Callahan's a LOSER

Not NC caliber talent, but the same talent that won 10 games the year before he got here???

FACT: Many new players and old players playing together for the first year

Same as any team, any year.

FACT: Key Injuries

Yawn. 2 starters injured. Any team could make this argument.

FACT: Definate improvement fundamentally over BC's first year (thus far)

Hmmm, the offense is worse, and the D is not much better.

The only area with marked improvement is the special teams, but they were the worst in the nation last year.

Could Osborne, the great chess player of a coach that he was, take this team (with its current players) and win 9, 10, or 11?

With this schedule, easily. NU would likely be 8-0 right now with TO and McBride, with their only loss to CU or UT in the Championship game.

I remember when so many said Osborne couldn't win the big one, hell, it took him 20 years; and he didn't have limited by scholarships.

Bunk. TO won 9, 10, 11 games per year. He never "led" NU to a 5-6 season.

Did Callahan get his many college positions and pro positions because he is terrible?

FACT: billy c has coached on a bunch of mediocre teams, that have had mixed success and failure, nothing outstanding. He rides the coattails of taking another mans team to the SB, yet he destroyed the team the next year. The rest of his staff has similar "successes" on their resumes.

This program is not getting better with them here.

Uh, it is no surprise to anyone Former that you hate BC. Thanks for your astounding response.

How many years before TO won against OU and had a NC???????? How many years of transition from Bobby D to TommyO winning the big ones???? No disrespect to any former coaches if none was meant for the current coach. Funny thing, many people weren't even out of diapers when BD was coaching and TO was an assistant. Same arguments then as now. Different fans some older many younger some rootin from the hot seats and some from the sky boxes.

Oh yeah, TO won his first NC in 94 after starting the head coaching job in what 74. Do the math. You have to know that TO did not like comparisons to BD anymore than BC does to FS or TO.

Was there even any semblance of parity in the 60's, 70's, 80's and of course the wonder years 90's. I don't think so. Now the ISU's, MU's, etc. are starting to catch up and run with the big dogs. Only time will tell of NU rises out of the pack to lead as before.

Can everyone PLEASE tell themselves this repeatedly:

OPTION FOOTBALL IS OVER!!!!

The speed of the game has increased dramatically. Every defensive position is bigger, stronger, and faster than ever! Tell me a team besides the military schools that run power option consistently. So yeah, let's bring back Frank and see what he can do. Continue to recruit on a mediocre basis and watch the team continue on its downward spiral. It was all over after Tom's last class was done in '01, that's pretty clear to me. And if anyone really follows the recruiting the Huskers have been doing lately, and if they're smart, they would sit back and be patient with the process. WE WILL BE BACK!!

As long as everyone is content with 5 and 6 win seasons, we should be all set.  But I will go on record right now and guarantee you this:  Bill Callahan is incapable of winning more than 6 games in a season.  Any season.  If he generates any win more than 6, it should be cause for tremendous celebration by the Husker faithful.  But I don't see it happening.  Those days of 11,10,9, or even 8 wins a year are ancient history with Callahan.  Time will prove me correct.

The year and a half he has been proves nothing, but a coach trying to rebuild.

FACT: Talent was down we BC came in

FACT: When BC came in, NU did not have pass savy players

FACT: Players were frustrated with coaching changes leading to poor attitudes

FACT: Many new players and old players playing together for the first year

FACT: Key Injuries

FACT: Lack of experience on OL and D backfield

FACT: Definate improvement fundamentally over BC's first year (thus far)

Just a few that come to mind.

Lets say BC is as terrible as you say he is. What would you do if you were AD? Fire him? How would that benifit the team? Whom would you hire that would do better with the players that he has? Are you absolutely positive his planning sucks, or is it player execution and inexperience? Do you feel BC's planning problems are a simple fix? How would you start off against KU? If with the run, how would you fix the problem if the line blocks as poor as they have been? If with the pass, well same as the run? Well, not run-blocking well cause of inexperience and lack of talent, not pass protecting well cause of inexperience and lack of talent; now what? Did Callahan get his many college positions and pro positions because he is terrible? Could Osborne, the great chess player of a coach that he was, take this team (with its current players) and win 9, 10, or 11?

I think people really over simplify problems that BC has had. Many also offer up opinions, from the couch side of the televison, and there is absolutley nothing wrong with that; but, to say a coach is a "LOSER" and to "guarantee" that he incapable of winning more than 6 games in a season is rediculous. Time may tell that he does not have what it takes, but give it time. We all want NU to win football games, but I promise you that we all do not know what is best. Even though most think they do. I remember when so many said Osborne couldn't win the big one, hell, it took him 20 years; and he didn't have limited by scholarships.

I agree with most of what you said, also these player have gone through alot of coaching changes lets not forget. The talent is young and it will come the wins. I just don't it is fair to bash a coach that hard in his second year. Give him and the staff couple of more years and then bash if not improving. It extreamly hard to wait, we are spoiled. society always wants a quick fix, but I truley think we will be much improved next year.

wow "fans" i am sad to say it but GET OFF THE GUYS BACK...he could be doing a lot worse with what he has...I wouldn't call getting shafted all season on holding calls being a terrible coach...granted some of his play calling is different but so was devaneys when he got here...we all just need to be patient before we start going for somebody's throat, i mean job :D Granted the lie was unneccisary but possibly it wasn't how we read it... we have had a coach without viisible emotion for the last 30 years...we're going to have to get used to an outburst from time to time. Our guys didn't finish routes, weren't holding blocks and were making HORRIBLE reads on defense... you can only blame coaching for so long...you gotta look at the effort these men are giving...the interception for a touchdown, the overthrown pass were both Swifts fault for not finishing a dog gone route...but he got player of the game for the passes he finished. As Nebraska fans we pride ourself on knowing a little something about football but you guys are sounding like a bunch of ingnorant a$$hole$ afraid of a little change.

Was I upset at first when hearing about Solich being fired heck yes I was, but thats just a fact of life..move on and cheer on the next man blessed with the dream job of coaching our Huskers. I'm ashamed of some of the lack of loyalty to this team. They are still our boys and we need to support them... give this guy two years... if he still "sucks" we need to get someone new...but until then quit griping about how much we dislike this "loser"...remember how pissed everyone was when solich had his bad seasons.... now we mourn for the guy...give it time...

After a 5-6 year , how much did you expect our record to improve? REALISTICLY? I was happy as hell to jump out to a 5-1 start. In the back of my mind I knew there would still be growing pains.

Give BC 4 or 5 years. Then if we still havent improved upon things then I might think differently. Its a damned good thing that TO had people with more patients around than this.

my greatest fear is backing into a brass doorknob.

my second greatest fear is that five years down the road, nebraska is restored to their rightful place as kings of the college football world and billy c. bails for a job in the pros.

i like the thought of have a coach stay with us for 20+ years. i like the stablity.

my third greatest fear is that five years down the road, there *is no* improvement.

The question is, how long will it take NU administration to figure that fact out?  This year?  Next year?  07?  08?

Never. Why? Because calling him a loser is going overboard.

How many more "moral victories" do we have to endure?  How many more excuses about "inferior talent" will we have to hear?  How many times will we hear "we are making progress" when we are not? 

The coach himself has said there is no such thing as moral victories. There may be to some fans, but not to this team or this staff. The coaching staff has never come out and say they have inferior talent. That's fan talk. Lastly, the team is making progress in areas, but not yet as a whole which would be more reflected in wins and losses. We've had at least one chance to win every game we have been in this year.

The fact is, probably our best winning effort this year was on the road against Baylor.  Yes, Baylor.  We won 4 out of our first 5 games, but they were all at home, and all "patsy" games except Tech, which we lost. 

So you're just going to throw the teams performance against Tech under the bus? Nice.

It takes a man to stand up and say "I made a mistake".  Is Pederson man enough to stand up and say "I made a mistake?"  Is his ego too big? 
Pederson does have a big ego, but you are saying this was a mistake not him. Thanks for laying judgement down for all of husker nation :thumbs

I cannot believe that Nebraska football has slumped to this level.  The score Saturday could have been MUCH worse.  And frankly, we could have EASILY been beaten by either Wake Forest or Pitt - two of the worst teams in 1A.

Yea, and we could have won easily Saturday. Despite the mistakes we made, we still had chances to win. Wake Forest one of the worst teams? Boston College would probably disagree with you on that one...

Now, here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head. pancakebunny.gif

Could Osborne, the great chess player of a coach that he was, take this team (with its current players) and win 9, 10, or 11?

:worship Wouldn't surprise me at all. I suspect he could, but it would be an option offense. Not pretty, not trendy but effective. :horns2

The question is, how long will it take NU administration to figure that fact out?  This year?  Next year?  07?  08?

How many more "moral victories" do we have to endure?  How many more excuses about "inferior talent" will we have to hear?  How many times will we hear "we are making progress" when we are not? 

The fact is, probably our best winning effort this year was on the road against Baylor.  Yes, Baylor.  We won 4 out of our first 5 games, but they were all at home, and all "patsy" games except Tech, which we lost. 

It takes a man to stand up and say "I made a mistake".  Is Pederson man enough to stand up and say "I made a mistake?"  Is his ego too big? 

I cannot believe that Nebraska football has slumped to this level.  The score Saturday could have been MUCH worse.  And frankly, we could have EASILY been beaten by either Wake Forest or Pitt - two of the worst teams in 1A.

Wake up people - we have a lot more losses ahead of us before the W's start coming again.  And only Pederson can answer when the tide will turn.  It won't until Callahan's gone that's for sure.  The guy can't coach.  Nuff said.

Who do you suppose we get??? Bring in another coach and rebuild again? You think it's bad now....Firing a HC and bringing in a DC AGAIN will only bring this program down even farther! I don't suppose anyone remembers when the USC's, UT's, OU's or even the VT's went through this very same scenario! REBUILDING. The problem with us Husker fans is two things. 1. We have been spoiled for so long we don't know how it feels to rebuild. Sorry to burst your bubble folkes but even if we would of kept Frankie boy the same thing would of happened! 2. Some of the Husker fans became fans during the glory years of the 90's! So you in fact don't know what it's like to rebuild. Hell even when TO was here we would beat up teams in our conference but would lose in the Orange Bowl year after year. All I can say people is welcome to the 20th century! Until we get the caliber of kids that every other team seems to recruit we will continue to struggle. I knew the growing pains of totally revamping a Option oriented football team into the WCO was going to be painfull. These things take time but some of you think that we should be in the BCS now.