Is Delany too old-school? (or an idiot?)

treyball3

Anyone know who was responsible for the BiG reluctance to join the Bowl Alliance thing back in the '90's? (And kept us from beating Mechicken..I mean, Michigan in '97 so they could squeeze by WSU in the Rose Bowl while we had to settle for demolishing a #4 Tennessee with Peyton Manning)?

Not that I'm mad about sharing the MNC, but there seems to be a trend here.

And why do folks from this conference like the Rose Bowl so much? It's played WAY too close to L.A.

Anyone know who was responsible for the BiG reluctance to join the Bowl Alliance thing back in the '90's? (And kept us from beating Mechicken..I mean, Michigan in '97 so they could squeeze by WSU in the Rose Bowl while we had to settle for demolishing a #4 Tennessee with Peyton Manning)?

Not that I'm mad about sharing the MNC, but there seems to be a trend here.

And why do folks from this conference like the Rose Bowl so much? It's played WAY too close to L.A.

It's the game we all grew up watching. For the longest time it was the only bowl Big Ten teams could go to(look at the average amount of Big Ten bowl games per team) and it was special when your school got there.

It's still special. Not the way it used to be but you got the mountains in the backround and the paint on the field on a picture perfect day in Pasadena. can't be beat.

And then you go home away from LA when you're done :D

It's the game we all grew up watching. For the longest time it was the only bowl Big Ten teams could go to(look at the average amount of Big Ten bowl games per team) and it was special when your school got there.

The Rose Bowl payout was also good bit more than any of it's competitors at the time.

To help give a better understanding of the Big Ten history with and the importance of the Rose Bowl...

After TSUN played in the 1902 Rose Bowl the Big Ten did not allow members to play in ANY bowl until the Big Ten & Pac 8 tendered an agreement for their champions to meet annually in the Rose Bowl in starting in 1946. The Big Ten also made the decision not to send the same team two years in a row.

So when TSUN won the Big Ten for a second consecutive year in 1948 conference runner-up Northwestern was instead the Big Ten's representative in Pasadena (beating Cal 10-6). The lone exception for this was in 1961 when the Ohio State faculty voted to decline the invitation (to the consternation of alums, the student body & just about everyone else) allowing Minnesota to head out west for the second time in two years.

The league's decision resulted in every team in the conference except for Northwestern playing in the Rose Bowl between 1958-1968. The Big Ten rule remained in place until 1971 when it was finally rescinded (starting after the 72 season)...Ohio State went on to play in the next four Rose Bowls.

During this era the Rose Bowl was the ONLY bowl that Big Ten teams were allowed to play in, a rule that remained in place until 1975.

So for thirty years it was win the Big Ten & go to the Rose Bowl....or stay home for the Holidays.

To help give a better understanding of the Big Ten history with and the importance of the Rose Bowl...

After TSUN played in the 1902 Rose Bowl the Big Ten did not allow members to play in ANY bowl until the Big Ten & Pac 8 tendered an agreement for their champions to meet annually in the Rose Bowl in starting in 1946. The Big Ten also made the decision not to send the same team two years in a row.

So when TSUN won the Big Ten for a second consecutive year in 1948 conference runner-up Northwestern was instead the Big Ten's representative in Pasadena (beating Cal 10-6). The lone exception for this was in 1961 when the Ohio State faculty voted to decline the invitation (to the consternation of alums, the student body & just about everyone else) allowing Minnesota to head out west for the second time in two years.

The league's decision resulted in every team in the conference except for Northwestern playing in the Rose Bowl between 1958-1968. The Big Ten rule remained in place until 1971 when it was finally rescinded (starting after the 72 season)...Ohio State went on to play in the next four Rose Bowls.

During this era the Rose Bowl was the ONLY bowl that Big Ten teams were allowed to play in, a rule that remained in place until 1975.

So for thirty years it was win the Big Ten & go to the Rose Bowl....or stay home for the Holidays.

Don't you know tradition is dead.

Which made The Game so great.

Imagine coming to Columbus in 1972 10-0, losing on a missed FG 14-11, and NOT going to a bowl game. :D

Yep, it meant something to go to the Rose Bowl back in the day. It still does but not nearly as much as it used to.

On my commute home the local sports radio guy was talking about the bowls and I don't remember the numbers exactly but he said there were something like thirteen 6-6 teams and about as many 7-5 teams in bowls this year, hell UCLA is going to one at 6-7. The significance of bowls has been significantly eroded by the increase in bids..70 teams going bowling? Stupid.

I might be in the minority here but I don't mind the random small bowl games. Keeps college football on the television throughout the holidays.

I'm with ya. People who don't want to watch them don't have to. I don't really see how today's games detract from our bowl game. Heck, without these lower tier games, our bowl game would look like a pretty minor bowl, like it was in the old days as the Tangerine Bowl.

I might be in the minority here but I don't mind the random small bowl games. Keeps college football on the television throughout the holidays.

I'm with ya. People who don't want to watch them don't have to. I don't really see how today's games detract from our bowl game. Heck, without these lower tier games, our bowl game would look like a pretty minor bowl, like it was in the old days as the Tangerine Bowl.

My suggestions for bowl season:

a) Schedule bowl games accordingly by payout value from lowest-to-highest. I'd be more apt to watch the GoDaddy.com and BBV Compass bowls if they were slotted in mid-December along with other low-tiered bowls. Instead those two games come after the Cotton Bowl and just before the BCS title game this year.

b) All BCS bowl games should be played on Jan. 1st except if it falls on NFL Sunday like it does this year, then Jan. 2nd would suffice. There is something about playing on New Year's Day that makes it more enjoyable. Call it nostalgia on my part, but I'd prefer to watch the national title game on New Year's in prime time.

I completely agree with a) Nexus I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to have crappy football the further you go into the year. As long as the games are competitive and exciting I really don't care about the teams records. 'course there's always going to be snoozers, but Ohio's game and Louisiana Lafayette's were exciting and they typically would be those sub 7-5 teams.

My suggestions for bowl season:

a) Schedule bowl games accordingly by payout value from lowest-to-highest. I'd be more apt to watch the GoDaddy.com and BBV Compass bowls if they were slotted in mid-December along with other low-tiered bowls. Instead those two games come after the Cotton Bowl and just before the BCS title game this year.

b) All BCS bowl games should be played on Jan. 1st except if it falls on NFL Sunday like it does this year, then Jan. 2nd would suffice. There is something about playing on New Year's Day that makes it more enjoyable. Call it nostalgia on my part, but I'd prefer to watch the national title game on New Year's in prime time.

Interesting, what would the TV schedule look like though? That's a lot of big ticket football.