Sporting News

np_husker

Everything that could go wrong for this team, did go wrong Saturday. This was a football game, but a lot of costly mistakes, and costly penalties really put the game into Michigan's hands. Not to take away from Michigan though. They played very well on both sides of the ball. Their defensive line dominated our offensive front. We were simply outcoached.

The article only spoke from the facts. Sadly under Bo we are a true Jekyl and Hyde team. 2008 first year and then in 2009-2010 great D no O. This year exposed and overrated D and a schizophrenic O with still no identity.

We have laid eggs every season. Something needs to change. I am not calling to fire Bo, but we need to find an identity and stick with it. This multiple, aggressive, I was stubborn BS has got to go. If we want to be uptempo, do it. FOR A WHOLE FRIGGIN GAME, not one series.

Our strength program needs to be evaluated. We have the conditioning to go the distance, but do we have the physical strength? Gotta find that happy medium. Year 4 with yet another crappy O line. Really? Four years. Can anyone honestly say we are doing better. Yes we are top 5 rushing, but we can't regularly get a 3rd and 1 on the ground, that is an issue. Bo also needs to check his stubbornness at the door. As someone mentioned in a previous thread, until TO went to the option O to compete we had some issues. Same with D until McBride pulled a wholesale change as well.

I think we also need to really play the kids we recruit as soon as we can, don't burn RShirts on some crap series and find the line between performing in practice vs actually getting it done in games. Same with the whole dog house crap. Discipline, but not to the point kids never see the field again.

Evaluate our DB coach/technique. PJ and Osbourne comepletely absent this year. Why? Dennard, although injured to start, does not lok near as fluid as last year. Hell even Cassidy played much better last year.

Coaches need to really evaluate where they are, where they want to be and do what it takes in the off season to get their ie recruiting, coaches ganing/losing responsibilities, strength program and ID what we want to be on O.

My hope is that if the rumors are true and Cotton is being promoted out of coaching, we spend Trump money to bring in a top notch O-line coach. The line is certainly improved, but honestly I think it's time to stop pu&&y footing around with hires and just spend the damn money. I'm forced into the position of staying on the fence about Beck. He's had some success turning the offense around, but has some Watsgrovian lapses from time to time to make up for it.

The fire Bo stuff is ludicrous--insane. We've still got a shot at a 10-win season. Iowa plays into our strengths on defense (well, we don't really have any strength but David/Dennard). Our bowl game gives us extra time to prepare. However I don't see anything significantly changing season to season unless 1) Bo just so happens upon some astounding diamonds-in-the-rough talent, or 2) he breaks the streak of timidity in his hiring process and brings in proven, talented coaches and recruiters.

My hope is that if the rumors are true and Cotton is being promoted out of coaching, we spend Trump money to bring in a top notch O-line coach. The line is certainly improved, but honestly I think it's time to stop pu&&y footing around with hires and just spend the damn money. I'm forced into the position of staying on the fence about Beck. He's had some success turning the offense around, but has some Watsgrovian lapses from time to time to make up for it.

The fire Bo stuff is ludicrous--insane. We've still got a shot at a 10-win season. Iowa plays into our strengths on defense (well, we don't really have any strength but David/Dennard). Our bowl game gives us extra time to prepare. However I don't see anything significantly changing season to season unless 1) Bo just so happens upon some astounding diamonds-in-the-rough talent, or 2) he breaks the streak of timidity in his hiring process and brings in proven, talented coaches and recruiters.

This. All of this.

Bo is a great coach but next year we need a complete team for once in his career. No offense shows up one game then defense. I would rather our team get beat playing hard on both sides of the ball all 4 quarters than to have it blamed on the defense or offense not showing up it gets old fast.

I hear Callahan is available.

The problem with this, is that it has been going on for four years, and numerous posters have stated it. Calling it an attack is foolish, it is fact.

Bo will be a good coach, currently he is not. He has a lot to learn, and he has one of the best teachers at his side.

But things have to change and they have to change this off season. I do not care who they fire or hire, just qualified coaches, that have a history of winning. More than one job as a coach with a winning history. This is Nebraska and we need to start being Nebraska. Demanding the best, and no less. We supposedly spent money to get Bo, and have given him several pay raises, he needs to share some of that money and bring in qualified coaches, not buddies.

This was a very bad game, I think it will hurt recruiting. Not good. The longer this goes on the less likely we are to be able to draw a qualified assistant, a top recruit. It is beyond time to make corrections.

The problem with this, is that it has been going on for four years, and numerous posters have stated it. Calling it an attack is foolish, it is fact.

Bo will be a good coach, currently he is not. He has a lot to learn, and he has one of the best teachers at his side.

But things have to change and they have to change this off season. I do not care who they fire or hire, just qualified coaches, that have a history of winning. More than one job as a coach with a winning history. This is Nebraska and we need to start being Nebraska. Demanding the best, and no less. We supposedly spent money to get Bo, and have given him several pay raises, he needs to share some of that money and bring in qualified coaches, not buddies.

This was a very bad game, I think it will hurt recruiting. Not good. The longer this goes on the less likely we are to be able to draw a qualified assistant, a top recruit. It is beyond time to make corrections.

Great post. I look at the recent hires, Beck (no experience), Raymond (Utah State 111th in Pass D IIRC) Fish (HS and Golf Pro) and I can't even remember the new LB coach. Not saying these guys will not or cannot turn into top notch coaches, BUT as you stated this is NU. We couldn't go out and get proven position coaches and an OC that could actually bring a system we could use?

I also think that we will take a hit with recruiting with the losses in big games, the burning of red shirts for a series or two or our complete inability to know what we do on O and the issues of very few Fresh or Sophs getting an opportunity to contribute on anything other than special teams.

Article is nothing more than a cheap shot at Nebraska. If a tree fell on The Sporting News would anybody hear it?

Agree. If I recall correctly, when Sporting News was grading coaching hires 4 years ago, it's salivating incestuous lap-dogging of Rich Rodgiquez was beyond obscene. Typically, they listed Bo as a C-.

Since then the mag has regressed from a weekly to a bi-monthly to a monthly (and when I phoned the number they offered for a refund after the latest cutback..........it mysteriously went unanswered for almost a week).

So their credibility is non-existent. However, in spite of themselves, they have identified a few of our weaknesses and we must own up to that. Beyond that.................it's a hit piece.