explanation needed

HANC

Ok, I will go on record saying that the refs did NOT cost Nebraska the game. The offside penalties were obvious... the pass interference call was HORRIBLE to say the least, but that happens.

Question: On SC touchdown pass in 2nd half, it looked as if David was going to take the RB out of the backfield. On replay, he was getting BLOCKED as the ball was in the air !!!

1. If the SC was a TE, then this is offensive pass int. or a "pick"

2. If the SC was an OL, then it was definitely an illegal man downfield.

How can neither one of these get called... it was right out in the open ?

Is my interpretation wrong? Maybe I saw it wrong, that is why I am asking? If I am right, they just missed it.

Question: Should it have been called?

- Regardless, we lost and it doesn't change anything.

Noticed this on the replay as well. I'd like to say "any crew who could miss the facemask against Cotton could miss anything" but instead I'll go with David was really close to the LOS at the snap and it was a straight block where he just pused David downfield. I'm not exactly sure how the NCAA rules read but that's very possible.

The one we all saw was the pass interference penalty on our DB when the ball was 8 yards beyond the receiver and the only contact was a slight hand touch to the chest.....something that was allowed all day. However it happened after Dennard and their receiver were both tossed and I wonder if it was a makeup call or a "we're going to make a statement" call by the refs. If I remember that was a third down and SC would have either punted or attempted a FG....instead they have a first down inside the 20.

I wondered the exact same thing. Blocking the guy who is supposed to cover a receiver makes the game MUCH easier. I won't blame the whole game on the refs, but they sure didn't help in some key situations. Now, all of those false starts and holding penalties...shot ourselves in the foot the entire second half.