How do we fix this Nebraska team?

The problem this team has is, it seems as if several times per year they simply do not care about the outcome of the game. It's as if they play the game like it's a mental exercise, not a competition.

Bo talks about execution, but he either is not teaching execution or he doesn't understand how to teach it properly. All phases of the game exhibit poor execution, from penalties to dropped passes to missed blocks.... the list goes on.

These guys say they care. They just don't produce a product on the field that says, "I care," from Bo down to the 4th-string long-snapper.

I hope Bo can humble himself this offseason to go to TO and ask him for a master's class in producing disciplined and consistent play. It's what he needs to get his teams over the hump, and he's got a guy who can show him how to do it right upstairs.

Kick Badgerfan off this board, he's been nothing but problems for our program and I for one would be glad to see him go.

:sarcasm

As for the future, what can be done? We've made our moves and it would be absolutely stupid to go in a different direction after just making a move. Confidence is key for the fan base to have in its coaching staff. And there is reason for us as fans to be skeptical about the direction that this team is headed. There is no doubt about that.

But Rome wasn't built in a day and in the process of its establishment it came across rough times, but in the end it persevered. Bo has laid a foundation over these past 4 years. It is reasonable for us to expect at least 9 wins in a season--an expectation which was impossible to have for the past 10-12 years. Is he a great head coach? No, he probably isn't in the top 15. But he is a consistent coach who has laid a foundation and who we can expect to improve off over these next coming years.

We have played undisciplined and I don't know where that stems from. We had 1 penalty in the first half for 0 yards and then everything changed. False starts and holding...but how much of that could be subjective from the referees? I'm sure not a large part, but there has to be something attributed to the referees. For example, that PI call was complete crap...you can call holding, but the SC WR gave up on the ball I don't see how you could've called a PI there.

But the thing to look for the future to is to see if we can make that jump from 9 wins a year to 10 wins a year. Some of you doubt that we will, and that's fine, Bo and Co have given you no reason to believe that we will. I have a different opinion and I think that we have the talent and the ability to make that jump to 10-11 wins next year.

Panic and point fingers. Do your best to out-gripe the guy posting before you.

Obviously things get a little hectic after a loss and some people take it to extremes, but the OP had a valid question. When you lose games the way that we have all season long, it's a justified question.

That wasn't directed at the OP, and it had nothing to do with how valid or invalid his question was. Not sure where you came up with that.

Just look around at the board. It's not difficult to see what I'm talking about.

No worries knappic & The Maudfather. I actually thought knappic's comment was quite funny.

As it was intended to be. I'm not that busted up over this loss, and sadly, I'm not surprised by it.

I'm not that surprised by the loss either. I wasn't worried about our secondary today, but I did have big concerns about our line play on both sides of the ball, and in the second half both of these sides fell apart. Oh well we were 9-4, in another January 1st bowl game. Can't complain too much about that. Time to move on to 2012.

Martinez sucks!! Yes our line didnt play well at the end but they did okay most of day. But TM has no pocket awareness or toughness. His footwork and throwing is some of the worst ive seen and its not gonna get better. He wasnt the only reason we lost today but his lack of leadership does not help and is a big reason our team falls apart so easily. Complete embarassment today!! So, number 1 is finding an actual Qb that can throw first, run second and has good leadership. I dont care if hes a walkon or freshmen as long as he can throw the ball and has some cajones!!

I don't see how we can judge our players' apparent "lack of motivation or emotion in the game" Unless you are there and physically hear them say, "Man, I really don't care about that game," you have no grounds to judge motivation or emotion.

Discipline and fundamentals are a completely different thing and I think that is where this team is lacking. But don't go off saying that the players have no emotion or desire or motivation to win a football game. You are crazy to think that every player on every team doesn't want to finish their respective years undefeated.

Martinez sucks!! Yes our line didnt play well at the end but they did okay most of day. But TM has no pocket awareness or toughness. His footwork and throwing is some of the worst ive seen and its not gonna get better. He wasnt the only reason we lost today but his lack of leadership does not help and is a big reason our team falls apart so easily. Complete embarassment today!! So, number 1 is finding an actual Qb that can throw first, run second and has good leadership. I dont care if hes a walkon or freshmen as long as he can throw the ball and has some cajones!!

Of all the things that went wrong today, you're focused on Taylor Martinez? Seriously. Just let it go.

I may have to start a topic on this and make its own thread. THE BIGGEST THING NEEDED TO BE FIXED IS LACK OF SPEED AND PRESSURE OFF THE EDGE BECAUSE WE CANNOT GET TO THE QB. With that amount of time I could complete passes against our defense. The Hail Mary play is exactly why this is vital...don't give the QB all day to throw it. I am over with the slow-prodding, huff-puffing, never going to get there D-Line we have...T Moore was the only one I saw today actually play with energy. Our DL is bad and it then exposes the weak links in our secondary...this has been going on ALL YEAR. Pelini needs to look at South Carolina's DL and get a clue.

• Fire 1

I actually that Taylor threw the ball fairly well today. His throwing motion is getting better. Even more importantly I noticed that his foot work has improved even since the Iowa game in November. You give him a whole off-season and then spring ball to work on these mechanics, and it does give me some hope for our passing game in 2012.

Taylor definitely improved as a team leader and game manager this year. So what does he need to work on besides his passing? I would say his lateral speed, so that he is more effective on those speed option & load option plays to the sideline.

Panic and point fingers. Do your best to out-gripe the guy posting before you.

Obviously things get a little hectic after a loss and some people take it to extremes, but the OP had a valid question. When you lose games the way that we have all season long, it's a justified question.

That wasn't directed at the OP, and it had nothing to do with how valid or invalid his question was. Not sure where you came up with that.

Just look around at the board. It's not difficult to see what I'm talking about.

My bad. Fresh wound and I overreacted a little. :rickjames

I don't see how we can judge our players' apparent "lack of motivation or emotion in the game" Unless you are there and physically hear them say, "Man, I really don't care about that game," you have no grounds to judge motivation or emotion.

What would you call it? It's a semantic argument more than anything. It appears the team lacks something, whether you call it motivation, chemistry, "swagger," whatever. Choose a different word and go with that, if it's a more apt description for you.

I may have to start a topic on this and make its own thread. THE BIGGEST THING NEEDED TO BE FIXED IS LACK OF SPEED AND PRESSURE OFF THE EDGE BECAUSE WE CANNOT GET TO THE QB. With that amount of time I could complete passes against our defense. The Hail Mary play is exactly why this is vital...don't give the QB all day to throw it. I am over with the slow-prodding, huff-puffing, never going to get there D-Line we have...T Moore was the only one I saw today actually play with energy. Our DL is bad and it then exposes the weak links in our secondary...this has been going on ALL YEAR. Pelini needs to look at South Carolina's DL and get a clue.

I completely agree with you! Right now our defensive scheme is for our d-line to contain the blockers to free up our linebackers. It is part of Bo's conservative Tampa 2 Cover approach. I am like you in that I really wish we would be more of an aggressive/attacking 4-3 defense where our DE's just pin their ears back and harass the QB all day.