DC Candidates?

I was defining "success" the way kchusker (and others) do - winning national championships. Apparently anything less than that is grounds for dismissal.

I dont' need an MNC. An appearance in the B1G championship would be nice though...

He has made a Conference Championship game 50% of the time. Can't think of a coach with a hire percentage with the same amount of years.

which is great, but those won't be much of a factor in 13'. i'm not saying he should be fired right now - you seem to keep implying that though. we're talking about a hypothetical 9 wins season w/ a hypothetical easy schedule in 13'. I think the schedule will be easy, I think Pelini will get 11 wins that year. in which case we won't be having this convo. but I do think his seat will be a little warm going into that season. Richt 11'

which is the point of all this discussion. pelini needs to get his staff set up this year for 13' (cotton gone), not wait until after next season so he goes into 13' with a rookie staff.

EDIT: and he got to those conference games w/ something like 3 conference losses. He likely won't have that luxury anymore. Ask Michigan.

Did you buy in the mid 90's, because nobodys value has ever been hire since.

Probably about 96ish, more in 99'.

I've been pretty pampered when it comes to Husker Football. My grandparents were alumi, had season tickets since the mid 60's past to my dad in the 70's. I've been following him to games since the mid 80's. We lost our season tickets when Pederson added the Manditor "donation" in '04 or '05. Since '09 I have had father inlaw who is good for going to about one game a year & giving me the other tickets. I lucky missed most of the Callahan games in person & only had to suffer thru them on TV.

I've only gotten to a handful of games. maybe 6-7...usually non-con games or KU. I enjoy my cheap beer, soft couch and TV too much. KC has some great sports bars a well. I do need to get my wife to a game though - i converted her from an MU fan fairly quickly...but she hasn't seen a game. I'm confident she'd be 100% sold after one. As it is now I catch her grading papers during the game which usually pisses me off so I send her to her office. :P

I was defining "success" the way kchusker (and others) do - winning national championships. Apparently anything less than that is grounds for dismissal.

I dont' need an MNC. An appearance in the B1G championship would be nice though...

He has made a Conference Championship game 50% of the time. Can't think of a coach with a hire percentage with the same amount of years.

which is great, but those won't be much of a factor in 13'. i'm not saying he should be fired right now - you seem to keep implying that though. we're talking about a hypothetical 9 wins season w/ a hypothetical easy schedule in 13'. I think the schedule will be easy, I think Pelini will get 11 wins that year. in which case we won't be having this convo. but I do think his seat will be a little warm going into that season. Richt 11'

which is the point of all this discussion. pelini needs to get his staff set up this year for 13' (cotton gone), not wait until after next season so he goes into 13' with a rookie staff.

EDIT: and he got to those conference games w/ something like 3 conference losses. He likely won't have that luxury anymore. Ask Michigan.

& what most of us are telling you is that firing him after a 9 win season, no matter how easy it is, will set a bad standard of what is expected here as a head coach. Setting the bar that high will scare off almost every coach. If Bo has a 9 win season in '12 & another 9 wins in '13. Some fans may call for his head, but not many more then are calling for it now.

I've only gotten to a handful of games. maybe 6-7...usually non-con games or KU. I enjoy my cheap beer, soft couch and TV too much. KC has some great sports bars a well. I do need to get my wife to a game though - i converted her from an MU fan fairly quickly...but she hasn't seen a game. I'm confident she'd be 100% sold after one. As it is now I catch her grading papers during the game which usually pisses me off so I send her to her office. :P

Well in all fairness she was a MU fan & I think most of them find other things to do on game days other then watch their team play.

& what most of us are telling you is that firing him after a 9 win season, no matter how easy it is, will set a bad standard of what is expected here as a head coach. Setting the bar that high will scare off almost every coach. If Bo has a 9 win season in '12 & another 9 wins in '13. Some fans may call for his head, but not many more then are calling for it now.

If he gets to 9 wins in 12' I agree. But, I don't see a 9 win season in 12'. That's a much tougher schedule than 11'. Normally I see 6-7 guarentee wins on the board. I can only pick out 3-4 next year. very early but...

SMU is a win

UCLA likely a win (though road game is scarey).

Arkansas State, with Gus will give us a run for our money. That's definately a toss up. We'll need to score.

The other game is likely a patsy.

Wisconsin - loss, I think they'll have Pelini's number for a few more years.

Ohio State - loss, no way we go to Columbus and take down Braxton.

Northwestern - toss up, but they likely will be favored after we come into the game w/ 2-3 losses.

Michigan - loss. Robinson, mobile QB, nuff said.

Michigan St. - toss up. away game so they'll likely be favored when we have 3-4 losses going in.

Penn State - toss up. i think we'll be favored but I have no idea how to guage that program at this point

Minnesota - win

Iowa - toss up. I think we should win, but it's an away game and I have no idea what our defense/offensive line will look like at this point.

To get to 9 we have to win all 5 of those toss ups. Just don't see it happening. it's not far fetched to think we'll go 3-2 during those, and finish 7-5.

If he gets to 9 wins in 12' I agree. But, I don't see a 9 win season in 12'. That's a much tougher schedule than 11'. Normally I see 6-7 guarentee wins on the board. I can only pick out 3-4 next year. very early but...

SMU is a win

UCLA likely a win (though road game is scarey).

Arkansas State, with Gus will give us a run for our money. That's definately a toss up. We'll need to score.

The other game is likely a patsy.

Wisconsin - loss, I think they'll have Pelini's number for a few more years.

Ohio State - loss, no way we go to Columbus and take down Braxton.

Northwestern - toss up, but they likely will be favored after we come into the game w/ 2-3 losses.

Michigan - loss. Robinson, mobile QB, nuff said.

Michigan St. - toss up. away game so they'll likely be favored when we have 3-4 losses going in.

Penn State - toss up. i think we'll be favored but I have no idea how to guage that program at this point

Minnesota - win

Iowa - toss up. I think we should win, but it's an away game and I have no idea what our defense/offensive line will look like at this point.

To get to 9 we have to win all 5 of those toss ups. Just don't see it happening. it's not far fetched to think we'll go 3-2 during those, and finish 7-5.

I see very similar results as this year for next.

Southern Miss - Win

UCLA -Toss up - Road test, but think they will come out on top.

Ark St - Win - Solid team, new coach, but still a Sun Belt Team.

Not sure - But Win

Wis - Toss up - They lose to much this year. The game will be close, but I see us pulling it off at home.

OSU - Loss - I think we "could" win this game, but wouldn't put my money on it. Braxton looks legit & will make OSU very good.

NW - Win - I don't see the team letting them repeat what they did this year.

Mich - Loss - If Robinson plays smart they will win, but will guess it will be a closer game.

Mich St - Win - Cousin's & Cunningham will be gone.

Penn St - Toss up - Hard to say what the will do next year. Could fall eaither way, but we get them at home.

MN - Win - yeah next

Iowa - Win - McNutt will be gone, Vandenburg will be back & who knows what Coker will be in trouble for by then.

I have 7 wins, 3 Toss ups & 2 Loses.

I would guess 9 wins, 3 loses & another bowl game. Sittin pretty much the same as this year with OSU & Mich in the Big 10 Champ Game & with a good bowl showing this year we may get a repeat bowl, again.

People here are amazing. There is not one reason to assume any game Nebraska ever plays is a guaranteed loss. No more so than saying a game is a guaranteed win. If we continue to play well and improve each week then we will be fine. Pelini is a good coach. We won't find anyone any better willing to come here. Relax and be a husker fan. Go watch the game and cheer. GBR!

I would guess 9 wins, 3 loses & another bowl game. Sittin pretty much the same as this year with OSU & Mich in the Big 10 Champ Game & with a good bowl showing this year we may get a repeat bowl, again.

Well, we know for a fact before a single game has been played OSU won't be in the B1G championship game... :)

Ahh forgot about recent bans. Doesn't help us though. Its also less money in the pot with the same amount of hands out.

People here are amazing. There is not one reason to assume any game Nebraska ever plays is a guaranteed loss. No more so than saying a game is a guaranteed win. If we continue to play well and improve each week then we will be fine. Pelini is a good coach. We won't find anyone any better willing to come here. Relax and be a husker fan. Go watch the game and cheer. GBR!

Wow settle down there. We were giving our "Opinons" of how we feel the season will go next year. If you don't like what we say you always have the right to go to a different thread.

If Bo was going to promote from within he would have already done that right? If Bo was going to hire someone available now (Stoops), he would have already done that right? The only thing I can think of is our next DC will be here as soon as the team he is currently with plays their bowl game.

Could be...............or it could be that JP is going to get it and the replacement for him is currently with another team....................too many scenarios...........just going to have to wait on Bo's timetable..............

I'm pretty convinced of the following scenario:

- JP is not the first choice or he would have been named already. If he was the sure DC, you'd want to name him that, if nothing else so he'd have more "clout" with recruits, especially with all the defensive guys we're after. You can wait to fill in position coaches until whoever you pick is available.

- JP is the second (or maybe third) choice which is what Pelini and Osborne are talking about when they say there is "a plan."

- We are waiting on one of two scenarios to play out:

--- Stoops (or possibly someone similar but I can't think of who else would fit his situation) is waiting to see if he gets another head job or possibly Venables leaves for a head job (Houston?) and Stoops goes back to Oklahoma. I would think the bigger head jobs would be filling shortly so this should play out sooner rather than later.

--- The other possibility is we have an agreement with someone but they don't want to announce until after their bowl game. Again, probably playing out in the next couple weeks.

Obviously there are a lot of scenarios but I think something along those lines makes the most sense.

I tend to agree. Its the only possibility that makes sense to me. The whole thing about Bo messing with the media wouldnt completely surprise me considering his track record, but would have to think TO wouldn't be on board with that approach, nor do I ultimately believe Bo thinks that would be the appropriate way to handle biz.

Ever since the media's been pumping JP, it would seem more and more odd that Bo wouldn't just announce it. Can't see the benefit in letting it fester. I don't believe an internal hire would require much complication, but as Mavric mentions, if the "plan" doesnt work out, it may go to JP by default.

I see Houston just named their interim coach (Tony Levine) as permanent HC. That was one of the last spots I thought was likely for Stoops or some of the "bigger names" to go. We'll see if that brings any movement out of that camp. Doesn't seemt to make much sense for us if we did hire another DLine coach already but maybe the pieces are finally shaking out.