Florida Gulf Coast vs Nebraska

PC - I was probably less than 50 feet from Diaz when he dunked it, watched it with my own two eyes, and yet today I find myself saying the same thing: pictures or it never happened!

Saw the highlight on the news. Guess I was hoping it was a little more thunder. Oh, it was such big news it is the BIG picture on the front page of the Sports section.

Yeah, it happened and the crowd loved it (even though it could have been more dramatic). You'd think Diaz would feed off the crowd and dunk more often (and I actually asked Doc about that on his radio show last year) and he said that they encourage it but for whatever reason Diaz doesn't follow through. The only other highlight last night was we actually won the opening tip and the crowd was stunned. I think we should just defer to the start of the second half and start on defense...............

the crowd reaction to winning the tipoff was hilarious. it was literally a second of stunned silence followed by a roar of sarcastic applause...awesome. also, i think diaz did respond to the crowd in his own, soft little way. i'm pretty sure that twice after that he did his little flick-of-the-wrist-throw-the-ball-downward-pretend-dunk thing.

Am I a bad fan for wishing we lost this game? I figured a loss would have been one step closer to getting a real coach. :unsure:

While I can never root for a NU loss, it would have been better for the program if we did lose. A loss like this is the only way TO would even think of getting rid of Doc. Sans a single digit win season, Doc will unfortunately be back since we just got the new facilities and TO likes Doc.

I don't get it. We get rid of Doc who the hell are we going to bring in that's going to do better?

Am I a bad fan for wishing we lost this game? I figured a loss would have been one step closer to getting a real coach. :unsure:

While I can never root for a NU loss, it would have been better for the program if we did lose. A loss like this is the only way TO would even think of getting rid of Doc. Sans a single digit win season, Doc will unfortunately be back since we just got the new facilities and TO likes Doc.

I don't get it. We get rid of Doc who the hell are we going to bring in that's going to do better?

That is a terrible terrible mind set that will keep Nebrasketball in the exact same state.

anyone?

You really think nobody could do a better job then Doc? I like Doc. I think he has good work ethic as a coach. Seems like a good person but I have seen enough and have no reason to believe he is going to take us to the level that we should be. We have the practice facility. We will have the arena. We have the conference. There is no reason you can't succeed here now. I have seen nothing from Doc to make me believe he will ever be able to bring in the caliber of players to take us beyond what we are now. I have more or less given up on him, but if he can someway find a way to go above .500 in the Big 10 and make the dance, I would give him a year but honestly, it's almost laughable to imagine us being that good after what I have seen so far. I'd love to see Doc prove me wrong because I think he is a good guy.

Assuming Doc is gone, it's time to throw some serious money at a new coach either get a big name or go for the hot new coach and take basketball seriously. There is no reason that men's basketball shouldn't be a good money maker for the athletic department but you aren't going to do that paying a cheap coach to fill half the seats. Bill Self was at Tulsa and we wanted him but he chose to stay there instead. Then suddenly he was off to Illinois and then to Kansas and the rest is history. We should have did whatever it would have taken to get him here at the time. That's the kind of mentality we need now.

You really think nobody could do a better job then Doc? I like Doc. I think he has good work ethic as a coach. Seems like a good person but I have seen enough and have no reason to believe he is going to take us to the level that we should be. We have the practice facility. We will have the arena. We have the conference. There is no reason you can't succeed here now. I have seen nothing from Doc to make me believe he will ever be able to bring in the caliber of players to take us beyond what we are now. I have more or less given up on him, but if he can someway find a way to go above .500 in the Big 10 and make the dance, I would give him a year but honestly, it's almost laughable to imagine us being that good after what I have seen so far. I'd love to see Doc prove me wrong because I think he is a good guy.

Assuming Doc is gone, it's time to throw some serious money at a new coach either get a big name or go for the hot new coach and take basketball seriously. There is no reason that men's basketball shouldn't be a good money maker for the athletic department but you aren't going to do that paying a cheap coach to fill half the seats. Bill Self was at Tulsa and we wanted him but he chose to stay there instead. Then suddenly he was off to Illinois and then to Kansas and the rest is history. We should have did whatever it would have taken to get him here at the time. That's the kind of mentality we need now.

:rollin

Man, if you think that's going to happen you better take another puff of whatever it is you're smoking. Honestly, we'd all love to see that happen, but it won't. You're not going to get a big name here. Period. End of story. You could maybe get a hot new coach, but it'll take a LOT of money. When was the last time you knew Osborne to be a liberal spender?...

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the basketball program will have a better chance at success when Osborne is gone. Doesn't mean he can't make it happen, because I think if he fired Doc he make an honest attempt to get a great coach, but I'll stand by it: as long as T.O. is here, Nebrasketball will never be great.

Man, if you think that's going to happen you better take another puff of whatever it is you're smoking. Honestly, we'd all love to see that happen, but it won't. You're not going to get a big name here. Period. End of story. You could maybe get a hot new coach, but it'll take a LOT of money. When was the last time you knew Osborne to be a liberal spender?...

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the basketball program will have a better chance at success when Osborne is gone. Doesn't mean he can't make it happen, because I think if he fired Doc he make an honest attempt to get a great coach, but I'll stand by it: as long as T.O. is here, Nebrasketball will never be great.

Agreed. The other thing that would help Doc a ton(recruiting wise) that TO would veto in a heartbeat, is hiring an assistant with strong AAU ties. Look at programs that were have nots, and not a traditional power in hoops, their head coaches have gone out and got assistants with these ties. Hell even some big time programs have this connection. A move like this would increase the talent here at NU easily, whether it was coached up or allowed to stay on the floor after one turnover is another story.

Agreed. The other thing that would help Doc a ton(recruiting wise) that TO would veto in a heartbeat, is hiring an assistant with strong AAU ties. Look at programs that were have nots, and not a traditional power in hoops, their head coaches have gone out and got assistants with these ties. Hell even some big time programs have this connection. A move like this would increase the talent here at NU easily, whether it was coached up or allowed to stay on the floor after one turnover is another story.

Agree with all that. But the AAU is such a cesspool, I doubt T.O. would ever condone going that route, (especially for an assistant..............see Kansas St) I think the reason T.O. sticks with Doc is precisely because he has shied away from that...........(instead opting for multiple Euro's with only 1 good foot).

Agree with all that. But the AAU is such a cesspool, I doubt T.O. would ever condone going that route, (especially for an assistant..............see Kansas St) I think the reason T.O. sticks with Doc is precisely because he has shied away from that...........(instead opting for multiple Euro's with only 1 good foot).

Wasn't Doc tied to an AAU guy in Houston this offseason though? Nothing came of it, but I wouldn't exactly say he has shied away from it.

Wasn't Doc tied to an AAU guy in Houston this offseason though? Nothing came of it, but I wouldn't exactly say he has shied away from it.

If so, I don't recall it..................got any details...........??

If so, I don't recall it..................got any details...........??

From what I remember reading. It was a guy that started a Houston AAU team. He was some sort of investor for quite a few college coaches Doc, Danny Nee, I think Baylor's and a few others. Turns out the guy was being investigated by the government for fraud and ended up killing himself.

Obviously nothing huge came of it Doc is still coaching, but it still shows Doc doesn't really shy away from shady AAU guys anymore than the next coach.

Here's a link to an article about that investor/AAU guy.

LINK

OK, thanks for the link................I can't believe I totally blanked that out.

btw............loved the Nee quote.........“Whatever they said I did, I didn’t do,” Nee said...........

As for Doc, I do remember Alonzo Edwards as being a little raw, but looked to have potential.

I probably forgot the whole deal because if you are going to get the negative publicity by dealing with AAU guys, it would be fitting to at least get some production...............