Saban tells 2012 commit he can't sign him until 2013

One of Georgia’s top running backs said that was told by Alabama’s Nick Saban this weekend that he will have to wait until next year to sign with the Crimson Tide.

Justin Taylor of North Atlanta High School has been committed to Alabama for nearly a year, last February becoming the No. 7 pledge for this year’s class. The 5-foot-11, 208-pounder missed his senior season with a knee injury.

A couple of weeks ago, Taylor and his high school coach, former NFL RB Stanley Pritchett, both said they were informed by Alabama assistant Chris Rumph that it was likely that Taylor would not be able to sign with the Crimson Tide this February.

Alabama’s 2012 recruiting class is currently ranked as No. 1 in the nation by Rivals.com. Alabama has 27 commitments and is in the running for a few more elite prospects. The Crimson Tide is also accused of being one of the most frequent offenders in the practice of “over-signing” – which is when a college signs more players than they have scholarships available. (Click to go to website)

Continue Reading

This quote in that article, specifically in bold red, will raise NCAA's eyes. :huh:

What will do you do this fall? “He said I’m going to stay in Georgia. They are going to find me a job. I’m going to work. I’m going to physical therapy at least seven days per week. I guess I will work, go to physical therapy and get strong … I will come in with the class of 2013. I’ll get there with the early group so I can do winter workouts and spring football.”

So basically this kid has to delay his college experience to sign with the Fighting Nicks(He could say screw you Saban and sign with someone else). Saban is gonna do what he does, but as I said in another post, it is up to the recruits and their advisers to see what the recruit are getting themselves into. It also shows where, again, where the prospect and his advisement's mindset are. Justin says "I mean, I’m committed to them. They committed to me. They want me. I know they want me because that’s what they are telling me. If they didn’t want me, they wouldn’t let me keep my scholarship." Newsflash, you technically don't have a scholarship! As soon as they find someone better in the next class or he doesn't pan out he'll be on medical scholarship or asked to transfer. The article also says that Saban told him that he was the 26th commitment, yet he was one of the earliest commits of the class....Something shouldn't add up and I wouldn't trust what I was being promised.

I know he's drawn to the allure of winning championships and playing for them, not to mention what el$e might be going on, but he should have just signed with UGA and would be preparing to graduate and getting ready for college.

Well that didn't take long to find a loophole in the oversigning rule.

Doesn't go into effect until this summer....

They're just starting the practice early. ;)

Even more of a reason why this kid screwed himself over. I'd be willing to bet that Alabama doesn't extend a formal offer for 2013, maybe they do, but they'll be 'limited' on the LOIs they can take.

Well that didn't take long to find a loophole in the oversigning rule.

Doesn't go into effect until this summer....

They're just starting the practice early. ;)

Even more of a reason why this kid screwed himself over. I'd be willing to bet that Alabama doesn't extend a formal offer for 2013, maybe they do, but they'll be 'limited' on the LOIs they can take.

Read that again. Tricky Nicky signed a blank paper saying he'd give him a scholarship. Its not binding and cant be but it made the kid feel better.

Something doesn't make sense... why not just walk on for a year? Grayshirt? Medical hardship, something. This kid clearly just doesn't get that he's Plan B and always will be.
I think the are grey shirting him. The sh**ty thing is he was the seventh guy to commit in that class and he got hurt and then Nick waited until the last minute to tell him he didn't have room for him. Bama has 27 current commits and expects to get 3 to 4 more and they can only sign 25 guys this year.
  • 2 weeks later...
One of Georgia’s top running backs said that was told by Alabama’s Nick Saban this weekend that he will have to wait until next year to sign with the Crimson Tide.

Justin Taylor of North Atlanta High School has been committed to Alabama for nearly a year, last February becoming the No. 7 pledge for this year’s class. The 5-foot-11, 208-pounder missed his senior season with a knee injury.

A couple of weeks ago, Taylor and his high school coach, former NFL RB Stanley Pritchett, both said they were informed by Alabama assistant Chris Rumph that it was likely that Taylor would not be able to sign with the Crimson Tide this February.

Alabama’s 2012 recruiting class is currently ranked as No. 1 in the nation by Rivals.com. Alabama has 27 commitments and is in the running for a few more elite prospects. The Crimson Tide is also accused of being one of the most frequent offenders in the practice of “over-signing” – which is when a college signs more players than they have scholarships available. (Click to go to website)

Continue Reading

This quote in that article, specifically in bold red, will raise NCAA's eyes. :huh:

What will do you do this fall? “He said I’m going to stay in Georgia. They are going to find me a job. I’m going to work. I’m going to physical therapy at least seven days per week. I guess I will work, go to physical therapy and get strong … I will come in with the class of 2013. I’ll get there with the early group so I can do winter workouts and spring football.”

It's not illegal for them to get him a job. It may skirt the boundaries of ethical, but it's not illegal. Now if they pay him more than what is normal for the position, or pay him to sit around and do nothing then it becomes illegal.

Continue Reading

It's not illegal for them to get him a job. It may skirt the boundaries of ethical, but it's not illegal. Now if they pay him more than what is normal for the position, or pay him to sit around and do nothing then it becomes illegal.

NCAA bylaw 13.2.3.2

If you’re an athletics award winner, any department outside of intercollegiate athletics can hire you. One exception: you can be hired for college recreation programs only if intercollegiate coaches are not involved in hiring or supervising employees. Your employment must be arranged through the college’s normal employment procedures and cannot involve any members of the coaching staff. You must be compensated at the job’s going wage and for the actual work you do.