Why I am Terrified About Next Year

1. Nebraska's defense was disappointing this year and loses its 3 best players
  2. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt.
  3. The offense is built on a running QB that rarely scrambles from the pocket.
  4. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.
  5. Penalties and turnovers haven't improved in years.

2. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt.
  4. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.

1. I would be REALLY surprised if the defense is not improved next season. Yes, we lose the 3 best players, but Compton and Green stepped up toward the end of the year. We should be able to plug some pieces into the other spots and be a much improved team defensively. Mo Seisay is anticipated to fill in for Fonzo, and I'm sure somebody like Corey Cooper will fill Cassidy's spot and be much better than Cassidy ever was. Lavonte's spot could be filled by Whaley, Santos, Zaire Anderson, or a combination of those 3. And the best part is: No more Lance Thorell!!

2. Color me not worried. One of the few, actually. Plenty of guys got reps this year because of injury, especially on the lines. Every other position on offense is still VERY young, and a workhorse RB coming back in Burkhead.

3. I've been saying it all week: Taylor made HUGE strides as a quality QB this year, and I am almost convinced that he could lead us to a championship.

4. Abdullah is a prolific returner, and hopefully next year we see Jamal Turner returning some kicks as well in place of Marlowe. Kickoff coverage wasn't amazing this year, but I still can't recall any punts or kickoffs being taken back for touchdowns against us. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Moral of this post: We will be just fine. My only worry is replacing Yoshi, Caputo, and Marcel Jones, but I think Tyler Moore, Sirles, Andrus Peat (assuming he's a Husker), and Cole Pensick will fill in and be fine also. Maybe not improved, but hopefully more consistent.

1. I would be REALLY surprised if the defense is not improved next season. Yes, we lose the 3 best players, but Compton and Green stepped up toward the end of the year. We should be able to plug some pieces into the other spots and be a much improved team defensively. Mo Seisay is anticipated to fill in for Fonzo, and I'm sure somebody like Corey Cooper will fill Cassidy's spot and be much better than Cassidy ever was. Lavonte's spot could be filled by Whaley, Santos, Zaire Anderson, or a combination of those 3. And the best part is: No more Lance Thorell!!

2. Color me not worried. One of the few, actually. Plenty of guys got reps this year because of injury, especially on the lines. Every other position on offense is still VERY young, and a workhorse RB coming back in Burkhead.

3. I've been saying it all week: Taylor made HUGE strides as a quality QB this year, and I am almost convinced that he could lead us to a championship.

4. Abdullah is a prolific returner, and hopefully next year we see Jamal Turner returning some kicks as well in place of Marlowe. Kickoff coverage wasn't amazing this year, but I still can't recall any punts or kickoffs being taken back for touchdowns against us. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Moral of this post: We will be just fine. My only worry is replacing Yoshi, Caputo, and Marcel Jones, but I think Tyler Moore, Sirles, Andrus Peat (assuming he's a Husker), and Cole Pensick will fill in and be fine also. Maybe not improved, but hopefully more consistent.

Martinez made strides as a game manager. That is great, if we have an offense that is not predicated on a dual threat running QB. That is my concern with this staff. They appear to want to run an offense ie spread/zone read/option/power with a QB incapable of doing this. Martinez has crazy straight ahead, no one in his way runner. Scrambling, breaking tackles, mobile no.

Yoshi played well, but he self destructed in the bowl game. Caputo will be missed. We haven't had anyone take a snap in 3 years besides him. That worries me.

I also think there is a difference in guys getting meaningful reps vs filling in when a guy is injured. I hear what folks are saying about player development and depth, but I just don't see it.

I agree with MD3, we will have a harder go next year unless the staff does the old pointing the thumb and realize that in year 5, they need to jettison some crap.

#2 and #3........oh boy....... :rolleyes:

Martinez made strides as a game manager. That is great, if we have an offense that is not predicated on a dual threat running QB. That is my concern with this staff. They appear to want to run an offense ie spread/zone read/option/power with a QB incapable of doing this. Martinez has crazy straight ahead, no one in his way runner. Scrambling, breaking tackles, mobile no.

Yoshi played well, but he self destructed in the bowl game. Caputo will be missed. We haven't had anyone take a snap in 3 years besides him. That worries me.

I also think there is a difference in guys getting meaningful reps vs filling in when a guy is injured. I hear what folks are saying about player development and depth, but I just don't see it.

I agree with MD3, we will have a harder go next year unless the staff does the old pointing the thumb and realize that in year 5, they need to jettison some crap.

Yeah, I definitely don't disagree with you about anything that you said. I guess I tend to take the optimistic view on everything because I really do think that with just the right recipe, we have what it takes to be a contender. However, don't underestimate what Yoshi was to this football team. He was hurt all season long and still played pretty well. It sucks that he had those penalties in the bowl game, but that was just one of those all-around team implosions. Yoshi seemed like the vocal leader of the offense, and it seemed like his teammates loved him.

We will see how next year plays out, but I think Yoshi will be missed.

Let me make this easy for all of you. Did any of you watch this season? Okay, now remember this season. Now multiply that season times the next 2 seasons and WHAMMO! You now know what to expect for the next two years at Nebraska. Atleast the next two years. We'll see after that. As long as Bo continues to hire all his high school buddies for assistants, and Taylor Martinez is under center.........9 wins is what you get. Ohio State will beat us in their house. Michigan will take us behind the woodshed again. Wisconsin will still have a hell of a team and then you can expect to lose to somebody that you never dreamed we would lose to because this team clearly doesn't have the motivation or focus it takes to beat those sad ass teams into the dirt.

Expectations folks. They've got to change. Nebraska it not "The Nebraska" anymore. Colin Cowherd says it best. The days of these small town midwestern teams dominating is over. The fact that a University in Lincoln Nebraska was among the most dominant programs ever is absolutely miraculous. You can't lose that momentum once you get it. The last ten years of Nebraska football has driven this program too far into the realms of mediocrity. It's so so hard to climb back out when your competing against the SEC, U of Southern Cal, and traditional powers like Ohio State and Michigan. Then you look at all the teams that are rebuilding with new coaches and they are all flying right past us.

9 wins folks. 9. Get comfortable with that number. It's a good year. Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

On a side note. Carl Nicks doesn't even claim Nebraska on his gametime introduction. He says the name of the Junior College he went to. Talk about a slap in the face.

Let me make this easy for all of you. Did any of you watch this season? Okay, now remember this season. Now multiply that season times the next 2 seasons and WHAMMO! You now know what to expect for the next two years at Nebraska. Atleast the next two years. We'll see after that. As long as Bo continues to hire all his high school buddies for assistants, and Taylor Martinez is under center.........9 wins is what you get. Ohio State will beat us in their house. Michigan will take us behind the woodshed again. Wisconsin will still have a hell of a team and then you can expect to lose to somebody that you never dreamed we would lose to because this team clearly doesn't have the motivation or focus it takes to beat those sad ass teams into the dirt.

Expectations folks. They've got to change. Nebraska it not "The Nebraska" anymore. Colin Cowherd says it best. The days of these small town midwestern teams dominating is over. The fact that a University in Lincoln Nebraska was among the most dominant programs ever is absolutely miraculous. You can't lose that momentum once you get it. The last ten years of Nebraska football has driven this program too far into the realms of mediocrity. It's so so hard to climb back out when your competing against the SEC, U of Southern Cal, and traditional powers like Ohio State and Michigan. Then you look at all the teams that are rebuilding with new coaches and they are all flying right past us.

9 wins folks. 9. Get comfortable with that number. It's a good year. Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

On a side note. Carl Nicks doesn't even claim Nebraska on his gametime introduction. He says the name of the Junior College he went to. Talk about a slap in the face.

I thought the same thing. Last time he mentioned his HS. At least Dom, Kyle and SUH gave the shout out.

9 may be a little generous, i predict 8 for the next 2 years, .........9 if we make it to the godaddy.com bowl.

Yeah, I definitely don't disagree with you about anything that you said. I guess I tend to take the optimistic view on everything because I really do think that with just the right recipe, we have what it takes to be a contender. However, don't underestimate what Yoshi was to this football team. He was hurt all season long and still played pretty well. It sucks that he had those penalties in the bowl game, but that was just one of those all-around team implosions. Yoshi seemed like the vocal leader of the offense, and it seemed like his teammates loved him.

If Beck would call to the strength of the O he has, instead of the O he thinks we have we could be very good. Look at Rex, Reed/Cotton, Bell, JT, Quince etc.....Despite the drops, those are some talented kids. Beck just needs to design an offense around their strengths AND LIMITATIONS.

You are right about Yoshi, I am still ticked about the bowl game.

I agree.

Think about how this season would have looked if we had stayed in the Big XII. I think we could have dropped 5-6 for sure. I look at Ohio, Wisky, Michicken, hell even Oregon and realize that geographically they are in line with us. No real vacations draws ie beach, sun, Hollywood, South Beach etc..... I really think we still have name recognition on a national level and our facilities have to be in the top 10 nation wide. We should be able to compete with at least our conference for bodies and get "better" players than Boise, Oregon etc, but for some reason we do not. I have no idea why. Then if we do get some high profile kids, seems some never pan out.

I am starting to really look at the staff as the issue. Not getting the right kids, not getting them able to play well until year 3 (if at all), and even Raymond's comments about the lack of talent, playing walk-ons over scholarship kids etc........ Coupled with the play calling by Beck.

I think as a whole our D will be more athletic, from our young DTs to our upgraded LBer unit(as a whole). The DBs as a whole will be a year stronger(Raymond included), we lose Cassidy and Thorell(BUT there's still Blatchford). Time for Stafford to study some serious film and I personally hope Cooper steps up, otherwise I wouldn't mind Osborne taking over.

I agree Yoshi will be a loss, but if we get Peat all will be well. I'm no coach and this is all JMO.

I can't say I agree with you. Like a few people are saying all over this board, Taylor is not the problem on the offense. It's the line and the dropped balls. Saying that we can only win 9 games with Taylor at QB ignores the facts. Taylor had a very good game against Northwestern, probably his best passing game of the year. We still lost, not because of him. Taylor had a pretty good game against SC both running and passing as well. If not for all the penalties, dropped passes, and general miscues, that is a solid offensive performance against a very physical, athletic defense.

• Fire 1