The Hobbit

It was good but to be honest, for me the first Fellowship of the rings was better. Only to the fact that the whole thing was new to me. I had never read or even heard about the books so like someone watching star wars for the first time int he 70s i was cast into a new world in which i knew nothing about. I was kind of neat to see them tie some of the things from Lord of the Rings into this movie. Though it made me think if i knew about these things before hand i wouldnt of enjoyed the Lord of the Rings series as much as i did. Over all it was good and the picture was beautifull as they always are. Story did seem to drag a bit but i think thats just how the first book was i guess. I assume the next 2 will be more action packed. I wouldnt let my kids see it though, not for a while.

This movie was either absolutely brilliant or decidedly average, depending entirely on your fondness for all things Tolkien.

I personally loved it. I loved that it was incredibly faithful to the books, down to minute and arguably unnecessary details and moments. Why? Because I loved the book. I love Middle-Earth. I love Gandalf, Bilbo and the lot. If I didn't have that knowledge and keen desire to experience those characters a bit, I would have been pretty annoyed with the amount of fluff in the film. I also really appreciated Jackson fleshing the story out with non-Hobbit material; I believe it was much needed. The Hobbit is a children's book, and is, at a surface level, not a terribly epic or exciting story. However, the movie's inclusion of themes with Sauron/Necromancer, Gandalf's true intentions and schemes and the orcs add a lot of grandeur and feeling of weightiness to the story.

It's been a long time, and I never thought I'd miss Middle-Earth as much as I did right before the movie started. I need to read through the Silmarillion, I'm unfamiliar with a lot of this backstory.

The only other thing I'll say is that Martin Freeman's Bilbo was a bit peculiar at first. He seemed a much more grouchy, irritable character than I expected from reading the books. In the novel he seemed a bit more uh...obliviously pleasant and naively good-natured? But as soon as he left Bag End, he seemed to fit in great.

Edit: The Dude, that's exactly the thing. What more could have been done? Nothing. People wanted less done.

• Fire 1

Over all it was good and the picture was beautifull as they always are. Story did seem to drag a bit but i think thats just how the first book was i guess. I assume the next 2 will be more action packed. I wouldnt let my kids see it though, not for a while.

Well, there was only one 'Hobbit' book. So I don't know, I guess it's interesting that for once, the movie isn't going to be super-condensed with a lot of book material cut out. Less of a cinematic experience and more of an artistic homage to Tolkien's world -- and if anything deserves that treatment it would be Tolkien.

I can't wait for the Silly Marillion two-part quintology.

This movie was either absolutely brilliant or decidedly average, depending entirely on your fondness for all things Tolkien.

Can't it be absolutely brilliant just based on the exceptional film-making!?

It can be, but it's not...

That's just absurd. At worst, it's on par with Fellowship. Which is pretty brilliant in its own right.

That's just absurd. At worst, it's on par with Fellowship. Which is pretty brilliant in its own right.

I haven't seen it, but I would suspect millions of others would agree with you.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring