Is Delany too old-school? (or an idiot?)

treyball3

Delany made a good move in adding NU but I haven't been happy with his more recent performance.

Letting Mizzou slip away was a huge mistake as is his approach to the playoffs. I get the wait and see attitude on it but to say we wouldn't participate if it came about is absolutely retarded.

"The Rose Bowl or nothing talk" comes with membership in the Big Ten however. You'll get used to it and it'll be a big deal for Husker fans as well. You'll want it.

I really don't get the Missouri thing that a lot of people continue to bring up. This is no slight against Mizzou, but there was no reason to bring in another team just because. If other conferences want to get huge so be it, that does not mean we need to as well and we don't need to add schools unless they are going to bring a huge value with them a la Nebraska and Penn State. Strictly from an economical view point, the next time our tv deals get negotiated we are going to see a huge jump on account of Nebraska. That's why it did not matter that they only have 1.8 million in population or whatever it is. The conference knew that our national tv contracts would make up for any difference in BTN rights. If Mizzou were brought in the only jump monetarily would have been from BTN rights because of the state population, our ABC contract would not have seen significant value change because MIzzou is not a national draw as Nebraska is. I just don't see the value added argument for Mizzou and if the argument is bring Mizzou in just because we need more teams, I have not seem any evidence that we need more teams. I really am not trying to bad mouth Mizzou, trying to stay as objective as I can as a homer.

No where does it say that conferences need to get to 16 teams to survive. If playoffs happen the B1G is going to be invited no matter if we stay at 12 teams and the ACC, SEC, and Pac-12 go to 16. Those conferences all realize they need the B1G involved.

I am also highly confident that Mizzou was discussed amongst the presidents when we brought Nebraska in. I am also guessing they instructed Delaney they did not want Mizzou for whatever reason. Delaney works for the presidents, they make the calls (obviously Delaney provides counsel) and Delaney carries out their wishes, it isn't the other way around.

For me its about more than money. It's about competing for the top of CFB...I don't think its any coincidence that the rise of the SEC as the dominant conference coincided, at least in part, with their expansion...it helps with recruiting.

I just don't want to get left behind and have us continue to be seen as the dinosaur of football. I wanted to add ND and Mizzou but now the best I can hope for is KU and ND.

??? The SEC hadn't expanded in 20 years. They've been the dominant power for the last few years, before the current expansion was even dreamt of. I don't see any relationship between their power and expansion, much less trying to figure out whether it's a coincidence.

They've been dominant much longer than the last three.The SEC has won 7 of the past 13 going back to 1998 only 6 years after they started their CCG.

It took time for the weight of that expansion to hit recruits but I don't doubt for one moment that it didn't aid in their rise to power.

Meanwhile the ACC expanded into the mega hotbed of Florida, + Massachusetts, which just dwarfs South Carolina and Arkansas, and really isn't any stronger, despite adding better teams. I don't buy expansion as the cause. There's no way to prove it either way, so I guess we'll just disagree on this.

"The Rose Bowl or nothing talk" comes with membership in the Big Ten however. You'll get used to it and it'll be a big deal for Husker fans as well. You'll want it.

Nope :facepalm::dis

So you don't want the Rose Bowl....ok that's more than fine with me and most of the other teams in the Big Ten.

If you get the best coaches and the best recruiters, you are going to win.

... and lower academic standards, partial qualifiers, use the juco's as a farm system, agressive recruiting, oversigning

Touche.

the oversigning though, is limited to just a few teams I think. I know Bama and LSU do it.

And I'm guessing that UF(which is a top quality public institution) has similar academic standards when comparing to Northern teams so winning can be done down there. But yeah, UF is one the the exceptions and not the norm.

the oversigning though, is limited to just a few teams I think. I know Bama and LSU do it.

Florida, Georgia & Vandy are the only SEC teams that don't oversign.

Auburn, Mississippi St., South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss & Bama are the worst offenders.

ie

The top academic institutions in the conference.

Ok, I was giving the conference more credit than it deserved.

Do any Big XII,ACC or Pac-12 teams oversign?

Auburn, Mississippi St., South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss & Bama are the worst offenders.

ie

I'll bet they do but like you said USC, UA and LSU are pretty big into it and you tend to hear more.

http://oversigning.com/testing/ <<<<has some good stuff..

ie

Big 12 - Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St. (& WVU)

Pac12 - Oregon St

ACC - North Carolina is right at the 25 per year average

espn-numbers.jpg

Badga hits it right on the head, I know some on here disagree, but the B1G (as do I) sees oversigning as wildly unethical and simply doesn't allow it, if you do it you better have a damn good reason, think about the recruiting advantage this is, basically you're getting to bring in and evaluate an extra recruiting classes every 4 years, mistakes in recruiting (busts) are not as magnified if you can just push kids out and replace them with the next crop, THIS is what has coincided with the SEC's dominance more than anything else, people can stick their head in the sand all they want, the numbers are there, it got so bad that even the SEC tightened up their policy (28 LOIs per year) on it because Houston Nutt was signing up to 37 kids a year even though he didn't have the scholarship available, that's why it's called the "Houston Nutt" rule, he even joked that there was nothing stopping him from signing 85 kids per year if he wanted to...