I wish Callahan was still our HC

This thread makes my head hurt..................I really can't believe someone would want Callahan back after what he did to our program. Take what he did on the field away, wipe it completely away from the discussion. What he did to our program is ridiculous by not allowing former players to stay connected with the program and completely erasing the past from our stadium. He further alienated the fanbase from the program. f#*k Bill Callahan................

What do you think about former players wanting NU to lose games when BC was HC? I think it's safe to say most NU fans wouldn't like it. If you were the HC would you let these type of former players around the program?

As far as I know those former players didn't want him to lose games until it was obvious he needed to go. Furthermore I don't know how well it's documented that former players "wanted" us to lose those games. Is it fact or is it assumption? I'm guessing the latter of the two. It was obvious he needed to go, it's not like former players said from day one, "I hope he loses all of his games!" If you say that's true.................I can't help you, you'll need professional help for that delusional virus.

How many times have I heard "Suck for Luck" on sports talk radio?

This thread makes my head hurt..................I really can't believe someone would want Callahan back after what he did to our program. Take what he did on the field away, wipe it completely away from the discussion. What he did to our program is ridiculous by not allowing former players to stay connected with the program and completely erasing the past from our stadium. He further alienated the fanbase from the program. f#*k Bill Callahan................

What do you think about former players wanting NU to lose games when BC was HC? I think it's safe to say most NU fans wouldn't like it. If you were the HC would you let these type of former players around the program?

As far as I know those former players didn't want him to lose games until it was obvious he needed to go. Furthermore I don't know how well it's documented that former players "wanted" us to lose those games. Is it fact or is it assumption? I'm guessing the latter of the two. It was obvious he needed to go, it's not like former players said from day one, "I hope he loses all of his games!" If you say that's true.................I can't help you, you'll need professional help for that delusional virus.

It's true they wanted us to lose unless Matt Davidson was lying when he said it.

I don't know if players did from day 1. However it's my assumption that some players were not supportive of BC from day one...and that's probably why some weren't welcome or embraced by BC. Unless you can think of a better reason why only SOME players weren't supposedly embraced. The last thing a new HC needs is bitter former players around that don't want that HC to be there. But I know there will always be some NU fans that think they KNOW BC is a bad bad man and he'd just shun former players for no good reason. Even though the only evidence out there shows he was a good good man. It's these type of fans that are a liability to NU.

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much optimism about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about that...and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little too full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC that is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which will be an attempt at finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up-n-comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

I agree with you that he brought in some really good recruits but it didn't seem like he did anything with them. After his last season here did you really still want him to stay? I didn't. Wasn't there also a complaint that he simply didn't understand our culture? My opinion was that Bill just wasn't a good college coach. It wasn't the first time that an NFL coach made the jump to college and it didn't work out. He sounds like a good offensive line coach or whatever he does for the Jets. I also don't think it was just that he wasn't willing to change DC that ended his career here. There were many things.

I think, if you were interested, that you could go back in the archives of this board and read the reasons why the university fired him and Steve Pederson. I respectfully disagree: I do not wish that Bill was still our coach. Sorry.

At the time I was ok w/ the firing and actually am now too. I just am not sold at all on Bo as HC, although I did give the benefit of the doubt....and I'm not calling for him to be fired at this time. I do feel he needs to step up his game in some areas...recruiting for one. I also hope our AD isn't handicapping him by not letting him bring in top choices as assistants because of not wanting to spend the money.

Also at the time of the BC firing I woudl have been ok w/ keeping him IF he got a new DC.

FS got a 2nd chance and was allowed to hire a new DC and revamp his assistants. I feel the same opportunity should have been given to BC. Seems like a double standard to me.

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much optimism about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about that...and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little too full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC that is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which will be an attempt at finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up-n-comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

I agree with you that he brought in some really good recruits but it didn't seem like he did anything with them. After his last season here did you really still want him to stay? I didn't. Wasn't there also a complaint that he simply didn't understand our culture? My opinion was that Bill just wasn't a good college coach. It wasn't the first time that an NFL coach made the jump to college and it didn't work out. He sounds like a good offensive line coach or whatever he does for the Jets. I also don't think it was just that he wasn't willing to change DC that ended his career here. There were many things.

I think, if you were interested, that you could go back in the archives of this board and read the reasons why the university fired him and Steve Pederson. I respectfully disagree: I do not wish that Bill was still our coach. Sorry.

It's a re-hash, but there was definitely a mismatch in understanding Nebraska history, culture, walk-ons, colege vs pros, etc. (We are seeing a little of that cultural disconnect coming from PSU right now.........and they haven't even played a down). Plus, the verdict is still out (jmo) on whether or not he is a Head Coach type. Might be another case of the Peter Principal at play. Take an outstanding offensive line guy and promote him into an inefficient CEO.

Having said all that ....................IF the rumors about Barney hanging it up are true................I'd LOVE for BC to be our O-line coach ! Of course, it will never happen, but I'd dream it would be a great fit (if not for his prior experience here).

There, that last sentence should convince doubters that we all don't HATE BC. It just wasn't a position and/or cultural match for him here.

You're oen of the more reasonable NU fans. However there is clearly a segment that just hates BC and everything he stands for.

• Fire 1

He was duck in the middle of the desert. He never understood what Nebraska was, what was expected. Was far to loyal to Coz and that is what cost him his job. I have never heard he wanted to fire Coz, the last I heard he stood behind his DC and would no matter what.

I can believe Nebraska would not want to spend anymore money on the experiment. Step in Big Booster, pay for Peterson to leave, hire Pelini, hire Osborne back and get rid of Clownahan was all done in September or earlier. The booster wanted Peterson and Clownahan gone, wanted Pelini from 2003 and made it happen by financing the whole thing. A lot of it was being a reported by a person many had little faith in, but what was going on was true.

That booster was still behind Bo a couple of months ago. I am not sure where it is at now.

I think we have a lame duck AD that has no power over the situation due to money and those that spend it. He is a figure head that gives us credibility, as he loves Nebraska and would do anything for the State and the University. This comes from people I know and have known for many years. As most know my family has been involved with the University for many many years. I have actually tried to talk with Tom on this and it is not possible to discuss.

Take it for what it is worth.

If that story is true, the booster is a prick. Boosters should NEVER have that much power and shame on NU for bowing to it.

• Fire 1

That's right, I said it.

At the time I was ok w/ the firing and actually am now too. I just am not sold at all on Bo as HC, although I did give the benefit of the doubt....and I'm not calling for him to be fired at this time. I do feel he needs to step up his game in some areas...recruiting for one. I also hope our AD isn't handicapping him by not letting him bring in top choices as assistants because of not wanting to spend the money.

Also at the time of the BC firing I would have been ok w/ keeping him IF he got a new DC.

FS got a 2nd chance and was allowed to hire a new DC and revamp his assistants. I feel the same opportunity should have been given to BC. Seems like a double standard to me.

Didn't Frank get fired right after he did that?

That's right, I said it.

Also at the time of the BC firing I would have been ok w/ keeping him IF he got a new DC.

Yes, he did. Due to the biggest failure of an AD in the history of cfb. God help you Pitt......

That's right, I said it.

yes because it was seen as him not improving enough. The 3 ugly losses that year is what decided it.

I have similar feelings about where our program is now as to back then....maybe more like I'm afraid it will end up there.

• Fire 1
He was duck in the middle of the desert. He never understood what Nebraska was, what was expected. Was far to loyal to Coz and that is what cost him his job. I have never heard he wanted to fire Coz, the last I heard he stood behind his DC and would no matter what.

I can believe Nebraska would not want to spend anymore money on the experiment. Step in Big Booster, pay for Peterson to leave, hire Pelini, hire Osborne back and get rid of Clownahan was all done in September or earlier. The booster wanted Peterson and Clownahan gone, wanted Pelini from 2003 and made it happen by financing the whole thing. A lot of it was being a reported by a person many had little faith in, but what was going on was true.

That booster was still behind Bo a couple of months ago. I am not sure where it is at now

I think we have a lame duck AD that has no power over the situation due to money and those that spend it. He is a figure head that gives us credibility, as he loves Nebraska and would do anything for the State and the University. This comes from people I know and have known for many years. As most know my family has been involved with the University for many many years. I have actually tried to talk with Tom on this and it is not possible to discuss.

Take it for what it is worth.

Respectfully,

There is no way in the world that it came down to one booster. The entire Champions Club and N Club (not to mention every Husker fan everywhere) wanted Callahan gone.