How will Nebraska fare next year.

No sarcasm needed.

But with the way the B1G is shaping up and with who we have returning. Lets look at the positive.

Martinez is in year 3 with the system and from year one he has improved dramatically.

Burkhead will be back

Maher will be as well.

Feel free to add your own.

How has Martinez improved dramtically since year one? His passing numbers are worse than last year and he is not the explosive running threat that he was last year. I don't know how anyone can think this team will get to the next level with him under center.. Won't happen.

Amen! We need a quarterback period

+1

This entire thread is a massive misunderstanding. The OP clearly means for us to discuss the Nebraska State fair held in Grand Island in September. Had he wanted us to talk about NU football the title would've read "How will Nebraska fare next year", anyhow, I can't say I've ever been to your fair state's fair though I'm sure it'll be quite nice. Carry on.

No sarcasm needed.

But with the way the B1G is shaping up and with who we have returning. Lets look at the positive.

Martinez is in year 3 with the system and from year one he has improved dramatically.

Burkhead will be back

Maher will be as well.

Feel free to add your own.

How has Martinez improved dramtically since year one? His passing numbers are worse than last year and he is not the explosive running threat that he was last year. I don't know how anyone can think this team will get to the next level with him under center.. Won't happen.

Amen! We need a quarterback period

+1

I'm on the same boat with you guys. Taylor is not the quarterback that will lead this team to a National Championship. Not even close. We need a real quarterback. Like I said, we need a mobile qb, not a throwing rb.

I did look at the last couple recruiting classes though and I have to say, this year should be the year that we really see Bo's best classes shine through. This coming year will say everything about Bo and his staff. We have signed some very good players the last 2 years and this year's class is looking like it could be another impressive finish. Time to coach them up and get the talent on the field Bo. The excuses have nearly all worn thin.

As with many of you, I predicted a 4-loss season for the Huskers this year with us being on the bubble of perhaps being ranked at seasons end and perhaps not --- predicting then that NU would not really compete for the BiG championship or the division either. Now... looking to next year, it is way too early to make any real prediction... we would need to see what the competition brings back and what injuries are like for us and if we have any people leaving or if either of the two Jucos we think will sign, do sign and if they produce in practice... in other words many, many things need be assessed upon having played out before a concrete prediction is made.

As to a pre-prediction --- so to speak --- I see no real reason why the Huskers will be better next year relative to this years squad. And, it would seem that Michigan and OSU are perched to improve a great deal. The other two teams ahead of NU this year, MSU and Wisconsin, both might drop some... but Wisconsin will still likely land ahead of the Huskers by a good margin. So... w/o committing to this this early, I'd think that NU will be pretty much (relative to the conference) where they were this year --- about 5th (or perhaps 4th) in the conference. I'd think a 4 loss season is about right, w/o competing for the B1G conference championship and as well falling well below Michigan in the Legends division... and once again finishing in the 22-30 range nationally at seasons end. Significantly better, or significantly worse than this is pretty unlikely.

As with many of you, I predicted a 4-loss season for the Huskers this year with us being on the bubble of perhaps being ranked at seasons end and perhaps not --- predicting then that NU would not really compete for the BiG championship or the division either. Now... looking to next year, it is way too early to make any real prediction... we would need to see what the competition brings back and what injuries are like for us and if we have any people leaving or if either of the two Jucos we think will sign, do sign and if they produce in practice... in other words many, many things need be assessed upon having played out before a concrete prediction is made.

As to a pre-prediction --- so to speak --- I see no real reason why the Huskers will be better next year relative to this years squad. And, it would seem that Michigan and OSU are perched to improve a great deal. The other two teams ahead of NU this year, MSU and Wisconsin, both might drop some... but Wisconsin will still likely land ahead of the Huskers by a good margin. So... w/o committing to this this early, I'd think that NU will be pretty much (relative to the conference) where they were this year --- about 5th (or perhaps 4th) in the conference. I'd think a 4 loss season is about right, w/o competing for the B1G conference championship and as well falling well below Michigan in the Legends division... and once again finishing in the 22-30 range nationally at seasons end. Significantly better, or significantly worse than this is pretty unlikely.

Why do these teams improve but we don't? This has been a theme for some people on huskerboard for awhile now and it is somewhat rediculous. You guys are looking at it one way and that is it. If you are going to saty that we are losing this player and that player and are going to suck, you need to look at who these other teams are losing as well.

Why do these teams improve but we don't? This has been a theme for some people on huskerboard for awhile now and it is somewhat rediculous. You guys are looking at it one way and that is it. If you are going to saty that we are losing this player and that player and are going to suck, you need to look at who these other teams are losing as well.

you are only looking at a few elite teams though. how many programs are stagnant, or show promise but fail to produce?

Stumpy:

My thoughts on why Michigan will improve some is that I am extrapolating the line from where they were till now --- that is, Michigan improved under their new coaching staff dramatically; they got better with time all season long; and they have some of their best recruiting classes coming up to be juniors and seniors. To expect that with the momentum that they have and the success that they have begun to have, they will continue to get better. That is, the best predictor of the future is the immediate past --- they have been and are on an upswing and to assert that that will continue is reasonable. As to OSU, they have, arguably, the best talent in the conference --- their QB is emerging and has great upside --- the new staff is certifiably excellent and with that talent, that coaching, and with most of the distractions behind them, seeing OSU improve a great deal is also reasonable. Just how much is uncertain --- catching Michigan at this point this early even with the talent that OSU is propably not likely --- but passing NU is probable. As to NU not improving --- well again, extrapolate the line --- NU has not improved with time from the middle of the season before this none until now. They plat flat often, they play unfocused often. Our defense is losing some stars and is only serviceable as is --- offensively, our QB is about I'd think as far as his skill set will take him and unless the coaches unloose and use some of our weapons (Turner, Abdullah, Green, Heard) the offense will be as it has been (plus, perhaps , a little)... there is really no basis for predicting that NU will improve.

I see the gap between NU and the conference leaders as widening, largely because NU will be much the same (or modestly less, or, I suppose, modestly better) and the top of the conference (which was already well beyond NU's level) is getting better by a pretty good margin.

I think our position numerically in the conference will not likely change (still 4th or so) but the top will be pulling away more.

8-5

Losses to OSU, Mich, Mich lite, Wiscy, and Iowa or PSU. Just my feeling.

Unfortunately, I think that record is pretty close. Not sure I agree with the losses you've selected, but I think we'll be 8-5.

Our non-con is no slouch with Southern Miss (only team to beat Houston this year), UCLA (will be better with Mora), Ark State and an yet to be named cupcake I'm sure.

Wiscy will not be as good, but they crushed us this year, gonna be a tough win.

tOSU will be much improved with Urban, B Miller torched us last year, under Urban and us missing David...OUCH.

Northwestern, should be better. They graduate their starting QB, but the backup, that hurt us more, is back.

Michigan, should be much better in Hoke's 2nd season and beat us 45-17 this year. It will be in Lincoln. They say home field is worth 3...not nearly enough imo.

Sparty, we'll be on the road and they'll be hungry to avenge loss. No Cousins, but he didn't impress me.

Penn State is a debacle, I think we'll roll them.

Minnesota. A gimme. But so was ISU and NW. We lose that one game we have no business losing each season.

Iowa. We should beat them, but if we've struggled thus far, wheels will be coming off.

Schedule is rough and with no David and Dennard, I'm worried. Hopefully the JuCo CB will be great. And Green is better, but he was horrid early, so better doesn't mean good. Compton improved by leaps and bounds, but is and never will be a David type player, he is just not that guy. And who else at LB? D-line? Do we have a D-line?

Offensively, I don't see that we established a lot this season long term. Tmart improved, but will never, imo, be a big time QB and I don't think we take advantage of his strengths. None of the fresh RB's developed much. Did Heard or Green develop at all in the 2nd half of season? Bell looks good at WR, but Quincy didn't get used at all the 2nd half and Jamal was buried. The O-line was excellent early, but a train-wreck late. I just don't see a lot of improvement coming.

Not trying to hammer the team here, but I'm just calling it as I see it. I think it is gonna be a loooong 2012 for us.

I think all of your concerns are legit. Our corner play early in the season honestly could not have been any worse. I actually see our corners being solid throughout 2012, but nobody will be as dominant as Dennard. David will be missed, but I see Stafford as being our big play guy at safety. I have said it before and I'll say it again that Crick was hurt before the first snap in 2011 and played anyway. I think Steinkuhler is going to step up and be the leader for the D-line. No, he is not going to be like Suh was the second half of his senior year (the playing time that everyone seems to only remember...)... Next year is put up or shut up for our offensive line. Blocking and penalties need to improve. I am tired of seeing our O-line getting manhandled by even mediocre D-lines. It's no wonder why Rex is our only back with any success. He has to make unbelievable moves in the backfield or LOS to make any positive yards.

The good:

-returning QB with experience-(I had to defend Frost in 96 and Martinez is going to prove the naysayers wrong as well)

-Burkhead

-solid kicking

-emergence of Compton on D

-new offense had respectable season in first year

The bad:

-starting center graduated (I sense there will be some exchange problems in 2012)

-will JT be a part of our offense in 2012?

-Dennard and David graduating

The ugly:

-meltdowns could continue

-without David, Robinson would have broke about 10 more huge runs against us...

I predict 10 wins in 2012.

a lot will depend on the play of the offensive line, which should be better next year.....i still don,t think we will be a top dog yet, and might have 3 loses next year..i hope i am wrong, but we are still a very young team....i am still not convinced that beck is a good offensive coach, but who am i too judge......

I agree, it will come down to how well the offense matures in the new system under beck during the off season. I just hope the new recruits can step up and be playmakers just like the freshmen did this year.

I still say that 9-10 win scenario, and will beat a team we shouldnt and lose to one we shouldnt. It's just a rut we're gonna be in for a few years, I just hope we can live with it without hitting the reset button before gettting out. As far as division champion/ccj, I'll just toss a coin. I see a lot of good things, but i see some scary things, just like any other season.