Corey Raymond

majech

Here's what I like about Raymond: He isn't into the coachspeak. He's going to tell you how things are, and if you don't like it, too bad. And you can't really say he's wrong, can you? (Let the bashing of this sentence commence...) You can't truly expect players like Thorell, Blatchford to compete week in and week out againts players like Alshon Jeffrey? Cunningham from MSU? Toon, Abrederis? And if we were in the Big 12, Blackmon, Broyles, Stills, etc. Or that if Thorell, Blatchford were small town kids in Oklahoma or Louisiana, that they'd be starting for their schools there?

The second thing that I like about it him is this: After he tells you straight up what is wrong, he takes full responsibility for his position as the coach of that secondary to make sure it gets fixed. Those results can be seen already in the type of players he is recruiting and the type of players he is starting to bring into Nebraska. Not only is he trying to take responsibility for his secondary, he's tyring to bring that swagger and skill level back to all phases of that defense. You can't fault him for trying to fix the very flawed pieces of our defense that we like to complain about here on the board.

:thumbsto you sir..........What people don't realize is that our secondary lost Prince/Hagg/Gomes. Hard to replace that and the secondary was the least of my worries this year. Our D-line was much much weaker than our secondary. They are Slow and I get that we run the 2-gap technique, but when I see a QB only having to side step to completely juke our DL out of their shoes............Not good.......I love that coach Raymond is coming in a mixing it up, and the guy so far has been a HELL of a recruiter

that's all well and good and i am for giving him time to find better athletes, but when does the excuse that it is inferior players causing us to lose and not his coaching? i will be watching for that line of sh#t to stop!

Funny thing that he said this. I just had this conversation with a guy at the coffee shop the other day - saying how I wonder if part of the problem with this team is that we walk out of the tunnel thinking "We're Nebraska" as if that still means what it used to mean. When the reality that we are NOT that Nebraska hits, these teams seem to collapse. These collapses span three coaches. They span more than a decade. The one constant is the N on the side of the helmet.

I think, maybe, it's why teams come in to Lincoln as big underdogs and give us a huge battle - or beat us (2009 ISU, 2010 NW). They know we're not that Nebraska. Maybe it's time we learned that, too.

Great coments. In the past, we beat a team this year so badly so that for the remainder of the contract/conference etc we had already won. No one wanted face NU again after the beating that they received the previous years. We were a mean physical team that teams honestly feared to play after playing us once. We lost that edge, that mystique. Raymond, a non-Nebraska guy seems to get that with his comments. Time folks remembered what Nebraska was and get back to that. Beck this includes your crappy play calling.

Yep, and when we had that "edge" when did you EVER hear our coaches publicly question our players heart, talent, and fight? Never. That is now what great coaches do. Period. Even if it is true, you don't publicly berate your players. Players need to want to run through a wall for their coaches and have 100% belief and trust in them. Do you think our secondary players will feel that way about Raymond now? I highly doubt it. It's like the kid on the playground that runs to Mommy, even if he is right...all credibility is gone.

I hear ya. Bo aint TO. Nowhere even close. Neither were any of the teams he fielded comparable to anything we have had since 1997.

Raymond said what every fan has been thinking the past 2-3 yrs. Was it the right venue, no. Is it the truth? Yes. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Never thought about the angle saying Bo's recruiting sux.

It also doesn't really help when we have athletes like Osborne, Smith, JT, Vooper, the triplets etc that were either in the doghouse or never got a shot.

Fans say many things and do many things that the coaches should never say privately or publicly. If he wants to call out the players and challenge them, do it in person, not the media. Even NFL coaches that are coaching paid, full-time professionals rarely, if ever, publicly call out a player that is trying there best. They may get fed up with a malcontent at times and go public, but not with players that are trying. I believe our players are doing their best, but some are just not that good. What good does it do to question their heart, skill, and character in the media? I see nothing be bad results from an action like Raymonds.

Yep, and when we had that "edge" when did you EVER hear our coaches publicly question our players heart, talent, and fight? Never. That is now what great coaches do. Period. Even if it is true, you don't publicly berate your players. Players need to want to run through a wall for their coaches and have 100% belief and trust in them. Do you think our secondary players will feel that way about Raymond now? I highly doubt it. It's like the kid on the playground that runs to Mommy, even if he is right...all credibility is gone.

I seem to recall Charlie McBride and Milt Tenopir being unafraid to mince words publicly when we lost games. Probably couldn't name you specific dates/games, but it wasn't like Charlie was afraid to air grievances about bad play. Uncle Milty had a few choice words after some losses too, as I recall.

Here's what I like about Raymond: He isn't into the coachspeak. He's going to tell you how things are, and if you don't like it, too bad. And you can't really say he's wrong, can you? (Let the bashing of this sentence commence...) You can't truly expect players like Thorell, Blatchford to compete week in and week out againts players like Alshon Jeffrey? Cunningham from MSU? Toon, Abrederis? And if we were in the Big 12, Blackmon, Broyles, Stills, etc. Or that if Thorell, Blatchford were small town kids in Oklahoma or Louisiana, that they'd be starting for their schools there?

The second thing that I like about it him is this: After he tells you straight up what is wrong, he takes full responsibility for his position as the coach of that secondary to make sure it gets fixed. Those results can be seen already in the type of players he is recruiting and the type of players he is starting to bring into Nebraska. Not only is he trying to take responsibility for his secondary, he's tyring to bring that swagger and skill level back to all phases of that defense. You can't fault him for trying to fix the very flawed pieces of our defense that we like to complain about here on the board.

:thumbs to you sir..........What people don't realize is that our secondary lost Prince/Hagg/Gomes. Hard to replace that and the secondary was the least of my worries this year. Our D-line was much much weaker than our secondary. They are Slow and I get that we run the 2-gap technique, but when I see a QB only having to side step to completely juke our DL out of their shoes............Not good.......I love that coach Raymond is coming in a mixing it up, and the guy so far has been a HELL of a recruiter

that's all well and good and i am for giving him time to find better athletes, but when does the excuse that it is inferior players causing us to lose and not his coaching? i will be watching for that line of sh#t to stop!

In watching that game anyone should be able to tell that SC had SUPERIOR Athletes to Nebraska..........Raymond is just pointing it out

their wasn't a real point to it.

These are all players that Bo and his staff (minus Raymond and Fisher) recruited. Basically by coming out and saying the talent isn’t there is saying, that until Raymond got here, the staff wasn’t doing its jobs as recruiter and/or talent developers but now that he is here it is all going to change. So pretty much he called out his boss and fellow coaches as well as the players.

:yeah

This is an issue that Bo will definitely have to address this offseason, and very soon. No matter how good a coach or recruiter Corey Raymond is, Bo CANNOT allow one of his own coaches to be insubordinate. You are exactly right, Raymond basically called out his boss and fellow coaches as well as the players that were recruited by those coaches. It showed a lack of class by Coach Raymond to throw his current players under the bus at the end of the season after he had worked with them all year.

I expect in the next week or so we will see an apology statement by Coach Raymond about his remarks. If we don't, as a Husker fan I will be very disappointed.

i agree, Raymond just sh#t in his mess kit and by now he regrets it i am sure.

Don't agree with you. what a surprise!

After thinking about it. we should just hug them and pat them on the ass and say everything if alright.

Nawwww. as young adults let them be accountable for their play. Tuff love.

If your superior called you out publicly like that, not saying that you weren't trying hard enough, or not giving it your best effort, but just flat out saying that you're not smart or talented enough to do your job, and they're hoping to replace you with someone better as soon as possible, how would feel about that?

I agree with a point one poster made... I thought the idea was to point the thumb. I guess that was just talk.

• Fire 1

Wanting tough, mean, nasty cornerbacks (and defenders in general) is incompatible with this hand-holding nonsense people seem to expect from our coaches. If these guys are Blackshirts, they can handle what amounts to a very mild tongue lashing by their position coach.

If what Raymond said is really a problem, it probably explains why the Blackshirts have slipped the last couple of years.

I have absolutely no problem with Raymond's comments, because he's right. At some point in time we have to stop worrying about hurting peoples feelings and stop accepting mediocrity. He sees it, we all see it. Aside from Dennard there was a complete lack of athleticism in the secondary. Maybe this will make the staff work even harder than they already are to get top notch talent to come play for us.

I agree completely. Bo said the Secondary was to be the strength of our defense this year because of depth. Yet we had to grab a player from the other side of the ball because our proposed depth was just great on paperbut not on the field.

I agree completely. Bo said the Secondary was to be the strength of our defense this year because of depth. Yet we had to grab a player from the other side of the ball because our proposed depth was just great on paperbut not on the field.

The D Line was supposed to be a strength due to depth, not the secondary. I don't think anyone cited the secondary as a strong point. In fact, the secondary was widely regarded as the weak link on the whole team.

The positive thing is that as the season wore on we saw marked improvement by Andrew Green, and some by Ciante. Those guys are going to be crucial going forward, so that was somewhat positive. If Kaz gets the D Line to be more disruptive, that can only help the secondary next year.

The D Line was supposed to be a strength due to depth, not the secondary. I don't think anyone cited the secondary as a strong point. In fact, the secondary was widely regarded as the weak link on the whole team.

The positive thing is that as the season wore on we saw marked improvement by Andrew Green, and some by Ciante. Those guys are going to be crucial going forward, so that was somewhat positive. If Kaz gets the D Line to be more disruptive, that can only help the secondary next year.

I agree. There were dozens of conversations where we were thankful the DL was in such great shape, because it was going to take some stress of the secondary. Instead, the DL (or the scheme) was a mess...and instead of 3 seconds of coverage they were frequently (likely more than 50% of the time) asked to defend the backfield for 6-7-8 seconds on passing downs. How many times did Shaw dance around for that long in the bowl game. Honestly it goes to show you that maybe our backfield wasn't that bad...because a number of times Shaw had nothing. I'd bet 3 out of 4 sacks this year were coverage sacks. And to top it off they're always in man coverage - so a scrambling QB that can get around our ends (which doesn't take much) has 20 yards to run downfield before anyone in the secondary realizes he's even running.

The positive thing is that we promoted the position coach for that dominant DL. He's vast experience will be crucial going forward. :sarcasm:

I agree. There were dozens of conversations where we were thankful the DL was in such great shape, because it was going to take some stress of the secondary. Instead, the DL (or the scheme) was a mess...and instead of 3 seconds of coverage they were frequently (likely more than 50% of the time) asked to defend the backfield for 6-7-8 seconds on passing downs. How many times did Shaw dance around for that long in the bowl game. Honestly it goes to show you that maybe our backfield wasn't that bad...because a number of times Shaw had nothing. I'd bet 3 out of 4 sacks this year were coverage sacks. And to top it off they're always in man coverage - so a scrambling QB that can get around our ends (which doesn't take much) has 20 yards to run downfield before anyone in the secondary realizes he's even running.

The positive thing is that we promoted the position coach for that dominant DL. He's vast experience will be crucial going forward. :sarcasm:

You're right about opposing QBs have way too much time. Bo's "defensive genius" has taken a severe hit in my eyes this year. That "containment" crap has got to be 86'd. I hate that.

I'm not all that upset about Papuchis being promoted, though. Look at Bohl. He sucked as a DC, but he's doing all right as a head coach. He's 71-31 and has a 5-1 post-season record. Some guys just need to find their niche. Maybe I'm just pumping more sunshine, but I'm not horrified that Pap is the DC. I expect results, though.

• Fire 1

You're right about opposing QBs have way too much time. Bo's "defensive genius" has taken a severe hit in my eyes this year. That "containment" crap has got to be 86'd. I hate that.

I'm not all that upset about Papuchis being promoted, though. Look at Bohl. He sucked as a DC, but he's doing all right as a head coach. He's 71-31 and has a 5-1 post-season record. Some guys just need to find their niche. Maybe I'm just pumping more sunshine, but I'm not horrified that Pap is the DC. I expect results, though.

JP wouldn't bother me so much if it hadn't just followed Beck (which didn't bother me much last year). Both coordinators being so unexperienced worries the heck out of me. It makes me think Bo is micromanaging...or setting himself up to be able to. Anyone in business knows that's a disaster waiting to happen.