop the clock/momentum.

It's also hard to even get on offense when your special team fumbles the ball on kickoffs. Did anyone else notice the hold and blocks in the back on the drive Michigan had to regain the lead? Wow...just wow.

Your thread title says it all. We are quite good at going away from what has worked to shoot ourselves in the foot. We have nothing to really lose on Friday. Open up the damn playbook and go with something new. We cannot win with this same offense next year. Too easy to defend...blow up O-Line and tackle Burkhead or TMart.

That is what has to stop. Our O-line was completely out classed today.

Its hard to get the ball rolling on offense when our receivers drop passes, our center blocks his guy into the running lane, and michigan players faking injuries to stop the clock/momentum.

It's also hard to even get on offense when your special team fumbles the ball on kickoffs. Did anyone else notice the hold and blocks in the back on the drive Michigan had to regain the lead? Wow...just wow.

The officating was a in class by itself today..... Im sure there will be a blown up picture of #77 pulling on Chase Romes jersey early in the game right infront of the umpire.

I wish the NCAA would just regulate officating, instead of the conferences. Officals for games would be drawn at random, no same crew would work together more than twice. just my 2 cents.

The officating was a in class by itself today..... Im sure there will be a blown up picture of #77 pulling on Chase Romes jersey early in the game right infront of the umpire.

I wish the NCAA would just regulate officating, instead of the conferences. Officals for games would be drawn at random, no same crew would work together more than twice. just my 2 cents.

The missed calls today and called against us was crazy. How there was no PI when Marlowe had the drop and then the roughing the kicker when it was even hard to see the contact on TV. Let alone the holds, an obvious block in the back and others.