How do we fix this Nebraska team?

I may have to start a topic on this and make its own thread. THE BIGGEST THING NEEDED TO BE FIXED IS LACK OF SPEED AND PRESSURE OFF THE EDGE BECAUSE WE CANNOT GET TO THE QB. With that amount of time I could complete passes against our defense. The Hail Mary play is exactly why this is vital...don't give the QB all day to throw it. I am over with the slow-prodding, huff-puffing, never going to get there D-Line we have...T Moore was the only one I saw today actually play with energy. Our DL is bad and it then exposes the weak links in our secondary...this has been going on ALL YEAR. Pelini needs to look at South Carolina's DL and get a clue.

Uh, we sacked the QB 4 times today and Connor Shaw ran for about 52 yards. He's a mobile QB and we bottled him up better than we had any mobile QB this year or in recent history.

Uh, check a little play by SCAR right before the half. Completely embarrassing to get beat like that in any game, let alone a major bowl game.

That was a play made by a WR, had nothing to do with pressuring the QB.

:facepalm:

I may have to start a topic on this and make its own thread. THE BIGGEST THING NEEDED TO BE FIXED IS LACK OF SPEED AND PRESSURE OFF THE EDGE BECAUSE WE CANNOT GET TO THE QB. With that amount of time I could complete passes against our defense. The Hail Mary play is exactly why this is vital...don't give the QB all day to throw it. I am over with the slow-prodding, huff-puffing, never going to get there D-Line we have...T Moore was the only one I saw today actually play with energy. Our DL is bad and it then exposes the weak links in our secondary...this has been going on ALL YEAR. Pelini needs to look at South Carolina's DL and get a clue.

Uh, we sacked the QB 4 times today and Connor Shaw ran for about 52 yards. He's a mobile QB and we bottled him up better than we had any mobile QB this year or in recent history.

Uh, check a little play by SCAR right before the half. Completely embarrassing to get beat like that in any game, let alone a major bowl game.

That was a play made by a WR, had nothing to do with pressuring the QB.

That dude had time to sit back there all day on every fricking play of the game. Pressure on the QB eliminates that play. Even slurpy himself said so at halftime. And slurpy is almost always right.

Still...what do you do on hail mary plays...you knock the football down. Knocking the ball down eliminates that play as well. You may see things differently than I do but on most plays, knocking the football down ends the play as well. The defensive line sacked the QB more times than any other QB this year, I think. I'm willing to give them a pass on that because most times the secondary is responsible for knocking the ball down on hail mary plays.

I suppose Wisconsin's D line was the reason why Michigan State won that game too.

They tried to knock the ball down. They couldn't jump high enough. We probably should have put Stonehands Kinney in there. he's good at knocking the ball to the ground. Same reason Wisky should have had Nick Toon in against MSU at the end of the game instead of a short receiver.

Disagree very much with the "heart is there" analysis. Teams with heart don't give up. We had heart against OSU this year. Against Wiscy, Michigan and now SC, not so much. It comes and goes, and that inconsistency is not OK.

Disagree with me all you want, but its a complete difference in opinion. Nothing you say is going to change my mind, nothing I say is going to change your mind. Let bygones be bygones I guess.

:snacks:

I know, I don't think I've ever had a disagreement with knapp. New Year I guess.

We can't agree on everything. That would be creepy after a while. ;)

Man Georgia players must have no heart...how could they let Michigan State block that kick and score on the final drive to force overtime.

I hear what you're saying. I know they WANT to win and I know they TRY to win. But, I believe it goes beyond only fundementals and discipline when they repeatedly make the same mistakes. I or others might refer to it as heart where you refer to it as discipline. Either way, there is definitely some necessary element of desire missing. A person who plays with heart will usually find a way to execute. We gave up 3 sacks in a row at the end of the game. That is because our players gave up. That is not fundementals or discipline. That is a lack of heart to finish the game. They didn't want to give up the sacks but they sure didn't have the desire to prevent them either. They're all related and it's just a matter of semantics.

I personally have had times where no matter how hard you try you just keep screwing up. If you keep saying don't trip, don't trip, don't trip, you are goin to trip. I think confidence is the key to breaking most of our penalty and dropsie issues. (aka. trying too hard) I understand we are not there as coaches or players but I don't feel that we are too far off. I think next year will be much off the same some improvement is some areas and some drop off in others. Even took Dr. Tom 20+ years to have everything line up right. In fact I just read an interview were he said that stars have to align right (recruits working out,schedule,team chemistry,ect.) to win the big game. Bo has it right with staying the course. We need to remember that most teams would be very happy with 9 wins. I look for people to push Bo out like solich then we will be right back in the Calla days.

They tried to knock the ball down. They couldn't jump high enough. We probably should have put Stonehands Kinney in there. he's good at knocking the ball to the ground. Same reason Wisky should have had Nick Toon in against MSU at the end of the game instead of a short receiver.

Okay the d line tried to get to Shaw then.

Heh??

A lot of us have known that our D-Line is slow and can't get pressure. Today's Hail Mary culminated all our fears and validated what all of us already knew. You play that style and you will get burned. This came at one of the worst times possible and may have cost us a Capital One Bowl victory. Our team never recovered.

The DL scheme must change next year or expect more of the same. If its a personnel issue then go out and get speed guys off the edge. Cam should move to DT IMO, too slow for DE.

• Fire 1

Man Georgia players must have no heart...how could they let Michigan State block that kick and score on the final drive to force overtime.

I hear what you're saying. I know they WANT to win and I know they TRY to win. But, I believe it goes beyond only fundementals and discipline when they repeatedly make the same mistakes. I or others might refer to it as heart where you refer to it as discipline. Either way, there is definitely some necessary element of desire missing. A person who plays with heart will usually find a way to execute. We gave up 3 sacks in a row at the end of the game. That is because our players gave up. That is not fundementals or discipline. That is a lack of heart to finish the game. They didn't want to give up the sacks but they sure didn't have the desire to prevent them either. They're all related and it's just a matter of semantics.

Good to see someone understands what I'm trying to convey. Certainly the 3 sacks at the end were due to a lack of heart but the game was in hand for USC by then. If they did that when it was a 10 point game then it would be infuriating but we were down 17 by then.

Heh??

Well you say the secondary tried to knock down the ball to prevent the play and use that as an "excuse". I'm using the same reasoning for the defensive line. They tried to get to Shaw.

Still...what do you do on hail mary plays...you knock the football down. Knocking the ball down eliminates that play as well. You may see things differently than I do but on most plays, knocking the football down ends the play as well. The defensive line sacked the QB more times than any other QB this year, I think. I'm willing to give them a pass on that because most times the secondary is responsible for knocking the ball down on hail mary plays.

I suppose Wisconsin's D line was the reason why Michigan State won that game too.

While we did whiff on a sack on the play, it's totally on the secondary. As you stated just knock the ball down and the play is over. We are just a very dumb undisciplined team.

Heh??

Well you say the secondary tried to knock down the ball to prevent the play and use that as an "excuse". I'm using the same reasoning for the defensive line. They tried to get to Shaw.

Ah, I see. Well, I'll take the play of the secondary today over the D-line play. Afterall, they did have to hang with their coverage for well over 5 seconds and did pretty well most of the day.