$2.78, Bo Pelini, Nebraska, 3, two Big 12 title game appearances

$2.75, Jimbo Fisher, Florida St., 1, one ACC title game appearance

$2.75, Will Muschamp, Florida, 0,

$2.55, Gary Pinkel, Missouri, 20, one top-5 season

$2.50, Bret Bielema, Wisconsin, 5, two top-10 seasons

$2.50, Houston Nutt, Mississippi, 14, two SEC title game appearances

$2.44, Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech, 9, one ACC championship

$2.30, Jeff Tedford, California, 9, one top-10 season

Odd question...how many times has Nebraska been in the top ten since Bo has been coach?

I can think of a couple times...so does that answer the question?

Lots of teams make it into the Top 10, how many times have they FINISHED in the top 10?

Just sayin, did the OP wonder if Bo is a finishing top-10 coach, or a coach who can get his team in the top 10?

as of 2010- Salaries, years as FBS Coach and Highest accomplishment

$5.17, Nick Saban, Alabama, 15, two national championships

$5.10, Mack Brown, Texas, 26, one national championship

$4.53, Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, 12, one national championship

$4.00, Lane Kiffin, USC, 2, 15-11 career record

$3.78, Kirk Ferentz, Iowa, 12, four top-10 seasons

$3.75, Les Miles, LSU, 10, one national championship

$3.65, Jim Tressel, Ohio State, 10, one national championship

$3.56, Bobby Petrino, Arkansas, 7, two top-10 seasons

$2.94, Jim Grobe, Wake Forest, 16, one ACC championship

$2.81, Mark Richt, Georgia, 10, six top-10 seasons

$2.80, Steve Spurrier, S. Carolina, 21, one national championship

$2.80, Chip Kelly, Oregon, 2, BCS title game appearance

$2.78, Bo Pelini, Nebraska, 3, two Big 12 title game appearances

$2.75, Jimbo Fisher, Florida St., 1, one ACC title game appearance

$2.75, Will Muschamp, Florida, 0,

$2.55, Gary Pinkel, Missouri, 20, one top-5 season

$2.50, Bret Bielema, Wisconsin, 5, two top-10 seasons

$2.50, Houston Nutt, Mississippi, 14, two SEC title game appearances

$2.44, Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech, 9, one ACC championship

$2.30, Jeff Tedford, California, 9, one top-10 season

'

How many of those coaches, when you see their name, conjure and offensive identity (or the program)? Until we establish an identity offensively, recruit consistently for this identity, we as a program will never be a top 10 program and Bo will not be a top 10 coach.

• Fire 1

Not even close.....can he get there sure but he still has a lot of growing to do...when his teams consistently beat teams they aren't supposed to beat and the yearly let down against an underdog stops then he might be considered a top 10 coach.

So who does that leave under your criteria?

I'm not even sure what you mean by the first one. If you consistently beat teams you aren't supposed to, doesn't that mean you're pretty decent and thus you should win more games?

As for the second, I count about six BCS teams who fit this criteria this year - LSU, Alabama, Stanford, Arkansas, Georgia and Kansas St. And that's just this year. Last year Colorado beat both Georgia and K St. So in just the last two years, you have a total of four coaches who even meet the second criteria. Time for a little rationality.

If you have to win a CC, BCS game, or NC to make the top 10 list, within 4 years, then the OP's posted list just got even shorter and not by only Bo.

There is nobody on that list who I would rather have right now instead of Bo. A lot of that has to do with simply not wanting ANY big program changes made because of the detrimental effect of change but plenty of it has to do with thinking Bo will get us there. I don't care what number rank people want to put on Bo, he's our coach so he's number 1 in my book. People complain about his demeanor and treatment of the media but those same people and that same media behave in ways that fuel that same demeanor issue. Give the guy some friggin support. We're 9-3 our first year in a new conference and we'll be playing in one of the better non-BCS bowls against a very good opponent. I have some concerns but nothing approaching the seismic change some people seem to be clamoring for. It really is quite sad. It's as if many people are totally incapable of learning anything from the past. Learn from the amount of time Tom was given and what that allowed to develope. Learn what our program looked like when Frank was fired. And for Godsakes learn what happened with the acquisition of Clownahan. If you can't grasp that then, IMO, you're too stupid to be a Husker fan. :rant

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Bo is #1...........I am glad someone said it.

Right now I don't consider Bo a top 10 coach but I think a lot of people need to chill. Every year since Bo has been here we've had a different offense 2008: West Coast 2009: Spread West Coast, then whatever that 3 play stuff was supposed to be 2010: Spread Option 2011: Multiple. We finally have a descent offensive coordinator and made big gains this season. Also, we are finally getting some good recruits not THE TOP recruits but we have a lot of young talent on the team. No matter what people think we are still rebuilding and it's going to take a few more years before we are consistently a top 10 team.

GO BO!

How many of those coaches, when you see their name, conjure and offensive identity (or the program)? Until we establish an identity offensively, recruit consistently for this identity, we as a program will never be a top 10 program and Bo will not be a top 10 coach.

Of the ones with "National Title" by their name - Saban, Brown, Stoops, Miles, Tressel, Spurrier - three are defense (Saban, Stoops, Miles), two aren't strongly either way (Brown, Tressel) and only one is mainly know for offense (Spurrier). I don't suppose I have to remind you what happened to Spurrier's offense the first time he played for a national title, do I?

I believe somebody once said something about defense and championships.

National Champions as far back as I could find Defensive Rankings:

2003 LSU - Saban - #2 defense

2004 USC (vacated) - Carroll - #7 defense

2005 Texas - Brown - #6 defense

2006 Florida - Meyer - #10 defense

2007 LSU - Miles - #3 defense (must of had a great DC)

2008 Florida - Meyer - #8 defense

2009 Alabama - Saban - #2 defense

2010 Auburn - Chizek - #54 defense

2011 LSU - Miles - #2 defense

2011 Alabama - Saban - #1 defense

Looks to me that unless you have somebody named Tebow or Newton, you better have a Top 7 defense. And only Auburn got by with smoke, mirrors and no defense (they beat three below-average teams by a field goal each, one in overtime).

Guys like Gary Patterson and Chris Peterson don't make that list, huh?

I think Bo is a good coach. Not sure I would say Top Ten. He'll have a ways to get there. Right now I tend to think he is an all-star coordinator, and time will tell if he can be an all-star CEO as well.

Not to mention, Bo's winning percentage over four years is being stacked up against many who have done it longer.