Doc and the Almeida...............

Comish

From today's Lincoln Star..........

Sadler knows the 6-foot-11, 330-pound center, who averaged 15 minutes, 5.2 points and 4.3 rebounds as a junior college transfer last season, could provide quality bench minutes in a physical Big Ten Conference.

"I'd like for him to help us win one game," Sadler said. "Obviously there comes a point where you're not going to jeopardize a whole season, but we're not even close to that."

Sadler has previously said that Almeida would redshirt. But. …

"If we could have him ready, I'd say, by the middle of January … because the way the league looks right now, with it being considered the top league in the country, if you can get up to maybe eight or nine wins, you could make the NCAA Tournament. That's still our goal."

I'm trying to read between the lines with this Doc quote today.

Hell, I'm even trying to read ON the lines and I can't translate Doc-speak.

On one hand, he seems to be saying that if Almeida can help him win even ONE game in the B!G, it's worth it..........

But on the other hand, he feels it's NOT worth it to waste the whole season for just a couple of games. (I agree with THAT)

But he's willing to do either and wait until mid January to decide..............?

Somebody, please translate.............

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Doc figures with our schedule that it will take 9 conference wins to make the tournament.

Mid January means we'd be 6-7 games into conference play and by that time we'll have a good idea of how competitive we will be in the conference slate. (already having played Wisconsin and Michigan State at home and Ohio State on the Road)

What Doc is saying is that IF Andre is ready to go at by that time AND Doc thinks the team is in a position W/L wise that 9 conference wins are attainable he will think about playing him this year. If Andre isn't ready by then or Doc doesn't think the team is in position to get those 9 wins he will redshirt.

IMO I take it to mean that if we don't have 2 or 3 conference wins by the time we host Indiana it doesn't matter what Andre's health is but if we do than if he's healthy he may play this year out.

I think it comes down to this: Doc knows that he needs to be getting results sooner than later, or he may be sitting on the hot seat.

I am a huge fan of Doc, and I have supported him since day 1 and still do. I can just feel the fan pressure that Nebraska fans want to achieve the next level in our basketball program.

Personally, if he keeps having decent success as he has shown since he has been here, I would like to see him stick around long term. I think recruiting will be helped a lot by the new facilities that have been and are going to be built, and right now, that is what we need: talent

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Doc figures with our schedule that it will take 9 conference wins to make the tournament.

Mid January means we'd be 6-7 games into conference play and by that time we'll have a good idea of how competitive we will be in the conference slate. (already having played Wisconsin and Michigan State at home and Ohio State on the Road)

What Doc is saying is that IF Andre is ready to go at by that time AND Doc thinks the team is in a position W/L wise that 9 conference wins are attainable he will think about playing him this year. If Andre isn't ready by then or Doc doesn't think the team is in position to get those 9 wins he will redshirt.

IMO I take it to mean that if we don't have 2 or 3 conference wins by the time we host Indiana it doesn't matter what Andre's health is but if we do than if he's healthy he may play this year out.

That's an interesting take. If true, it would seem to be a marked departure from how Doc handled JBD when he arrived at semester a few years ago. IIRC, we had the smallest team in Div I, but that scurrying group of muppets played their guts out and we couldn't get over the hump because we had NO size. In that case, Doc took JBD along on road trips but ultimately did not play him, preferring to save the year for the future. Seems like the diametric opposite of what you are interpreting for the mighty Almeida.

Not saying you are incorrect, but it would appear to be a departure in philosophy for Doc. Although, it may have to do with Doc feeling more pressure to win NOW.

You think he's hard to understand in the article, how do you think that reporter felt trying to discern it through that accent? Everytime I hear Doc I feel like I'm watching NASCAR.

Yeah, I'm ok with the down home folksy style, but it's clear he didn't major in syntax............

I think at this point Doc would be tickled to have Andre contribute to a couple wins for two reasons. If he doesn't play this year he will want to redshirt and come back next year. Doc probably sees the handwriting on the wall and would just as soon free up the scholarship rather than have him return for another injury plagued season. Also I'm sure that if Doc could get one game in the NCAA's he would be assured of another year.

I think at this point Doc would be tickled to have Andre contribute to a couple wins for two reasons. If he doesn't play this year he will want to redshirt and come back next year. Doc probably sees the handwriting on the wall and would just as soon free up the scholarship rather than have him return for another injury plagued season. Also I'm sure that if Doc could get one game in the NCAA's he would be assured of another year.

Don't know why Doc wouldn't WANT him back. When healthy, he has some skills.

What I'm hearing now is that he is so far out of shape (because he basically can't run), that they are doing a carrot/stick thing by holding open the POSSIBILITY of playing this year so he doesn't balloon back up to 360.

I agree about the scholarship thing. Doc already has all 13 scholarships filled for next year and AA redshirting puts him over the limit.

I agree about the scholarship thing. Doc already has all 13 scholarships filled for next year and AA redshirting puts him over the limit.

Are you saying the 13 does NOT include AA for next year...........?? And does it include currently red-shirting Gallegos........??

Returning for next year: Diaz, Nieman, Ubel, Rivers, Moore, Gallegos, Talley,Hilliard, Almeida = 9

Signees = Coleman, Farho,Young, Shields,Parker = 5.

So that's 14 if Almeida redshirts and everyone returns and all 5 recruits qualify and make it to campus. If someone doesn't make it or leaves then it all works out fine, but if they don't then WHAT? Force Niemann to take a medical? Tell AA he has to pay his own way the last year if they are over the limit??