Is Delany too old-school? (or an idiot?)

treyball3

Sadly I think he may be representing a good chuck of the actual opinions from long time big ten followers and fans. Listening to a number of the Nebraska media guys who traveled along to road games, and covered the big ten in general, getting to the Rose Bowl seems to be a bigger deal to many, if not all of the Big Ten schools. Even more important than wining a national title.

Its really not more important than winning a national championship, I have never heard anybody say that (not saying no one has, I just have never heard it. If higher ups in schools have said it, I am guessing they are playing the same political game as Delaney). What is important to the schools is that the Pac-12 and B1G get to keep it.

Well, two things: first, he knows exactly what he is doing. He is politicking.

This.

Delaney is doing everything he can to protect the BIG's aq status. He knows. as well as everyone else here, that the national perception against the BIG as a conference that is down every year and one that beats each other once as we do, will never get a bcs bowl bid if the aq statuses are removed and we go to this plus one system.

Go back over the BCS era & see how many years the Big Ten put a team in a second team in a BCS bowl as an at large bid, then compare that to the ACC, Big 12, Pac & even the SEC. The real world data is the exact opposite of the argument you are making.

Delany made a good move in adding NU but I haven't been happy with his more recent performance.

Letting Mizzou slip away was a huge mistake as is his approach to the playoffs. I get the wait and see attitude on it but to say we wouldn't participate if it came about is absolutely retarded.

"The Rose Bowl or nothing talk" comes with membership in the Big Ten however. You'll get used to it and it'll be a big deal for Husker fans as well. You'll want it.

Delany made a good move in adding NU but I haven't been happy with his more recent performance.

Letting Mizzou slip away was a huge mistake as is his approach to the playoffs. I get the wait and see attitude on it but to say we wouldn't participate if it came about is absolutely retarded.

"The Rose Bowl or nothing talk" comes with membership in the Big Ten however. You'll get used to it and it'll be a big deal for Husker fans as well. You'll want it.

I really don't get the Missouri thing that a lot of people continue to bring up. This is no slight against Mizzou, but there was no reason to bring in another team just because. If other conferences want to get huge so be it, that does not mean we need to as well and we don't need to add schools unless they are going to bring a huge value with them a la Nebraska and Penn State. Strictly from an economical view point, the next time our tv deals get negotiated we are going to see a huge jump on account of Nebraska. That's why it did not matter that they only have 1.8 million in population or whatever it is. The conference knew that our national tv contracts would make up for any difference in BTN rights. If Mizzou were brought in the only jump monetarily would have been from BTN rights because of the state population, our ABC contract would not have seen significant value change because MIzzou is not a national draw as Nebraska is. I just don't see the value added argument for Mizzou and if the argument is bring Mizzou in just because we need more teams, I have not seem any evidence that we need more teams. I really am not trying to bad mouth Mizzou, trying to stay as objective as I can as a homer.

No where does it say that conferences need to get to 16 teams to survive. If playoffs happen the B1G is going to be invited no matter if we stay at 12 teams and the ACC, SEC, and Pac-12 go to 16. Those conferences all realize they need the B1G involved.

I am also highly confident that Mizzou was discussed amongst the presidents when we brought Nebraska in. I am also guessing they instructed Delaney they did not want Mizzou for whatever reason. Delaney works for the presidents, they make the calls (obviously Delaney provides counsel) and Delaney carries out their wishes, it isn't the other way around.

I really hope that this is just bluffing at its purest form.I know the Rose Bowl is big in this conference but opting out of the National Championship would just be ridiculous. IF that happened I really wouldn't want to be a school apart of that.

I really wish that the B1G would grab Kansas. I think the pickup for basketball would be great for the league.

I really don't get the Missouri thing that a lot of people continue to bring up. This is no slight against Mizzou, but there was no reason to bring in another team just because. If other conferences want to get huge so be it, that does not mean we need to as well and we don't need to add schools unless they are going to bring a huge value with them a la Nebraska and Penn State. Strictly from an economical view point, the next time our tv deals get negotiated we are going to see a huge jump on account of Nebraska. That's why it did not matter that they only have 1.8 million in population or whatever it is. The conference knew that our national tv contracts would make up for any difference in BTN rights. If Mizzou were brought in the only jump monetarily would have been from BTN rights because of the state population, our ABC contract would not have seen significant value change because MIzzou is not a national draw as Nebraska is. I just don't see the value added argument for Mizzou and if the argument is bring Mizzou in just because we need more teams, I have not seem any evidence that we need more teams. I really am not trying to bad mouth Mizzou, trying to stay as objective as I can as a homer.

No where does it say that conferences need to get to 16 teams to survive. If playoffs happen the B1G is going to be invited no matter if we stay at 12 teams and the ACC, SEC, and Pac-12 go to 16. Those conferences all realize they need the B1G involved.

I am also highly confident that Mizzou was discussed amongst the presidents when we brought Nebraska in. I am also guessing they instructed Delaney they did not want Mizzou for whatever reason. Delaney works for the presidents, they make the calls (obviously Delaney provides counsel) and Delaney carries out their wishes, it isn't the other way around.

For me its about more than money. It's about competing for the top of CFB...I don't think its any coincidence that the rise of the SEC as the dominant conference coincided, at least in part, with their expansion...it helps with recruiting.

I just don't want to get left behind and have us continue to be seen as the dinosaur of football. I wanted to add ND and Mizzou but now the best I can hope for is KU and ND.

ND to the Big Ten will be the last conference they will consider joining. They would go to the ACC first so let's just forget about the Irish.

I say we look towards unhappy VaTech. A football school in a Bball conference where they have no power politically.

And unlike ND, VaTech brings good recruiting grounds

ND to the Big Ten will be the last conference they will consider joining. They would go to the ACC first so let's just forget about the Irish.

I say we look towards unhappy VaTech. A football school in a Bball conference where they have no power politically.

Why do you say that?

Up until a few months ago I'd say they'd have joined the Big East before us but right now I'd say that we're at the top of their list. (A list I'm sure they don't have)

He's right about that. a 4 team playoff will NEVER stick. It will be like College Basketball, adding teams to the playoff year after year until the regular season is almost meaningless.

Who said it has to be a 4-team playoff?

The NFL has a playoff system, and the regular season is still meaningful. Surely a playoff on a scale that works for D1A college football can be constructed. The way I see it, it can't be any worse than the clusterf*** that is the current BCS system.

Why do you say that?

Up until a few months ago I'd say they'd have joined the Big East before us but right now I'd say that we're at the top of their list. (A list I'm sure they don't have)

They think they will be irrelevant if they join the Big Ten

These guys would hate the thought of playing 12 games in the Midwest. It would kill their recruiting(no longer can you tell those Cali recruits about playing in Los Angeles and Palo Alto), Their entire "mythos" if you will, is playing games from Boston to Los Angeles.

They want to be in the ACC. That way they can play all along the East coast, keep rivalry games against Pitt, BC, GaTech and Miami of Florida as well as non conference with USC.

The ACC also fits their profile. Small, Private University. They will fit in with Miami of Florida,Wake,Duke,BC,etc

The Big Ten is a Huge Public University conference(with the NU exception).

They would join the Big XII,ACC or the Pac-12 before the Big Ten. I'm 100% sure of that.

Why do you say that?

They think they will be irrelevant if they join the Big Ten

These guys would hate the thought of playing 12 games in the Midwest. It would kill their recruiting(no longer can you tell those Cali recruits about playing in Los Angeles and Palo Alto), Their entire "mythos" if you will, is playing games from Boston to Los Angeles.

They want to be in the ACC. That way they can play all along the East coast, keep rivalry games against Pitt, BC, GaTech and Miami of Florida as well as non conference with USC.

The ACC also fits their profile. Small, Private University. They will fit in with Miami of Florida,Wake,Duke,BC,etc

The Big Ten is a Huge Public University conference(with the NU exception).

They would join the Big XII,ACC or the Pac-12 before the Big Ten. I'm 100% sure of that.

I get your reasoning and they'd probably be right to think as much...bottom line is joining any of the top 4 conferences wouldn't pan out well for them but hey you left out the SEC....so we're not the last conference they'd join :D

To be honest my feelings toward ND are pretty much the same that I had toward NU as far as expansion goes...except that I kind of liked NU...ND not so much. They just fit really well as far as rivalries, geography and culture go...

For me its about more than money. It's about competing for the top of CFB...I don't think its any coincidence that the rise of the SEC as the dominant conference coincided, at least in part, with their expansion...it helps with recruiting.

I just don't want to get left behind and have us continue to be seen as the dinosaur of football. I wanted to add ND and Mizzou but now the best I can hope for is KU and ND.

??? The SEC hadn't expanded in 20 years. They've been the dominant power for the last few years, before the current expansion was even dreamt of. I don't see any relationship between their power and expansion, much less trying to figure out whether it's a coincidence.

??? The SEC hadn't expanded in 20 years. They've been the dominant power for the last few years, before the current expansion was even dreamt of. I don't see any relationship between their power and expansion, much less trying to figure out whether it's a coincidence.

They've been dominant much longer than the last three. The SEC has won 7 of the past 13 going back to 1998 only 6 years after they started their CCG. In the years since their first expansion the SEC has won 8 NC's. In the 20 years prior to that they only won 3.

It took time for the weight of that expansion to hit recruits but I don't doubt for one moment that it didn't aid in their rise to power.