Nebraska needs to be competitive again

What gets me was all this talk about how brutal our schedule was then losing some games like 99.9% of all teams do every season most of them much worse then us and suddenly we have a Billy C crisis. Really not a bad season dealing with the many injuries and a 2 year QB. We lose a bowl game to a very good SC team, if it wasn't a NC or playoff does it really matter. We need to improve we all know that a 9 win season is unexceptable, I stand by my team, take my medicine and pray for better football next season.

This article says it best

http://www.siouxcity...608f91c782.html

The problems is that Nebraska was completely capable of beating NW and and USC this year, and blew it on their own. Same with Texas, Washington and Oklahoma in 2010, and Iowa State and TTU in 09. The line needs to be drawn somewhere. Yes, teams get upset, but if you're the "better" team capable of winning and you lose 7 of those games in 3 seasons, there's a problem somewhere.

in his last 17 games, Bo is 10-7. this is what's biting Bo in the ass and fuels his frustration. at this point i don't think we can say that Bo is the right long term coach for NU. the next 2 years will be telling. he has a lot of growing to do, on and off the field.......i would hope is is smart enough to go look at some highly sucessful teams and how they function....you don't have to emulate your oponent, but you can learn a lot from them, if you choose to.

in his last 17 games, Bo is 10-7. this is what's biting Bo in the ass and fuels his frustration. at this point i don't think we can say that Bo is the right long term coach for NU. the next 2 years will be telling. he has a lot of growing to do, on and off the field.......i would hope is is smart enough to go look at some highly sucessful teams and how they function....you don't have to emulate your oponent, but you can learn a lot from them, if you choose to.

:LOLtartar There it is again. I love it. Did you know he was 15-2 in the Prevoius 17? That's my favorite. That's like the best 17 game run in College football in the last however many year. Bama and LSU dont have stretches that good.

:LOLtartar There it is again. I love it. Did you know he was 15-2 in the Prevoius 17? That's my favorite. That's like the best 17 game run in College football in the last however many year. Bama and LSU dont have stretches that good.

sure, that's goof stuff, but his most recent 17 games shows an unprecedent slide.......i guess we can just ignore that, eh? it sure doesn't show even a modest trend of improvement........oh sorry, we shouldn't be looking for that!

I have not read the entire thread, but based on what I have read I will say this:

The USC game was one or two plays that went their way from us being up by a considerable margin going into halftime. It is frustraiting to always be that close and I know the players feel the same way. We were not outmatched or overwhelmed by their talent or speed. The SEC has this hubris about themselves that is sickening. We were just as strong, fast, and talented at every spot (save clowney) as they were. To claim the opposite, I would conclude that you didnt watch the first half of that game.

I have not read the entire thread, but based on what I have read I will say this:

The USC game was one or two plays that went their way from us being up by a considerable margin going into halftime. It is frustraiting to always be that close and I know the players feel the same way. We were not outmatched or overwhelmed by their talent or speed. The SEC has this hubris about themselves that is sickening. We were just as strong, fast, and talented at every spot (save clowney) as they were. To claim the opposite, I would conclude that you didnt watch the first half of that game.

so how did we not score a point in the 2nd half and remain their equals?

Funny that people who don't see Bo ever accept for four hours on a Saturday afternoon claim he needs to grow up on and off the field.

Bo's "sideline antics" are painted much worse by the media than they really are.

I hate reporters with a passion. Report what is there, not what you want it to read like.

Refer to my thread about half way down on the first page of the board. You will see my thoughts.

Bottom line, championship calibre teams lose. They get upset, BUT they do not get blown out like we did against Wisky, Michicken and the c$%ks. They do not have melt downs and completely fall apart. They do not get penalty after penalty. They do not get a delay of game after an off sides penalty.

Clean up the melt down mode and I think we could have beaten the c$%ks, hung with Wisky and beaten Michicken. We took a crap in our pants those three games.

I am tired of the excuses. They are like butt holes, everybody has one.

Beck is new

New position coaches

Injuries

Young team

Wats sux (sucked)

Cotton sucks

Sanders is gone

So and so sux

So and so drops to many balls

Folks were quick to lay it on Raymond saying "you don't call out the players like that". I think you also quit sugar coating things and believe we are one or two better plays away from winning a conference title. We have a long way to go. Tired of the excuses. Want results.

C

by making our own mistakes and what not. But seriously watching that game, I thought it was a good measuring stick and I now believe that our talent gap from us to the top teams is not nearly as large as I once thought it was.

by making our own mistakes and what not. But seriously watching that game, I thought it was a good measuring stick and I now believe that our talent gap from us to the top teams is not nearly as large as I once thought it was.

I agree with you. We do have talent on this team. The catch though is that I don't think some of the talent we have is being used in the right way or in the right areas. I still think Jamal Turner should have seen more of the field this year. I don't care if he doesn't know the whole playbook, the kid is a burner of an athlete, and if you are going to burn his red shirt then give him a few set of plays to master and use them.

The same could be said of Aaron Green. Hindsight is 20/20, but if he was not going to be a key cog in this offense this year than he should have kept his red shirt in my opinion.

Let me throw this question out there going into next season: Should Martinez still be our starting QB or should the coaches give a good look at Brion Carnes? Maybe they could do what Solich did with Crouch and Bobby Newcombe where he moved Newcombe over to Wide Receiver. Maybe Pelini could do the same with Martinez?

Anyway, I am just tossing ideas out there to see what sticks. What are some of your ideas that this Nebraska staff could do with our talent coming back next year?

I agree with you. We do have talent on this team. The catch though is that I don't think some of the talent we have is being used in the right way or in the right areas. I still think Jamal Turner should have seen more of the field this year. I don't care if he doesn't know the whole playbook, the kid is a burner of an athlete, and if you are going to burn his red shirt then give him a few set of plays to master and use them.

The same could be said of Aaron Green. Hindsight is 20/20, but if he was not going to be a key cog in this offense this year than he should have kept his red shirt in my opinion.

Let me throw this question out there going into next season: Should Martinez still be our starting QB or should the coaches give a good look at Brion Carnes? Maybe they could do what Solich did with Crouch and Bobby Newcombe where he moved Newcombe over to Wide Receiver. Maybe Pelini could do the same with Martinez?

Anyway, I am just tossing ideas out there to see what sticks. What are some of your ideas that this Nebraska staff could do with our talent coming back next year?

we ain't seeing Carnes, get ready for more of TM, throwing off his back foot, standing still in the pocket, getting sacked.....etc.

granted he is getting better at game management, but he has lost his burst and aggressiveness running.....he has lost his "take it to the house" attitude, every time he touches the ball.......he isn't the same guy who we saw the first year. he will remain inconsistent, will run hot, then cold.....fans will be happy one weekend, sad the next.......he doesn't have the tools to be consistent, but he damn sure ain't the only one!

We are a long ways from the elite of college football.

Killed by Wisconsin

Killed by Michigan

Killed by SC.

SC is not an elite part of the SEC by any means, they got wacked by Auburn, and Arkansas, badly who lost badly to both Bama and LSU, they barely beat Navy and squeaked by Georgia.

Elite teams in my oppinion currently are.

LSU

BAMA

Oregon

Stanford

USC

Boise State

Wisconsin

Oklahoma State

Kansas State

Arkansas

Next year add:

Oklahoma

Georgia

If we faced any of those teams on a neutral field we would get blown out worse than we have so far.

We are a miles from the talent level of the top 5 without a doubt and not that close to the other programs listed. Coaching we are even farther down the list.

Take off the Husker glasses, see what is there and deal with it.

We have lots of work to do in recruiting, training coaches, developing the talent we have, both on offense and deffense. Until those things happen we will continue to get blown out by top level teams and some that are below elite.