Something I notice when I'm watching the 'elite' teams this year....

I watched most of the LSU game (until it got out of hand) but wasn't watching who was in that closely? I find it really hard to believe they were going that deep. Maybe at running back but I doubt they were playing more than two deep at most other positions. What guys were you seeing in there?

By the way, LSU didn't even go to their senior backup QB who's started several games in his career even though they had 12 yards of offense and no first downs at the half. Apparently it worked out.

Lee supposedly has a elegibility problem, grades are not good and most likely will not play in the bowl game.

I think I heard this, not exactly sure but thought I heard they were playing a fourth string DT late in the game and something about 10-20 Dlinemen. REALLY!!!!!

The speed and aggressive play is what I noticed, but I will say that Wisky and Sparty are really going at it!!!!! What a great game for the first CCG. On Wisconsin, beat the Ducks!!!!!

Lee supposedly has a elegibility problem, grades are not good and most likely will not play in the bowl game.

I think I heard this, not exactly sure but thought I heard they were playing a fourth string DT late in the game and something about 10-20 Dlinemen. REALLY!!!!!

The speed and aggressive play is what I noticed, but I will say that Wisky and Sparty are really going at it!!!!! What a great game for the first CCG. On Wisconsin, beat the Ducks!!!!!

Yeah! Go Badgers!!! Whooo Hooo!!

one reason that SEC teams (and especially the elite ones) can go so deep on their rosters is because of oversigning and releasing kids from their scholarships if they don't perform on the filed, these two things basically go hand and hand and although they're pretty unethical, this is not technically against the rules, think about that for a second, think about the kind of impact that this could have on your roster, they passed the "Houston Nutt rule" a few years ago (IIRC) in the SEC that limits schools to signing only 28 kids to LOIs per year, yes 28, over the course of 4 years that's basically an extra recruiting class, no...? they call it the Houston Nutt rule because he used to regularly sign 30+ kids per year to LOIs, only to leave a few kids with signed LOIs hanging every year when it came time to enroll, or not renew scholarships of kids already on scholarship that weren't performing to make room for the new kids, pretty crappy thing to do to a kid that could've gone somewhere else and NOT had this problem, the Big Ten only lets you sign the number of LOIs that you have available scholarship slots for, the SEC doesn't have these restrictions and the schools find ways to basically force kids out so the scholarship doesn't have to be renewed and becomes available for someone else, the SEC fans know about it, but just don't care, to them it's just part of the business of big time college football...

here's a site that explains it better than I do with much more examples...

http://oversigning.com/testing/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnlYwinkl-E

• Fire 1

That website skews a lot of its numbers and conveniently leaves out information. Just look at the Bryce Sherman article. Spurrier allows around 5 scholarships a year to be open to give to walk-ons...guys who EARN a spot on the team. Bryce Sherman was a walk-on from the track team. Every walk-on knows that the scholarship offer is for only one year. This way they can be sure that the guys who work the hardest and fit the team best take those last few spots. Sherman didn't fit the team best so he didn't receive the same scholarship offer the next year.

That website skews a lot of its numbers and conveniently leaves out information. Just look at the Bryce Sherman article. Spurrier allows around 5 scholarships a year to be open to give to walk-ons...guys who EARN a spot on the team. Bryce Sherman was a walk-on from the track team. Every walk-on knows that the scholarship offer is for only one year. This way they can be sure that the guys who work the hardest and fit the team best take those last few spots. Sherman didn't fit the team best so he didn't receive the same scholarship offer the next year.

if he knows this then he should allot 20 LOIs for this year and every year, right...? you guys already have 20 commitments for the incoming class, but do you really think that your recruiting class complete...? if he knows that 5 are set aside that means you guys won't be signing anyone except the 20 kids already committed, right...? I have a feeling you'll be picking up a few more recruits from now until NSD...

85 is the limit and you said 5 every year go to walk ons, so that would be 80 commits/LOIs over 4 years, 20 per year, give or take a few for academic reasons, correct...? just last year you guys had 32 kids commit, just a "little bit" more than the 20 he should be signing to LOIs every year, right...? 2010 had 23 commits, 2009 had 29, that's 94 commitments that you guys have received in just the last three classes, 23 in 2008, 31 in 2007, 24 in 2006, do I really need to go on...? I realize that not all of those kids qualified, but a simple search of recruiting sites doesn't really support your argument here...

if he knows this then he should allot 20 LOIs for this year and every year, right...? you guys already have 20 commitments for the incoming class, but do you really think that your recruiting class complete...? if he knows that 5 are set aside that means you guys won't be signing anyone except the 20 kids already committed, right...? I have a feeling you'll be picking up a few more recruits from now until NSD...

85 is the limit and you said 5 every year go to walk ons, so that would be 80 commits/LOIs over 4 years, 20 per year, give or take a few for academic reasons, correct...? just last year you guys had 32 kids commit, just a "little bit" more than the 20 he should be signing to LOIs every year, right...? 2010 had 23 commits, 2009 had 29, that's 94 commitments that you guys have received in just the last three classes, 23 in 2008, 31 in 2007, 24 in 2006, do I really need to go on...? I realize that not all of those kids qualified, but a simple search of recruiting sites doesn't really support your argument here...

Many of those kids don't qualify and are placed in prep or JUCO. Some of those same commits are added into the next class and therefore are counted twice...once in two different classes. Some of those kids also don't qualify at all for USC. Then there's the fact that many are lost to the draft/transfer (on their own accord) along with the seniors that leave. USC has lost a LOT of juniors (and RS Soph) to the NFL draft in the past few years...many of which don't get drafted at all.

I fail to understand the mentality that even if you don't preform you can keep your scholarship. Let's not lie to ourselves about why most of these kids are in school..

If you get an ROTC scholarship and fail to preform as a cadet....no more scholarship

Same with academics

Is it any different with Athletics?....and should it be?

• Fire 1

That is a real problem at Nebraska. To do that, we seem to always need to be well in control of the game, which very rarely happens anymore. Which leaves us the following season with no players that have that much game experience, and back-ups that have none.

According to a few on this board, we never have played more than maybe 8 guys total on the line during the season, which I argue is false. I remember when Osborne was HC, there were plenty of times when we were playing 3d and 4th string players in the 2nd half, and still scoring...because we had control of the game by then. Seems like what happens now is we wait until the 2nd half to make the necessary adjustments just to barely win the game...

That is a real problem at Nebraska. To do that, we seem to always need to be well in control of the game, which very rarely happens anymore. Which leaves us the following season with no players that have that much game experience, and back-ups that have none.

According to a few on this board, we never have played more than maybe 8 guys total on the line during the season, which I argue is false. I remember when Osborne was HC, there were plenty of times when we were playing 3d and 4th string players in the 2nd half, and still scoring...because we had control of the game by then. Seems like what happens now is we wait until the 2nd half to make the necessary adjustments just to barely win the game...

My issue with this is if you wait around for a "perfect" time to rotate in subs it may never happen, then you are really screwed when someone goes down to injury or graduates. I'm a fan of rotating in subs during a couple of series as a plan while the game is still in doubt (2nd, 3rd quarter). If you set that precedent you know who's a gamer (rather than practice star) and they are acclimated to game speed. Pelini seemed to do this more in the past with guys like Cody Green, Zac Lee, etc. I'm concerned Pelini's stubborness gets the better of him at times to the detrement of the on-field results.