Running Game

C N Red

Okay, i know we want to be a "multiple" offense, but when it comes right down to it we want to be a running team first. So why do we not see more creativity??

The best play ive seen all season was the double read play we used on our second touchdown. Even the announcers were in awe of that play and Urban Meyer seemed butthurt he didnt ever think of that kind of play when he was a coach.

We probably wont see it again the rest of the year. Like the diamond formation, we've scored on plays out of that formation twice in the last two games but only run it maybe twice a game.

How about some split backs too. Id say out of the young talent we have the young RBs have not been given enough time. Run more multiple back sets and give them there chance.

Im pretty sure the reason they arent playing is b/c of Bo. I heard Ron Brown on sports nightly a couple weeks ago and a caller asked about why they werent playing more and you could tell he was dancing around the question b/c i think he would like them to play more.

Anyway, just think more creativity with the running game is needed to get our talent on the field. Speaking of talent, we really looked out talented today. And thats the first time Ive thought this for a couple years. Have to admit that really worries me and i hope the freshman, redshirts, and new recruits can help us with this problem.

And please Cassidy and Stafford, quit getting caught on every play fake!! Horrible!!

I think we see too much creativity. I wish they would stick to what works and add in some wrinkles. We are too busy being "creative" and running our RB under center to run the Diamond, as an example.

Beck kinda seems like a mad-scientist and comes up with some really cool stuff, tbh. The challenge, imo, is that we do so much of that stuff that we never get really good at the basics. There is a high amount of sloppy play/execution which I attribute to not enough reps because we are too busy reaping Burkhead under center, Wildcat, Pistol, Diamond, I form, I form with Burkheat at FB, Zone read,...ect. Boil the thing down to the basics and get highly efficient, THEN add the wrinkles.

I love our up tempo offense. I think it is fast enough, otherwise why would the opponents fake injuries so they can catch their breath and bring in subs? I think our issue in this game was Rex. He was pretty obviously not 100%. I love his guttiness but I think we should have given the Frosh more reps. Not faulting Rex at all. I love his game, but he is unable to make those cuts in traffic that we have seen all year due to his gimpy ankle

The problem with the offense starts and ends up front. You can't do anything when 3/5 of the line don't block anyone and 1/5 of the line tries really hard to block someone but always ends up getting blown backwards. That is 4/5 of the line not doing their jobs.

This. O-line has been absent the last few games so its hard to get a running game going

I'm not a fan of our hurry-up tempo either. Either speed it up or get rid of it. It's not fast enough to cause confusion like Oregon's but it's just fast enough to exhaust our defense when they run right back onto the field after we go 3 and out.

Matter of preference, I guess. But the hurry up is a feast or famine process and I think it should only be used when the game is close or when we're in the lead. If it works, we ware down the defense and end up scoring a good amount of points. If it doesn't...well, you can see what happens when it doesn't.

I think we need to slow it down when things aren't working for our offense. But there are benefits that the hurry up brings.

I'm not a fan of our hurry-up tempo either. Either speed it up or get rid of it. It's not fast enough to cause confusion like Oregon's but it's just fast enough to exhaust our defense when they run right back onto the field after we go 3 and out.

Matter of preference, I guess. But the hurry up is a feast or famine process and I think it should only be used when the game is close or when we're in the lead. If it works, we ware down the defense and end up scoring a good amount of points. If it doesn't...well, you can see what happens when it doesn't.

I think we need to slow it down when things aren't working for our offense. But there are benefits that the hurry up brings.

Problem is, faked injuries negate the up-tempo.

That's true. But you shouldn't game plan around what other teams do. You have to commit to your style. I don't see Oregon stopping just because players flop when they play them.

Faking injuries pisses me off...it's poor gamesmanship

• Fire 1

That's true. But you shouldn't game plan around what other teams do. You have to commit to your style. I don't see Oregon stopping just because players flop when they play them.

Faking injuries pisses me off...it's poor gamesmanship

I totally agree tempo should stay the same and NU should have stuck with it regardless of their players "falling out". I'm thinking we'll see more of that next year as Beck and his players have more experience. Does anyone know roughly how long it took Oregon's tempo to become the well tuned machine it is today?

The faking of injuries will stick with me for a while. Ironic that both Michigan teams employed that method against us.

The problem with the offense starts and ends up front. You can't do anything when 3/5 of the line don't block anyone and 1/5 of the line tries really hard to block someone but always ends up getting blown backwards. That is 4/5 of the line not doing their jobs.

Add to that watching K. Reed trying to block somebody is downright painful. 100% agree that the vast majority of our problems are up front.