Well they both have had sideline famous plays.

One can win 9 games per year

Both have been blown out in games Callahan wins that with the Tech game

Both stay with loser coaches Cotton and I try not to remember other name

Both have not had stellar lines after four years.

Callahan had the better QB's.

I think recruiting is even star wise but BO is better at filling needs.

not sure why cotton is a loser coach. our OL continues to improve each year after being left shorthanded by callahan neglecting it in recruiting. we had a good offensive line this year, particularly after marcel got healthy.

as to the rest of the comparison, the thing that matters is wins. bo took over a program in disarray and has won 9 or more every season. cally took over a 10 win team and won 55% of his games. i get comparing the recruiting, but otherwise it's pointless to compare the two because there's no comparison in results.

not sure why cotton is a loser coach. our OL continues to improve each year after being left shorthanded by callahan neglecting it in recruiting. we had a good offensive line this year, particularly after marcel got healthy.

as to the rest of the comparison, the thing that matters is wins. bo took over a program in disarray and has won 9 or more every season. cally took over a 10 win team and won 55% of his games. i get comparing the recruiting, but otherwise it's pointless to compare the two because there's no comparison in results.

Don't you know that is because of Garrison and Stai? It's clearly not because of Cotton.

Don't you know that is because of Garrison and Stai? It's clearly not because of Cotton.

i honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm.

It is. Everytime the line does bad, it's because Cotton sucks and needs to be fired. But if they play well, it's because of Garrison and Stai. It's like clockwork on here.

• Fire 1

The 2008 class is evidence that I was using to support my claim in a post before the season about the OL being in "year four of a five year project."

Yeah that class ended up being a bit short on long term O-line players. Combined with some thin depth after the 2008 team, and you have what we saw in 2009 and 2010. They are just coming out of that down cycle IMO with a decent year this year.

• 2 weeks later...

i honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm.

It is. Everytime the line does bad, it's because Cotton sucks and needs to be fired. But if they play well, it's because of Garrison and Stai. It's like clockwork on here.

Yes, it's one of the few things you can bet the ranch on. Ohio St, MSU,etc.....Garrison & Stai are terrific!! Michigan, Northwestern, ect....Barney s*cks!!

The 2008 class is evidence that I was using to support my claim in a post before the season about the OL being in "year four of a five year project."

Yeah that class ended up being a bit short on long term O-line players. Combined with some thin depth after the 2008 team, and you have what we saw in 2009 and 2010. They are just coming out of that down cycle IMO with a decent year this year.

Agree and am soooooo grateful we're getting close.......

Just my 2 cents, but outside of Suh and Dillard to a lesser extent, Callahan failed at recruiting DTs and LBs. Had way more busts and non qualifiers that would allow success.

I have been thinking about doing a position by position breakdown of how recruiting panned out and progressed from Callahan to Bo. I think both coaches had some issues at certain positions in a class or two and we have seen that manifest itself on the field. It is a lot of work though and will take awhile as I don't have a lot of free time.

Just my 2 cents, but outside of Suh and Dillard to a lesser extent, Callahan failed at recruiting DTs and LBs. Had way more busts and non qualifiers that would allow success.

I have been thinking about doing a position by position breakdown of how recruiting panned out and progressed from Callahan to Bo. I think both coaches had some issues at certain positions in a class or two and we have seen that manifest itself on the field. It is a lot of work though and will take awhile as I don't have a lot of free time.

I'll be looking forward to it. If you look at Cally's classes you'll see what I mean. It really hit me when there were illustrations after the 07 USC game.

This is good stuff, I would have never guessed that the numbers were so close. However star ratings are just that ratings. It is how they are developed in the next five years, and that seems to be the major issue to me. I always thought Bo was waybetter at player develpment, but the last two seasons i'm not sure that is the case.

This is good stuff, I would have never guessed that the numbers were so close. However star ratings are just that ratings. It is how they are developed in the next five years, and that seems to be the major issue to me. I always thought Bo was waybetter at player develpment, but the last two seasons i'm not sure that is the case.

how many programs win 9 games a year or are rated every year? how many coaches have better winning percentages than bo since he's been here? what was callahan's record again?

based on results, i don't think there's any comparison between the player development by the two staffs, particularly if you buy into the rating system that says they brought in roughly the same quality of players.

i will say that i have been slightly disappointed with the results this season, but considering where we were when he took over and the consistency with which he has won, any comparison to our worst coach in half a century is ridiculous.

I think the project I was alluding to in my previous post might help explain some of this. Whenever you see an extraordinary amount of youth or lack of depth, recruiting is the largest cause of that I believe. It can be a combination of have a higher than usual attrition rate at a position, or it could be that they didn't recruit enough players for whatever reason. People get so caught up in recruiting that they expect players to contribute within 2 years, when the reality is that most players don't make contributions until they are Jr.'s or Sr.'s. If you build up the depth correctly you have a quality player leave and is replaced with a developed upperclassman. Obviously extraordinary players get to contribute earlier, but you shouldn't have a lot of underclassmen being who you rely on IMO.