Something I notice when I'm watching the 'elite' teams this year....

I fail to understand the mentality that even if you don't preform you can keep your scholarship. Let's not lie to ourselves about why most of these kids are in school..

If you get an ROTC scholarship and fail to preform as a cadet....no more scholarship

Same with academics

Is it any different with Athletics?....and should it be?

you might be right, i think the problem with oversigning is more that teams are basically skirting the scolarship limit, those who dont operate in this manner are left behind, because they are being limited.

I fail to understand the mentality that even if you don't preform you can keep your scholarship. Let's not lie to ourselves about why most of these kids are in school..

If you get an ROTC scholarship and fail to preform as a cadet....no more scholarship

Same with academics

I agree completely. Now with the new rules passed in October scholarships may not be revoked for performance.

I think that stinks. Kid get fat a lazy and gets to stay around because he used to be in shape to earn the scholarship originally.

Same with academics

you might be right, i think the problem with oversigning is more that teams are basically skirting the scolarship limit, those who dont operate in this manner are left behind, because they are being limited.

Yea I can see the problem with oversigning. It's wrong to tell a kid.."oh yea we've got a spot for you" and then yank it. That's messed up.

Same with academics

Yea I can see the problem with oversigning. It's wrong to tell a kid.."oh yea we've got a spot for you" and then yank it. That's messed up.

I have always been under the impression that college was supposed to train young people for life after school. If a person accepts a job at a company and then doesn't perform, guess what they lose their job unless they have a gov't job. Allowing someone to stay on keeping their scholarship even though they'll never see playing time really isn't doing the team or the kid any favors with regards to how the real World works. The NFL sure doesn't have a problem releasing players who don't pan out no matter how high they were drafted. If the kid really believes he can play ball, they always have the ability to transfer.

Personally, I don't have a problem with what Bama and LSU are doing. They're working within the rules. They typically always end up with highly ranked recruiting classes. It must not hurt recruiting. If a coach or a team doesn't want to follow in the same footsteps as those two programs, so be it. However, they shouldn't then whine and cry about.