How good can we be with TM under center next year?

G0B1GRED

Nebraska will probably have 9-10 wins max based on nothing more than talent as long as Taylor is the starting QB. He just doesn't have the arm or mental ability to read and beat defenses.

I'm quite curious where you guys get the "Tmart doesn't have the mental ability to read & beat defenses". The crowd always sagely agree to it and move onwards but it's wayyyyyy over my head. I honestly didn't see that this year so help me please? What the heck it that based on? Anything factual at all?

Everything I've heard is just the opposite and that's precisely why he buried Carnes this year. Maybe that's all wrong and Beck & Bo are just stupid? As far as "beating" defenses it sure seems it would be glaringly obvious to even the most casual NU fan that our Oline stuffed with walk-on players had their problems beating many Dlines this year (duh!) & our wrs weren't exactly J. Rice or F. Biletnikoff catching the ball (just like last year.....and the year before) to say the very, very least. Do ya think that just might have something to do with it? At minimum I would think watching SuperRex breaking about 800 tackles behind the LOS this year might give a small clue? A very tiny clue maybe?

But it's really just Tmart being unable to read or beat a defense.....gotcha. Again, please help me with understanding that. Thank you, my kind sir.

Regarding Taylor Martinez:

1. Too often he will stare down his primary receiver.

2. If he has to throw the football more than 20 times a game he's good for at least one or two interceptions. In the Capitol One Bowl against South Carolina Taylor threw an interception as the first half was coming to a close. It was a pass that should never have been thrown because, simply put, the WR wasn't open.

3. He has not, to this point, demonstrated an effective ability to win a game throwing the ball.

In fairness to point #3 though I do wonder what Taylor would be like if our wide receivers could actually catch the ball.

I read this on another Husker site and I whole-heartedly agree: Taylor Martinez wouldn't start at QB for any other college football team. He's a WR trying to play QB.

Oklahoma State game last year.

That was definitely the high point. His injury threw off his footwork last year and of course he hasn't gotten the consistency of it down. I don't think he's recovered from his progress in his footwork since then. Plus, it's over a season ago now.

Okay then, How about the Northwestern game? I know we lost, but Taylor completed 28/37 passes for 289 yards and 2 TDs and no picks. On top of that, he carried the ball 12 times for 53 yards.

Taylor did everything in his power to win that football game for us, but the defense and the O-Line layed an enormous freakin' egg that day. Even Rex had that fumble in the red zone that cost us points.

That was definitely the high point. His injury threw off his footwork last year and of course he hasn't gotten the consistency of it down. I don't think he's recovered from his progress in his footwork since then. Plus, it's over a season ago now.

I think the best game Taylor had throwing the ball was Northwestern. Sure, we didn't win the game, but one guy can only do so much. I mentioned this in a PM yesterday, I wonder how much his progression was set back by being injured. It's hard to work on your footwork with a bum ankle on one leg and turf toe on the other. It will be interesting to see if he makes any progress this offseason. I think he can, I think he's shown he can throw with good mechanics, but like you said he's just not consistent. His throwing motion looks different almost every time.

I think the best game Taylor had throwing the ball was Northwestern. Sure, we didn't win the game, but one guy can only do so much. I mentioned this in a PM yesterday, I wonder how much his progression was set back by being injured. It's hard to work on your footwork with a bum ankle on one leg and turf toe on the other. It will be interesting to see if he makes any progress this offseason. I think he can, I think he's shown he can throw with good mechanics, but like you said he's just not consistent. His throwing motion looks different almost every time.

Agree.

This thread, and conversation, is so myopic. It's shameful that the collective understanding of the game being displayed here boils down to "We lost games, let's change quarterbacks."

Put Andrew Luck behind this line and we still lose to Michgan, Wisconsin and Northwestern. Most likely to South Carolina, too.

This thread, and conversation, is so myopic. It's shameful that the collective understanding of the game being displayed here boils down to "We lost games, let's change quarterbacks."

Put Andrew Luck behind this line and we still lose to Michgan, Wisconsin and Northwestern. Most likely to South Carolina, too.

I have said before, the QB is the "face" of the program and will get all the blame. It is really a whole lot of crap that needs to get fixed. For me, it involves the staff and their inexperience to lack of depth/development, poor execution (penalties, missed tackles, blown assignments, dropped passes etc) perceived talent gap, complicated scheme, new league etc......

The list could go on, but the staff really needs to point the thumb. If players are not executing, then it is the staff's job to get them to or find kids that can. I would love to see them implement a system that would allow true fresh to compete and actually get some playing time. Instill the mentality of playing to win instead of playing to not lose. If we are ahead, get the back ups in. If we have a phenom kid who can't get the whole system, give him a few plays to get in the game.

I have said before, the QB is the "face" of the program and will get all the blame. It is really a whole lot of crap that needs to get fixed. For me, it involves the staff and their inexperience to lack of depth/development, poor execution (penalties, missed tackles, blown assignments, dropped passes etc) perceived talent gap, complicated scheme, new league etc......

The list could go on, but the staff really needs to point the thumb. If players are not executing, then it is the staff's job to get them to or find kids that can. I would love to see them implement a system that would allow true fresh to compete and actually get some playing time. Instill the mentality of playing to win instead of playing to not lose. If we are ahead, get the back ups in. If we have a phenom kid who can't get the whole system, give him a few plays to get in the game.

On the bolded part..... I get what you're saying, but I just don't see that as being the coaches' fault. You can coach a lot of things but when gametime comes and crap like this happens, how do you blame the coaches and not the ones who are actually the ones making the mistakes?...

spot on knapplc, I think it is time to blame the person responsible for Taylor playing the position, his lack of development and the possibility of someone else being able to play the position. I am sick of hearing how bad this kid is. He is the best we have, or we have an idiot for a head coach. Quit beating the kid up, quit throwing him under the bus, BLAME THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS PLAY AND DEVELOPMENT!!

I think the kid has made tremendous progress, I do not think he has totally healed from last years injuries, either physically or mentally. The kid has given all he has, nothing less, nothing more. He is a Husker and I am glad he has done the job he has and continues to do in spite of the crap his loyal, best fans in college football throw on him.

• Fire 1

I think if you're man enough to stand up and say, "I'm going to make it my mission to prove this man wrong" then yes, it is motivation.

But if the players are gonna be pusses and cry about how the comment hurt their feelings, then they don't need to be on the field in the first place.

MAN UP!!!

How much manning up do you see on the field during the games? I have every game on DVR. I watched them all and can't see 1 single time where a player on this team grabs another player by the facemask and tells them to "man up". Other than Lavonte David, it didn't look to me like anyone else out there was ready to take this team on their shoulders. You could say Burkhead carried the other side of the ball, but I didn't see once that those guys displayed the vocal leadership on the field. I didn't see a team that rallied around each other. Neither side of the ball seemed to feed off each other's energy. Taylor Martinez sure as hell doesn't open his mouth out there. This lead by example stuff is great, but sometimes it takes more than that. Grant Wistrom, Tommie Frazier, and the Peter Bros' could all say a thing or two about that. Broderick Thomas, Trev Alberts..so on so forth. Those teams weren't just great for no reason. Those guys fought hard for each other, and held each other to a high level. I don't see it on Bo's teams. They answer to Bo and that's it. What about answering to each other? These guys are supposed to be brothers? Where is the brotherhood?

LOL. you kill me.

No, these people kill all of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=286UlugVW40&feature=related

No these people had nothing to do with your entertaining post. LOL

But I will agree NOT good.

On the bolded part..... I get what you're saying, but I just don't see that as being the coaches' fault. You can coach a lot of things but when gametime comes and crap like this happens, how do you blame the coaches and not the ones who are actually the ones making the mistakes?...

I agree. you can only teach a player so much then it his responsibility to take what he's learned and apply it. It's not always the coaches fault.

Experience has a lot to do on how they play also.

spot on knapplc, I think it is time to blame the person responsible for Taylor playing the position, his lack of development and the possibility of someone else being able to play the position. I am sick of hearing how bad this kid is. He is the best we have, or we have an idiot for a head coach. Quit beating the kid up, quit throwing him under the bus, BLAME THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS PLAY AND DEVELOPMENT!!

I think the kid has made tremendous progress, I do not think he has totally healed from last years injuries, either physically or mentally. The kid has given all he has, nothing less, nothing more. He is a Husker and I am glad he has done the job he has and continues to do in spite of the crap his loyal, best fans in college football throw on him.

Well then stop giving him sh#t all the time.

I never knock on taylor or any of the players. We have coaching problems, period. Talent problems are normal at every program, that is the reason Bama does not win the MNC every year or anyone else.

Our head coach needs to realize he can not do everything himself, the major failure for new management personel. He needs help, it is a question as to whether he has added help or will be training them as well as every other coach and player on the staff, a good coach, but not an experienced head coach. He is learning, but the obstacles he places in front of himself do not help the program grow as quickly as it might.

The kids are never to blame as far as I am concerned. I know there are exceptions, but I do not think so on this team.

Well True I think you have a much higher ranking than I do on the Ahole club.

Again it goes back to coaching. If the head coach does not give all a fair shot, that is the way it is. If he does not think Taylor is doing the job and continues to put him a no win situation, that again is on the head coach.

I have no idea if Carnes is the answer, but he will never play until Bo says he does, same with Taylor he will be the starter until Bo decides he is not. None of the players have any control over play time. They only do the best they can, and hope that is their best is good enough to play at Nebraska.

Continual harping on the kids about their abilities is a waste of time. Go to the source and that is where the problem lies if there is a problem.

I think Taylor is doing an adequate job, with the surrounding players. Better surrounding players, Oline, WR's, a back for a break to see the field during a game, more back up running backs to keep Rex fresh. A far better D, which is the center piece of Bo's expertise would make a big difference.

We have been let down by coaching more so than any player on the field. If you do not see that, and want to continue bashing 18-22 year old kids for doing the best they can, continue. But from one Ahole to another, if you have to hate, put it in the right place. The kids talent is not the problem with this team. It is the proper use of that talent that is the base problem. Hopefully that will get better as all learn their jobs and limits. Bo has the most to learn on limits. Good guy, just trying to do to much.