NU's Beck learning on the job

Nexus

To quote Chip Kelly:

If you give your players something to hang their hats on, they will perform. If they can run the offense with any scenario they may face you will be successful in running the ball.

LINK

Once the guys figure out how to "hang their hats" on Beck's system, consistency becomes tantamount.

To quote Chip Kelly:

If you give your players something to hang their hats on, they will perform. If they can run the offense with any scenario they may face you will be successful in running the ball.

LINK

Once the guys figure out how to "hang their hats" on Beck's system, consistency becomes tantamount.

Beck's system.....the mystery continues.

• Fire 1

To quote Chip Kelly:

LINK

If we could define "his system", it would be easier to get better at it.

Beck needs to learn Nebraska has to run the full Osborne offense.

I also think the option football is the best offense for them to run to be successful. Take the top "athlete QB in high school that thinks he is a QB but is going to be switched to WR or DB at any other school is a easy sell as Nebraska will really keep you at QB. Then get a bunch of OL's that like to run block and no worries about height and that leaves you with a lot of talented blockers to choose from. Get a top RB who wants to run the rock 30 times a game. Get 4-5 athletes like myself to fill in the TE Full back limited MLB position is possible from a state of 1.5 million. Then fill in everything else around with kids that are in rougher areas of the US and tell the parents that Lincoln is pretty hard to find trouble unless it is self impossed. No real gang presense.

The option really is hard to defend against. It goes against everything your taught as a defender. I would not say Teebow is doing great because he only scores like 13 points a game but I can see that it is Denvers only option as an offense. I would not want to see it at Miami but I have a lot of respect for it. Have a dominate OL and you can run a lot of things. People who say this or that can never work today also said that Meyers offense would never work in the SEC. Those people have to eat a lot of crow. Miami's Pro Set sucks if you have a QB throwing to the other team. People were saying the option was dead in the 70's as Osborne went the throwing route for about 5 years and then came back to the option when he could not beat OU.

Got this guy over on a miami U sight that played for NU in 92 and 93.

Next phase of the transition is complete

• Fire 1

To quote Chip Kelly:

LINK

Hence the reason why I wrapped "hang their hats" in quotations because as a fan/observer, I'm still not sure what to call it either? I don't mean that as disrespect. The article I posted in the 1st post is self-explanatory since it admits Beck is "learning on the job" so I'm under the impression the "system" is still a work in progress? All I know is it's a spread offense with some power and option principles mixed in there. The point I was trying to make with the Chip Kelly reference is that whatever "system" Beck is installing over there, consistency is key in making it work. I don't care what you call it, just execute it consistently to put points on the boad.

To quote Chip Kelly:

LINK

Hence the reason why I wrapped "hang their hats" in quotations because as a fan/observer, I'm still not sure what to call it either? I don't mean that as disrespect. The article I posted in the 1st post is self-explanatory since it admits Beck is "learning on the job" so I'm under the impression the "system" is still a work in progress? All I know is it's a spread offense with some power and option principles mixed in there. The point I was trying to make with the Chip Kelly reference is that whatever "system" Beck is installing over there, consistency is key in making it work. I don't care what you call it, just execute it consistently to put points on the boad.

Agree 100%. I think that an undefined system hurts recruiting ie will a WR catch passes or block. Do we recruit run blocker or pass pro O line? I also think it hurts success as Beck tries to figure it out, he has to teach the coaches who have to teach the kids who then have to pick up "different" things every week.

If you look at teams currently at the top, they all have clear, definitive systems ie LSU, Bama, Okie Lite etc.....

Top programs have coaches who do not need to learn on the job. NU should not, ever, hire a first time coach at any level. That is what low-level programs w/o a history do... because they must. A program of the stature of NU (a stature that is, clearly, eroding... but still formidable) should, never, ever, ever hire a newbie --- let them cut their teeth elsewhere, prove themselves... and then hire them.

The reason that NU is where it is --- a perennial #4-5 conference team that finishes the season ranked between #20-30 --- rather than being more... much more.. competitive --- is poor hiring of coaches. Go with proven experience... every time --- unless, of course, you cannot command (that is, compete) for such. I do not think NU has fallen so low that they cannot compete for someone experienced and who is a proven commodity --- but perhaps the horizon is that bleak.

but perhaps the horizon is that bleak.

That should be your sig.

nice!

I know, I am down pretty much regarding this program I have loved for decades. I try to be more positive with my posts but struggle.... for me at this point, it is hard to see much that is positive. So, yeah... maybe that should be my sig...

Hopefully there will be some positive things to post about coming up soon.

It's not that hard to find positives to post about. You just have to want to do it. We have guys like Lavonte David and Rex Burkhead on the team. Walk-ons earning starting roles, up-and-coming coaches, more wins than losses, a great stadium, fun and interesting fellow fans, all kinds of stuff.

I will never understand the people who never praise the team they love. I wonder if they treat their girlfriend or wife the same way they treat the team.

It's not that hard to find positives to post about. You just have to want to do it. We have guys like Lavonte David and Rex Burkhead on the team. Walk-ons earning starting roles, up-and-coming coaches, more wins than losses, a great stadium, fun and interesting fellow fans, all kinds of stuff.

I will never understand the people who never praise the team they love. I wonder if they treat their girlfriend or wife the same way they treat the team.

My point is that it is hard to find program-level positives... about the team as a whole. \finding individuals to post positively about is pretty easy and this I do with regularity. It is overall team assessment and the look to the immediate future that is tough to do.

C N Red ... you hit my point exactly ... re: a new coach cutting their teeth at a program like Nebraska (as B. Pelini, C. Pelini, and the focal point of this post, T. Beck have) is rather scary... and odd. One would not think that a program of NU's stature (or, at least history) would be a testing grounds for coaches who have never before been there. But... that has been the case. With the new hires coming up, let us hope that that trend does not continue.

My point is that it is hard to find program-level positives... about the team as a whole. \finding individuals to post positively about is pretty easy and this I do with regularity. It is overall team assessment and the look to the immediate future that is tough to do.

I must have missed that post.

Positives about the whole program are bowl game in each of Bo's years here, winning bowl record under Bo, at least nine wins every year under Bo, academic all-americans under Bo continue to keep pace with other coaches, last year's recruiting class with Ameer Abdlullah and Jamal Turner, the stadium and fans are program level things.

See? It's not hard to find positives. It's just really easy to bitch about the few negatives and let them take over your impression of the team.

Edited by Rocketsocks
One would not think that a program of NU's stature (or, at least history) would be a testing grounds for coaches who have never before been there.

You mean we should be hiring 'proven offensive coordinators' like they do at other elite colleges? Like Charlie Weiss at Florida?

Edit for macroboy: We should have hired Turner Gill and Scott Frost as CO-offensive coordinators and have them run the Tom Osbourn option. You can commence to the "I'm a real fan and you aren't" portion of the thread.