Corey Raymond

majech

Nebraska secondary coach Corey Raymond said the Husker defenders knew what they were supposed to do, but didn’t do it.

“It was explained to them right there before the half,” Raymond said. “We just have to execute. That’s all it is. It’s a mental breakdown.”

http://www.theindepe...6c.html?photo=0

>> The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”

What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?

“Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”

Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”

Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

http://sports.omaha....ch-bites-jan-3/

Nebraska secondary coach Corey Raymond said the Husker defenders knew what they were supposed to do, but didn’t do it.

“It was explained to them right there before the half,” Raymond said. “We just have to execute. That’s all it is. It’s a mental breakdown.”

http://www.theindepe...6c.html?photo=0

>> The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”

http://sports.omaha....ch-bites-jan-3/

Wowza.

Edit, I see you added more in your post. I tend to agree with a couple things he said, but he is basically publicly saying they aren't talented. Not sure how I'd feel about my coach saying that. Hopefully it motivates them but knowing our guys it will probably have the opposite effect.

honestly, I think it was a low blow by Raymond. Marvin did more with less! Without LSU type talent, Raymond seems to be struggling. And, instead of taking it like a man, he blames it on the players. WOW!

I lost some respect for him after that. Is it taken out of context? I dont know..

I actually just gained a lot of respect for coach Raymond after reading that. It's amazing how honesty and acceptance of shortcomings can buy patience and understanding. If Bo practiced that, there would be less consternation about the future of the program. People would understand that he sees the problems and has clear intentions of fixing them. Instead, he snaps at reporters who ask about said problems or just gives recycled answers.

And yes, Raymond is right about the talent gap - and it's not just in the secondary.

• Fire 3

Even if he's right--and he probably is--this isn't the type of thing a coach should say after losing a bowl game. The coaches should be circling the wagons, sticking together, and motivating their guys for a better performance next year. Not throwing the players under the bus.

honestly, I think it was a low blow by Raymond. Marvin did more with less! Without LSU type talent, Raymond seems to be struggling. And, instead of taking it like a man, he blames it on the players. WOW!

I lost some respect for him after that. Is it taken out of context? I dont know..

yep, i think Cally went down this hershey highway on his way out the door...imagine if you are a returning defender, knowing your coach thinks you have little or no talent.......i guess you could take that either way......not sure about any of our coaches anymore.

It's about time it's been said, you think Nick Saban and Kirby Smart are pulling punches down at Alabama? Hell no they're not! I'm with Corey Raymond 100% here, we didn't have the athletes that South Carolina did and they aren't even the best the SEC has to offer and put our athletes to shame. That's part of the problem, Raymond is a guy from the south who gets it, he knows the difference between the kids that come from the south to play football and the ones that don't. Each year those kids are winning titles, we have many of those athletes though we are quite far from having a roster full of them like LSU, Bama, and Georgia do and yet we don't even play some of our best athletes half the time. Raymond said it and he's right our athletes didn't match up with theirs because we played guys like Cassidy and Blatchford in the secondary who wouldn't even sniff the two-deep at places like LSU yet they start for us. That's what he was saying in a nutshell and it's hard to argue that, he wants us to recruit better/elite athletes plain and simple, and he wants us to play the athletes we have now.

That's a pretty bad way to call out the players on the team. Even if out-matched, how do the players have any respect for that coach anymore? That's pretty low rent imo. Another example of our coaching staff being in over there ski's, so to speak.

Earlier in the season, Raymond told the press that he had forgotten to sub players in and out of the game because he was so caught up in the game. Maybe our players don't match up with SC's player well enough for him, but I don't think he matches up to opposing teams coaches well enough for our players.

The players need to be held accountable also, just like the coaches need to be.

I agree, but that isnt crap you spew to the media. I think it should be kept within the team, but just my opinion.

Marvin did more with less? 3 of his Dbs are in the NFL? Our secondary played very well.

Exactly. Marvin made converted RB and 3 star players into first round draft picks. I think Raymond has more raw talent to work with, just cant develope it like Marvin could.

The players need to be held accountable also, just like the coaches need to be.

I agree, but that isnt crap you spew to the media. I think it should be kept within the team, but just my opinion.

Marvin did more with less? 3 of his Dbs are in the NFL? Our secondary played very well.

Exactly. Marvin made converted RB and 3 star players into first round draft picks. I think Raymond has more raw talent to work with, just cant develope it like Marvin could.

Yep. Just see Evans under Sanders and Evans under Raymond. He looked like an up and coming stud when he filled in last season due to injury, this year was rough. Same with Osborne, looked good last season, bad this season.

The secondary was solid this year, but it really should have been much better. I don't know if all the blame should fall on Raymond, but he didn't seem to help much. Comments like this show that he is out of touch. Nebraska was the only team on the field that could beat Nebraska yesterday. It was not an issue of Nebraska talent vs. Southern talent.