Nittany @ Nebraska

Very nice win!! Another good shooting game. And hitting the free throws helped quite a bit too.

Congrats to Doc and the team. They looked like they were having some fun tonight.

But, (and not to take anything away from them)...............we played close to as well as we could and IF PSU hits anywhere close to their normal 3 point percentage (last time I looked at the scoreboard they were 2 for 20), this is a very close game. So I figure if we play our best and the team picked to finish LAST in the conference plays worse than normal, it may be false hope considering the next 3 games coming up.

Hope to be wrong, but I expect to be 1-7 a week from Saturday.

And, for those who were at the Bob or who watched it on BTN, ...............anyone else puzzled that when we attacked in an early offense we excelled, but then later we pulled back and passively threw it around the perimeter and committed a bunch of turnovers? Surprised that Doc wouldn't stay with what was working..............plus the crowd was into it and the players were having fun with the early attacking offense............ :huh:

Good energy and glad for the win. (It's actually warmer walking back to the car after a win!) However, my doc-coaching-sentiments can still be summed up in six words, "the bucket is that way guys." (apply liberally) Does doc host a camp on how not to break a press for cryin' out loud!?

Very nice win!! Another good shooting game. And hitting the free throws helped quite a bit too.

Congrats to Doc and the team. They looked like they were having some fun tonight.

But, (and not to take anything away from them)...............we played close to as well as we could and IF PSU hits anywhere close to their normal 3 point percentage (last time I looked at the scoreboard they were 2 for 20), this is a very close game. So I figure if we play our best and the team picked to finish LAST in the conference plays worse than normal, it may be false hope considering the next 3 games coming up.

Hope to be wrong, but I expect to be 1-7 a week from Saturday.

And, for those who were at the Bob or who watched it on BTN, ...............anyone else puzzled that when we attacked in an early offense we excelled, but then later we pulled back and passively threw it around the perimeter and committed a bunch of turnovers? Surprised that Doc wouldn't stay with what was working..............plus the crowd was into it and the players were having fun with the early attacking offense............ :huh:

Good energy and glad for the win. (It's actually warmer walking back to the car after a win!) However, my doc-coaching-sentiments can still be summed up in six words, "the bucket is that way guys." (apply liberally) Does doc host a camp on how not to break a press for cryin' out loud!?

We were saving it for later. You know, like what the football staff does.

A large part of the problem was Talley. You can tell he's still trying to get back his feel for the game. It's one thing for Diaz coming back after being out that long cause it's his third year, Talley missed a valuable stretch of season where it starts to click for most JUCO guys. He just gets a little rattled and unsure. I suspect he's seeing huge amounts of minutes in his first two games back because Doc knows he can get it turned back on pretty quickly. In the half court offense by the second half last night he was looking more comfortable but full court pressure was still throwing him.

A large part of the problem was Talley. You can tell he's still trying to get back his feel for the game. It's one thing for Diaz coming back after being out that long cause it's his third year, Talley missed a valuable stretch of season where it starts to click for most JUCO guys. He just gets a little rattled and unsure. I suspect he's seeing huge amounts of minutes in his first two games back because Doc knows he can get it turned back on pretty quickly. In the half court offense by the second half last night he was looking more comfortable but full court pressure was still throwing him.

I love Dillon (and understand his difficulties), but I have to very respectfully disagree... it's not just one player - outside of some intermittent individual effort (Tony, Dillon, the Brandons, and most-especially Bo) the overall 'scheme' by-and-large seems to be to completely ignore the fact that the basic idea is to push the friggin' ball up the floor and to put the ball in the friggin' basket. It's just most glaring when they need to break a full-court press.

It seems like our idea of what's s'posed to happen is to get a guy 'clear' near the half-court line... imho, we are just good enuf to 'force it' into the hoop all the time, in all circumstances. I think this could be a great running team if doc would just let them do it (!)

"We weren't patient enough." -doc

I love Dillon (and understand his difficulties), but I have to very respectfully disagree... it's not just one player - outside of some intermittent individual effort (Tony, Dillon, the Brandons, and most-especially Bo) the overall 'scheme' by-and-large seems to be to completely ignore the fact that the basic idea is to push the friggin' ball up the floor and to put the ball in the friggin' basket. It's just most glaring when they need to break a full-court press.

It seems like our idea of what's s'posed to happen is to get a guy 'clear' near the half-court line... imho, we are just good enuf to 'force it' into the hoop all the time, in all circumstances. I think this could be a great running team if doc would just let them do it (!)

"We weren't patient enough." -doc

I guess I wasn't real clear, I was only talking about the press break. They handled the press fine when it was Brandon and Bo bringing it up but that only happened a few times. Walker struggled some and Talley really struggled.

As for the offense as a whole I completely agree with you, Doc needs to try and avoid the B1G mold of slow, patient offense and run the damn court. It's their best chance. He made a bit of an excuse for not being able to do it because they needed all 5 to rebound defensively, but I dont buy that he completely believes that. It looked to me like they wanted to run a little more but in the second half played not to lose again. Maybe it's the optimistic fan in me, but I really think we're gonna see them start to push it more in the games to come. Maybe not in Madison because Wisconsin's sole objective is to stop teams from running, but after that I think we'll see them running.

since we're coaching here ...I just really think that all of our 'quick guys' would really show something if they were just 'turned loose'. It seems like they've been told that that's a bad thing.

I don't know.

Then you'll be seeing a street ball game if that happens. You need to play within the offense to a certain degree. With that said, there are ways to get our quick guys going. Pushing the ball and not letting the defense get set up. It seems like Doc likes to slow the game down a bit and rely on his defense to win. Also, penetration. I see very little penetration from this team. Its mostly passing the ball around the perimeter and then passing to Diaz in the post. I'd like to see this offense attack more and get the defense moving a bit, that is how you get open shots.

since we're coaching here ...I just really think that all of our 'quick guys' would really show something if they were just 'turned loose'. It seems like they've been told that that's a bad thing.

I don't know.

Then you'll be seeing a street ball game if that happens. You need to play within the offense to a certain degree. With that said, there are ways to get our quick guys going. Pushing the ball and not letting the defense get set up. It seems like Doc likes to slow the game down a bit and rely on his defense to win. Also, penetration. I see very little penetration from this team. Its mostly passing the ball around the perimeter and then passing to Diaz in the post. I'd like to see this offense attack more and get the defense moving a bit, that is how you get open shots.

I honestly think this team is at it's best when it is playing at a psuedo streetball pace.