The "IT" Factor - Does Bo Have it?

Landomatic

He will have IT if given the time. Bob D had a couple of 6-4 yrs and they were calling for his head. Tom had to weather the same thing in the 70's. Give it time.

GBR!!!

Yes, at Nebraska changing coaches doesn't work all that well. Keeping the coach and hounding him until he figures things out has worked out a heckuva lot better historically!

Didn't Devaney have a couple of barely-over-.500 seasons? Didn't it take Osborne 22 years, several losses to teams he shouldn't have lost to and seven straight bowl losses before he won a national championship?

Yet here we are, essentially and indirectly saying a fourth year head coach doesn't have that 'IT' factor because he hasn't won a MNC yet.

Didn't Devaney have a couple of barely-over-.500 seasons? Didn't it take Osborne 22 years, several losses to teams he shouldn't have lost to and seven straight bowl losses before he won a national championship?

Yet here we are, essentially and indirectly saying a fourth year head coach doesn't have that 'IT' factor because he hasn't won a MNC yet.

IDK why all of the Bo supporters bring up MNC. Nobody but you guys are bringing it up. All anyone wants is a team that plays hard, disciplined and competitive football. If anyone is talking about a MNC, they are crazy and delusional, NU needs to be able to win the division and conference before any talk about a MNC.

• Fire 1

In Bo we trust. Be patient, he will come thru. Recruiting has been some of our best and I expect great years to come from it.

Blaze is a good name for you because you must have been high to type that and believe it. Our recruiting has been terrible.

Out of curiosity, what are your expectations concerning Nebraska's recruiting, and how are you judging the success of the recruiting?

IDK why all of the Bo supporters bring up MNC. Nobody but you guys are bringing it up. All anyone wants is a team that plays hard, disciplined and competitive football. If anyone is talking about a MNC, they are crazy and delusional, NU needs to be able to win the division and conference before any talk about a MNC.

When someone says Bo doesn't have the "it" factor, they're indirectly saying he doesn't have what it takes to win a MNC. Can you sit there and say that's truly not the feeling you get, which is specifically why I said "essentially and indirectly"? Please...

And I'm not a Bo supporter. Instead, I consider myself a defender of intelligence and an attacker of idiotic statements, like the ones I'm reading in this thread and others.

1. Twenty-two years for TO to win a National Championship.

2. Fourth year HC.

3. First year OC.

I'm not indifferent to this argument, but the problem I have with it is that Bo's 4th year defense looks like his 1st year defense... We didn't get better this year, we regressed. As bad as the end of the 2010 season was, with losses to A&M, OU, and Washington, none of those scores were 48-17 or 45-17 (neither of these losses, by the way, were to national championship contenders - Michigan was not even a contender for its division championship).

Sorry to be one of the guys sounding the alarm bells, but who honestly sees us getting better on defense next year without Lavonte David, Alfonzo Dennard or Jared Crick?

I see us being worse on defense next year, not better, and maybe I'll be wrong, but at this point I don't think "lack of patience" is the fan base's problem. It is Bo's 4th year, and the program regressed to its 2008 level - except that this year we haven't even seen the defense improve like it did that year. We've seen the defense have one good game this year - that's it.

We saw the offense improve for a while, but it's now regressing and dealing with the same issues it's had at the end of 2009 and 2010. The biggest issue at the end of 2009 and 2010 was offensive line play, and despite changing OCs and hiring an extra OL coach, we're running into the same issues at the end of 2011. The wide receivers are still dropping passes, we've still got multiple guys who are putting the ball on the turf, we still commit drive-ending penalties, and despite an allegedly more simple offensive scheme that allows players to learn the system fast and get on the field, we are still seeing our young talent warming the bench.

I feel I'm usually one of the more rational posters after a loss, and I feel I'm usually one of the more patient posters on the board in terms of trusting the coaches to teach their players, and giving the players time to improve. Even now, I'm not advocating for removing Bo, but I find it impossible to characterize this season as anything other than a disappointment. If you're not going to seriously question Bo and the state of the program and whether it's headed in the right direction right now, when do you question it?

• Fire 3

1. Twenty-two years for TO to win a National Championship.

2. Fourth year HC.

3. First year OC.

I'm not indifferent to this argument, but the problem I have with it is that Bo's 4th year defense looks like his 1st year defense... We didn't get better this year, we regressed. As bad as the end of the 2010 season was, with losses to A&M, OU, and Washington, none of those scores were 48-17 or 45-17 (neither of these losses, by the way, were to national championship contenders - Michigan was not even a contender for its division championship).

Sorry to be one of the guys sounding the alarm bells, but who honestly sees us getting better on defense next year without Lavonte David, Alfonzo Dennard or Jared Crick?

I see us being worse on defense next year, not better, and maybe I'll be wrong, but at this point I don't think "lack of patience" is the fan base's problem. It is Bo's 4th year, and the program regressed to its 2008 level - except that this year we haven't even seen the defense improve like it did that year. We've seen the defense have one good game this year - that's it.

We saw the offense improve for a while, but it's now regressing and dealing with the same issues it's had at the end of 2009 and 2010. The biggest issue at the end of 2009 and 2010 was offensive line play, and despite changing OCs and hiring an extra OL coach, we're running into the same issues at the end of 2011. The wide receivers are still dropping passes, we've still got multiple guys who are putting the ball on the turf, we still commit drive-ending penalties, and despite an allegedly more simple offensive scheme that allows players to learn the system fast and get on the field, we are still seeing our young talent warming the bench.

I feel I'm usually one of the more rational posters after a loss, and I feel I'm usually one of the more patient posters on the board in terms of trusting the coaches to teach their players, and giving the players time to improve. Even now, I'm not advocating for removing Bo, but I find it impossible to characterize this season as anything other than a disappointment. If you're not going to seriously question Bo and the state of the program and whether it's headed in the right direction right now, when do you question it?

We also lost pretty much last year's entire secondary to graduation/NFL. Have an offense that is one dimensional in most games at best,, since run rex run, does not an offense make but he's the only player that's had any kind of consistency all year on that side of the ball. Neither line has been very good (although the offensive penalties have been a lot better). We switched leagues, etc, etc, etc. Yeah it's been a disappointing year, but I definitely think Bo has "it" plus the drive to get better and the intelligence to see what needs to be fixed and address it. We've seen what his defenses can do so as far as regression... I don't think one inconsistent season is going to make a long term trend.

Redblooded - I hope you're right about the defense. I hope this was just a one year letdown after losing lots of talent to the NFL. But we're going to lose David and Dennard after this season, who have kept this defense hanging by a thread. I guess I'm just hoping that this 2011 Pelini defense was just one isolated little stumble, and not the first sign of a much steeper fall...

On the offensive side of the ball, I'm not concerned about the offense being too one-dimensional in the way you're talking about. Martinez has demonstrated that he can be consistent throwing the ball - yesterday he was confused by Michigan's scheme and while I wish he/Beck could get around to making adjustments during a game, he's shown that he can learn from games like that and get better.

I'm much more concerned with the fact that as seasons wind down, we're unable to RUN the ball better. The offensive line play falls apart, and it has nothing to do with being one-dimensional, and everything to do with simply getting beat at the point of attack.

The OP:

Bob Devaney--won an MNC, must have the IT factor

Tom Osborne--won an MNC, must have the IT factor

Bo Pelini--hasn't won an MNC, must not have the IT factor

Bill Callahan--didn't win an MNC, must not have the IT factor

Frank Solich--didn't win an MNC, must not have the IT factor

I see more than just we Bo supporters bringing up MNCs.

The OP:

Okay...I think Gundy and Patterson have the "it" factor. So now what?

The OP:

Okay...I think Gundy and Patterson have the "it" factor. So now what?

Now that you say it that way, it doesn't seem like you're claiming MNCs determine it factors. See how it was interpreted that way though?

It's it!

What is it?

It's it!

What is it?

It's it!

What is it?

It's it!

What is it?

You want it all but you can't have it.

This "It" factor stuff is so ridiculous. Does he have larfdargle? He might have larfdogle but not as much larfdogle as the larfdogliest.

That Osborne, with his stone faced-gum-chewing demeanor clearly doesn't have enough It. This new angry guy isn't nearly It enough. But I say we scan his clothes for It residue.