Shatel: Changing barometer for NU?

Nexus

The biggest issue it Bo took over a mediocre to bad program with his brother as a DC. The cupboard was loaded with 3 years of good recruiting by Callahan and I think many including myself saw a repeat of Stoops and OU (had he had at least a sh**ty offense in 09 it wouldve) but as it has turned out he is not bob stoops. Hell no, he is Bo Pelini. I like the column, has kind of a eery tone, but it is very truthful, and Shatel seems to personally take Bo's side. but I'll say this, if next year goes like this year and we win 9-10 games again and maybe fail to make the championship game and/or win it and the big damn boosters and the school pull another Solich and oust this guy cuz he doesnt quite fill the trophy case then it will be the straw for me. I will throw out every bit of Husker gear I own and will no longer be associated with this program. I know expectations are high and winning comes first but in the condition of college sports with all the scandals and players getting in trouble I want you to think about this. How many players have been in trouble this year and/or are struggling with school. We had one incident, a player beat up a frickin paper towel dispenser. Oh yeah, I forgot the one where we gave our players too many books. Bo is doing things the right way and he said it best after the Penn St., tho under different circumstances, that even the coaches are involved in a university system and that job #1 is to educate. Championships and trophies for us fans to brag about on rivals.com are great but if we consistently get to 9-10 wins without ever having to go through what Penn St., Ohio St. Miami, USC, even Oklahoma had to recently surrender a year of wins, then I'm am perfectly fine with that, and for those who arent, then they need to take a serious look in the mirror and completely restructure their morales. And yes, I am very angry, extremely aggrevated that Bo future is even remotely in question. Even if rumors are untrue, just the fact that people start them shows how much disconnect with perspective they have. After the NW game i came home and the first thread I saw was "Bo must go". I was shocked, in utter disbelief at the stuff I was reading. Then after the Michigan game I was just mad. If we oust him for the reasons stated, throw Nebraska football to the gutter, becuase it will NEVER recover.

As far as the recruiting goes, maybe he doesnt want the big dogs. Maybe we dont want the next Terrel Prior or Reggie Bush. I bet Ohio St. and USC are just tickled pink now that they had them. This is a clean program, it always has been. And that cannot be sacraficed by any means whatsoever, even as hard as we tried during the Callahan dark ages.

Excellent post. I read the article too and was pleased at the position Shatel took. Bo is like fine wine...gets better with age :) Here's to the continued restoration of a great football team!

Wow, good post accountability. Bo may be rough around the edges, personality wise, but he is a very descent person. He reminds me of me, people take me the wrong way too. I would not trade Mark (Bo)!

I was surprise at Shatel article as well.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

If beating Iowa was a panacea for the boosters who want Bo gone they are idiots and we'd be better off without their money.

I don't think these boosters are unhappy with Bo's knowledge of coaching.

These boosters are frustrated with his sideline behavior and the way he speaks to the media. Carl having an affair with a boosters daughter-inlaw doesn't help either. These guys are looking for any reason to get the Pelini's out.

And you know all of this because........

:wtf

Well, I searched and found some rumors articles and chats from other fan bases talking about it but nothing came out of it that I know of, if Carl had an affair, or not.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

If beating Iowa was a panacea for the boosters who want Bo gone they are idiots and we'd be better off without their money.

These boosters are frustrated with his sideline behavior and the way he speaks to the media. Carl having an affair with a boosters daughter-inlaw doesn't help either. These guys are looking for any reason to get the Pelini's out.

I know this booster's son and the son's ex-wife.

These are the opinions of idiots. If they want the Bros. Pelini out then we're better off without them, their money and their idiocy.

• Fire 1

I feel and certainly hope that TO would retire before he would fire Bo for a 9-3 season. We went down that road once and look where it got us. Next year will more than likely be similar to this one. We play the same Big 10 schedule. Wisc shouldn't be as good next year unless they find another Qb in the weeds. OSU might be pretty good depending on what they do with coaches. PSU shouldn't be great with the players they loose. Michigan will be good....Mich St probably not so good. We play at NW so lets not get upset there again looking ahead. The recruits who redshirted this year will add strength to our depth issues. Todd Peat should be a factor on the D line. David will be missed at Lb lets hope the redshirts can fill most of the void.

The offense better be ready to carry the load for most of the season. I do hope Bo can see his way to play the young kids in places they can succeed early. We'll need them for the Big 10.

These boosters are frustrated with his sideline behavior and the way he speaks to the media. Carl having an affair with a

boosters daughter-inlaw doesn't help either. These guys are looking for any reason to get the Pelini's out.

These are the opinions of idiots. If they want the Bros. Pelini out then we're better off without them, their money and their idiocy.

I'm pretty sure if you were a booster and Carl wrecked your sons marriage, you would want him gone as well. It's just as much Andrea's fault but what was Carl thinking? This is not a rumor by an idiot, this is a fact. Grant is a good friend of mine, and I know exactly what happened.

I hope Bo stays a long time, but I wouldn't be heart broken if HotCarl got a new job.

Unless these boosters names sound like Marren Duffett, or Gnarls Muart, their money is easily replaceable by people who actually have vision beyond their immediate family.

:wtf

Well, I searched and found some rumors articles and chats from other fan bases talking about it but nothing came out of it that I know of, if Carl had an affair, or not.

LOL!

Was reading "What it Means to be a Husker" yesterday, and two things Tom Osborne said in the foreword apply to this situation. Tom said consistency and carryover with the guys on his staff were huge for the program, and he said having people around him who he knew well was also very big. Unless the program really starts to fall under Bo, firing him would be a huge mistake.

What I want to know is who does this "booster" think we will hire if we fire Bo? What good coach in his right mind would come to a place where if you win 10 games your job is on the line? Even then, if he is not a Nebraska man through and through and he is a good coach, he will probably get hired away by a Texas or Florida. It is sad, but also true. They can pay more money, recruiting is easier, and they can get better assistant coaches because they are willing to pay more money.

I think a major aspect this is always overlooked by everyone complaining about Bo hiring his "high school buddies" is the trust and loyalty that goes along with it. By showing the assistants loyalty, they will in turn share their loyalty and stick around. Continuity is a huge part of college coaching, by having our coaches stick around relationships that are built with recruits during the season are not lost when the assistant either leaves or gets fired. Hopefully, our assistants keeps improving and stick around and in 5 or 6 years we will have some of the best assistants in the game. Look back at Osborne, he had McBride and Tenopir, they stuck around forever and eventually became some of the best position coaches.

If you ever need some reminders that Bo is headed in the right direction all you need to do is read some of Osborne's and John Wooden's books. I've read them all and trust me, Bo will get us where we want to go, you just have to tough it out through these 10 win seasons.

Exactly.

I remember clearly U. Meyer laughing at NU's firing Frank/Bo for going 10 - 3 in 2003. We do something that insanely STUPID again and we're Minnesota as no good coach would even consider going to a program that fires two coaches in the last decade for winning 9 or 10 games.

Many, many NU fans simply can't comprehend was a huge black-mark that was and still is. Good coaches do though.

Seriously, we do that again we can bury NU for decades. Yeah, Bo has a lot to learn but right or wrong he's our guy. Hunker down HuskerNation........

GBR!!

• Fire 1

"You're starting to hear Pelini say that trophies aren't everything."

Does this bother anybody else that Bo said this? I think it's great he is focused on the kids academics and their representation of the university and the state of Nebraska. But we also brought him in to win trophies/championships. That's why he's making a $hitload of money as a coach, not just to be a mentor, but a CHAMPION!

"You're starting to hear Pelini say that trophies aren't everything."

Does this bother anybody else that Bo said this? I think it's great he is focused on the kids academics and their representation of the university and the state of Nebraska. But we also brought him in to win trophies/championships. That's why he's making a $hitload of money as a coach, not just to be a mentor, but a CHAMPION!

Kind of like TO's book "More than winning". We should have fired him too.