Where was the creativity?

Hoosker

My question is why didn't Tim Beck open up the playbook and try to confuse the Gamecock defense in the 2nd half? I still can't bring myself to watch the replay of the game so I may be off on the playcalls, but it seems to me that we stuck with the same old stuff when nothing was really working. We hardly saw the diamond formation (I still believe this should be our primary formation), reverses, flea flickers, or even that crazy option play we used against Michigan with Abdullah getting the pitch from Rex. None of these were worth a try? Not even once?

I just wish we would have played like it was the last game in months in terms of playcalling.

Anyone else feel that we left opportunities in the playcalling dept?

Interesting. Several others were complaining that we went away from what's working.

After the first drive of the second half (missed FG), we didn't have much of a chance to do anything. Killed ourselves with penalties and sacks.

I also thought we might see more gagetry. We got a reverse, a QB throwback (attempted) and Burkhead pitching to Martinez.

Mills, I'll be honest. If I had one gripe about Beck's playcalling, it's that at times, he tries to get too cute with his foo-foo finesse plays and we lose a lot of physicality because of that. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I felt about the offensive playcalling in the second half. The first half was really well called, and we ran down the throats of a really aggressive, physical defense. But I think Taylor was right: SC's defense was not the best one we played this year. Maybe it was the fastest, but in no way was it the best.

But I think Taylor was right: SC's defense was not the best one we played this year. Maybe it was the fastest, but in no way was it the best.

Didn’t the South Carolina defense hold NU to a season low in yards and points while also recording a season high 6 sacks?

Which defense was better? Michigan?

Penn State or Michigan State. Possibly Ohio State. The fact that we scored only 13 points to me is because of all the mistakes that we made. The fumble by Abdullah inside the redzone, the interception by Taylor in field goal range, the missed field goal. That's 9 points right there that we should have had, probably 13 because on the drive where Abdullah fumbled, we were headed to the endzone. Add in all of the penalties by the O-Line in the 2nd half, and that is a team beating itself. In addition, if Taylor doesn't throw that INT right before halftime, the hail mary play likely never happens, and we head into the locker room up 16-9.

I'm just saying that we were running and throwing the ball right down their throats until we started beating ourselves.

• Fire 2

We got extremely vanilla in the 2nd half. We literally just called the same plays over and over again with running Burkhead up the middle, the Martinez draw, and when Martinez calls the audible by falling back and pushing his hand up and down to the receivers. I know every time he does that it's going to be a pass so obviously South Carolina does as well.

Yeah I would definitely argue the exact opposite, OP. In a goal line situation, instead of keeping to things that were working, we brought Burkhead under center and tried a pitch to Martinez that didn't work.

In the second half, with 12 minutes left and the score 23-13, we had a six play drive that ended in a punt. This drive included four pass plays, a huge drop by Tim Marlowe and two running plays. There was plenty of time for Nebraska to do what they do best and that's run the football, and Beck went away from it. Nebraska took it to USC in the first half on base offense plays and good execution. In fact, Nebraska would have had the lead at half were it not for two turnovers, more than likely.

There's plenty to be said about this team having a problem when they get hit in the mouth, but Beck's playcalling did them no favors.

Yeah I would definitely argue the exact opposite, OP. In a goal line situation, instead of keeping to things that were working, we brought Burkhead under center and tried a pitch to Martinez that didn't work.

In the second half, with 12 minutes left and the score 23-13, we had a six play drive that ended in a punt. This drive included four pass plays, a huge drop by Tim Marlowe and two running plays. There was plenty of time for Nebraska to do what they do best and that's run the football, and Beck went away from it. Nebraska took it to USC in the first half on base offense plays and good execution. In fact, Nebraska would have had the lead at half were it not for two turnovers, more than likely.

There's plenty to be said about this team having a problem when they get hit in the mouth, but Beck's playcalling did them no favors.

Yeah. Why we struggle to regain our composer is a big concern. But play calling sure didn't help.

Yeah. Why we struggle to regain our composer is a big concern. But play calling sure didn't help.

Most definitely. I'm of the opinion that it's a lack of player leadership/accountability, followed a little bit by Pelini's composure and then just a general youth issue. To me, David and Dennard are the only two guys defensively that scream leadership and toughness. They're gone next year, so who steps up? The team needs multiple guys on each side of the ball showcasing good leadership skills and holding one another accountable - it can't all come from Pelini.

As far as Pelini is concerned, Sam McKewon brought up a good point yesterday. On one drive in the second half, Nebraska got called for pass interference. Instead of keeping his calm, or even arguing about the call, Pelini is over yelling at the ref about Baker Steinkuhler getting shoved to the ground. It wasn't the right time, and it was a time Pelini needed to keep himself together. As Pelini goes, I think this team goes. And it appears they rely on him for a lot of direction and leadership, so if he is getting frustrated and losing a little control I think the team does as well.

And then the youth is, well...obvious. We had something like 6 or 7 guys play on offense this year who have never really played (guys like Moore, Bell, Turner, Abdullah, etc., are a few that come to mind).

Most definitely. I'm of the opinion that it's a lack of player leadership/accountability, followed a little bit by Pelini's composure and then just a general youth issue. To me, David and Dennard are the only two guys defensively that scream leadership and toughness. They're gone next year, so who steps up? The team needs multiple guys on each side of the ball showcasing good leadership skills and holding one another accountable - it can't all come from Pelini.

As far as Pelini is concerned, Sam McKewon brought up a good point yesterday. On one drive in the second half, Nebraska got called for pass interference. Instead of keeping his calm, or even arguing about the call, Pelini is over yelling at the ref about Baker Steinkuhler getting shoved to the ground. It wasn't the right time, and it was a time Pelini needed to keep himself together. As Pelini goes, I think this team goes. And it appears they rely on him for a lot of direction and leadership, so if he is getting frustrated and losing a little control I think the team does as well.

And then the youth is, well...obvious. We had something like 6 or 7 guys play on offense this year who have never really played (guys like Moore, Bell, Turner, Abdullah, etc., are a few that come to mind).

Excellent post and point as well. Other than Rex on offense, we really lack leadership. Don't know who steps up on D next year either.

Brings me back to the Virginia Tech game in 08 I think. Pelini blew up, and you could see how it impacted the outcome of the game. A&M as well. Getting screwed by the refs or not, his temper has a dramtic impact on the game.

Brings me back to the Virginia Tech game in 08 I think. Pelini blew up, and you could see how it impacted the outcome of the game. A&M as well. Getting screwed by the refs or not, his temper has a dramtic impact on the game.

Exactly. I don't know how much stock to put into this affecting the team, but I believe it does to a certain extent.

First half Pelini and second half Pelini were two different beasts. As the team faltered, Pelini grew agitated and began to defend his guys. Pelini needs to realize he doesn't have to play dad all the time. But, he's learning. He's still very young. He just needs to pick and choose his fights better, and make sure his players realize they're responsible for what happens on the field. Coaches can only do so much.

Pretty good example - on the hail mary pass caught by Jeffrey, I'm 100% positive the coaches said to make sure someone was behind Jeffrey on the play. They're smart coaches and they know how to defend a deep pass. What happened? Dennard has to go flying down the field to defend a guy he wasn't supposed to be defending, and doesn't get there in time. That's quite a simply just a major foul up by the players. They were told to do something, they've been coached to do something, and they didn't do it. It's that kind of thing that players should be holding one another accountable for, not relying on the coaches to tell them what they did wrong and how to do it right.

But I think Taylor was right: SC's defense was not the best one we played this year. Maybe it was the fastest, but in no way was it the best.

Didn’t the South Carolina defense hold NU to a season low in yards and points while also recording a season high 6 sacks?

Which defense was better? Michigan?

Penn State or Michigan State. Possibly Ohio State. The fact that we scored only 13 points to me is because of all the mistakes that we made. The fumble by Abdullah inside the redzone, the interception by Taylor in field goal range, the missed field goal. That's 9 points right there that we should have had, probably 13 because on the drive where Abdullah fumbled, we were headed to the endzone. Add in all of the penalties by the O-Line in the 2nd half, and that is a team beating itself. In addition, if Taylor doesn't throw that INT right before halftime, the hail mary play likely never happens, and we head into the locker room up 16-9.

I'm just saying that we were running and throwing the ball right down their throats until we started beating ourselves.

Good point. Nebraska didn't need South Carolina's defense to come up with big plays for negative yardage, because with all those penalties, our offense gave them all the negative yardage they needed.