Do I really have to start the SWTOR topic?

to be honest, i would have preferred the game to have been offline, single player like the original KOTOR. that being said, bioware really out did themselves with this game and that's saying something.

they put a LOT of time into building story lines for each of the classes and everything just seams to flow silky smooth.

right now i'm playing as a light side sith, which of course sounds completely counter-intuitive and you'd think that the game play would be lacking. it's not. in fact, it's absolutely amusing how citizens of the sith empire and jedis react to a character that should be evil incarnate but is actually a pretty cool dude.

case in point, SPOILERS one of the missions you run as a sith acolyte you and a group of prospective apprentices are supposed to gather shards from mosaics located in three separate sith tombs. failure is not an option: if you show up without the shards, master basras will kill you.

you get the shards, head back to basras and you're ambushed by one of the acolytes who failed to enter the tombs but figured he'd just kill you and take yours (sith logic, natch). you beat him and are presented with a couple of choices, one of them is giving him your shards and then re-running the tombs again. you gain light side point for that.

later basras finds out that your would-be assassin pussed-out and just accepted the gift from you (real sith either do it or take it, nothing in between). the assassins fate is in your hands. if you say spare him so he can serve the empire further, you get more light points and the assassin is sent to the jails to be trained as a keeper.

final mission as an acolyte, the main villain of the initial arc tries to take you out before you get your light sabre but is foiled by the OTHER acolyte that you helped earlier. ultimately, the acolyte you spared gives his life protecting YOU. /SPOILERS.

that whole scenario unfolded in a way that didn't feel clunky at all. and the farther i play, the more interesting it gets.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If I remember right, you get the story mode F2P, but I don't think all the classes are open unless you had the class before it went F2P. The limitations are on the number of PvP, space and dungeons you can do. And it's pretty brutal on the restrictions. Kinda a community killer.

Subscription MMOs are pretty much dead, WoW, Rift and EVE might be the only 3. I see Buy to Play, ala GW2 becoming a more common option in the future.

If I remember right, you get the story mode F2P, but I don't think all the classes are open unless you had the class before it went F2P. The limitations are on the number of PvP, space and dungeons you can do. And it's pretty brutal on the restrictions. Kinda a community killer.

Subscription MMOs are pretty much dead, WoW, Rift and EVE might be the only 3. I see Buy to Play, ala GW2 becoming a more common option in the future.

Subscriptions MMO's aren't dead its just that there is more competition. Plus the people who play MMO's in North America isn't growing like in Asia. WoW still has 6+ million of subs. Most of those are in Asia though.

Subscriptions MMO's aren't dead its just that there is more competition. Plus the people who play MMO's in North America isn't growing like in Asia. WoW still has 6+ million of subs. Most of those are in Asia though.

The games are not dead, they are just all going F2P. Of the ones released in the last couple of years, Rift is I think the only one that has not gone F2P, or Buy to Play. WoW and EVE go back more years than that, and have a large installed base that isnt going anywhere.

The business model is changing, the games are relying more on microtransactions than the standard sub charge. Its debatable if this is good for games or not.

The games are not dead, they are just all going F2P. Of the ones released in the last couple of years, Rift is I think the only one that has not gone F2P, or Buy to Play. WoW and EVE go back more years than that, and have a large installed base that isnt going anywhere.

The business model is changing, the games are relying more on microtransactions than the standard sub charge. Its debatable if this is good for games or not.

The reason why most of the new games fail is because they focus too much on graphics and not enough on story or gameplay.

The reason why most of the new games fail is because they focus too much on graphics and not enough on story or gameplay.

Not in my opinion, with regard to MMO's anyway. Its mainly there are so many options. People buy the game, play it for a bit, often max out the levels, and move on. Fewer people are willing to get on the 'gear treadmill' that makes up the 'endgame' of MMO's.

SWoTR is a perfect example actually. Very story driven, and the gameplay was good too. But after many people, myself included, got through the story, I felt little reason to keep playing. Especially at $15 a month.

Not in my opinion, with regard to MMO's anyway. Its mainly there are so many options. People buy the game, play it for a bit, often max out the levels, and move on. Fewer people are willing to get on the 'gear treadmill' that makes up the 'endgame' of MMO's.

SWoTR is a perfect example actually. Very story driven, and the gameplay was good too. But after many people, myself included, got through the story, I felt little reason to keep playing. Especially at $15 a month.

Well they did try to take a first person game and make it into an MMO.