Bright spot today?

I thought there were a number of bright spots today.

1. I thought we executed the option better than we have most of this year, against a very good defense.

2. I loved our gameplan.

3. Our offensive skill position players match up just fine against top notch SEC defenders from an athletic standpoint.

4. Our defensive line was dramatically improved at containing mobile quarterbacks.

5. Andrew Green, Ciante Evans, Baker Steinkuhler, and Chase Rome calmed my worries about life without Jared Crick and Alfonzo Dennard.

I thought we were overmatched going into this game, and we were from a talent standpoint. However, to my surprise, we moved the ball very effectively throughout the first half, and really only gave up one TD to South Carolina on defense. Our offensive line was able to get a push, our defensive line was holding their own against the run AND containing a mobile QB. Basically, we showed that when we executed, when we just did our thing, we were very competitive or better against a good SEC team.

Penalties, turnovers, special teams blunders, and some stupid luck (any successful hail mary is lucky, I don't care who the receiver is), and more dropped passes is why we lost this game. I don't know how to fix those issues (and apparently neither does Bo at this point... we've been fighting with that stuff for years now), but in general I feel OK about what I saw today. You'd always like to have the win, but today wasn't our day.

I like yor takes onthe game. i agree. I counted 4 dropped passes on tha day. most of them were going to be at least 20+ yard gains. Martinez was 10-16 ( I think) throwing.

My bright spot and Hercules slightly hit on it is Andrew Green. IF he busts his butt this offseason he has the POTENTIAL to be a lock down guy. Wasn't tested today but when they showed the overhead view of Shaw's options in the first half, Green has his guy blanketed and a lot of that time was against Ace Sanders, a very fast kid.

Andrew has done a complete 180 from the start of the season and is a perfect example of how the coaches say "it clicks" when understanding the defense. He will be one corner heading into August and Seisay will probably be #2. Hands down.

And sorry Herc, Ciante Evans once again continued to show nothing. His PI call was iffy, but the rest of his play was far worse than iffy.

My bright spot and Hercules slightly hit on it is Andrew Green. IF he busts his butt this offseason he has the POTENTIAL to be a lock down guy. Wasn't tested today but when they showed the overhead view of Shaw's options in the first half, Green has his guy blanketed and a lot of that time was against Ace Sanders, a very fast kid.

Andrew has done a complete 180 from the start of the season and is a perfect example of how the coaches say "it clicks" when understanding the defense. He will be one corner heading into August and Seisay will probably be #2. Hands down.

And sorry Herc, Ciante Evans once again continued to show nothing. His PI call was iffy, but the rest of his play was far worse than iffy.

In previous games I've noticed Ciante for bad reasons. Today I noticed him when he got beat on a crossing route, but that was on a play where we sent the house, and didn't get to the QB. You're hanging even your best CB out to dry when you blitz everyone and don't get to the QB. The other play I noticed him on a good physical tackle he had. Anyways, I thought Ciante showed improvement from where he was earlier this year.

Now that the season is over, Nebraska "fans" can stop bashing players who put their heart and soul into this team by giving it their all everyday. I am sure this happens with every fan base, but it is not like players such as Cassidy and Thorell are purposely playing bad.

i dont blame the players for not being able to make plays... i blame the coaches for letting guys that cant make plays onto the field when we have more athletic and more capable people to do so

The first half. We played lights out. Outplayed the Gamecocks, despite the score.

The running game came together against a very stout line.

Martinez is light years ahead of where he was last season.

Rex is great at every aspect of the RB position. And he comes back next year.

Steinkuhler had a pretty good game. He's better than people realize.