The Hobbit

He also plays Dr. Watson on the BBC show "Sherlock."

So the films are going to be called "An Unexpected Journey," "There and Back Again" and untitled third film. Any guesses on the 3rd title?

I heard it would be called "Riddles in the Dark". But I don't see that making much sense because that's the title of the chapter where Bilbo meets Gollum. I'm sure that will happen in the first movie.

Yeah, unfortunately it is pricey to get here, but worth it. The first time I came the exchange rate was about 2:1, so very favorable. Now the NZD is at .80 on the USD, so it's not nearly the deal it used to be, as what has happened with the dollar pretty much all over the globe.

I'm going to the South Island in October after the kiddo is born to show him off to great-gran, and might try to pick up some 'Hobbit' stuff. I'll post if I find something interesting. Doubt I'll see Peter Jackson though :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the actor who's playing Beorn. Just from pictures and clips from YouTube, he doesn't seem very Beorn-like. At least how I pictured him. From what I've gathered, it seems Beorn will be in the first movie, so it makes me wonder how the three movies are going to be split up.

I'll probably be lost through a lot of the second and third movies if there's really going to be a lot of material from The Similarion. It's been about a decade since I tried reading that book, and I couldn't get through it all. I kind of glossed over a lot of the family histories in the LOTR books - I can't remember all that crap - and that seemed to be what The Similarion was all about. Maybe I'll give it another go if I can find it.

I'd be willing to bet there was/will be at least a couple hours of cut footage from the first movie alone. Cutting it into three movies might end up making more sense than eventually having two extended editions. I initially had reservations about the trilogy approach but f#*k it, there's nothing wrong with a little ambition. Peter Jackson, you have my blessing.

• 2 weeks later...