New Recruiting Methods

We are faced with replacing JP with a new Recruiting coordinator. I hope we change our approach drastically. Solich could not recruit and won 7,8,9 games a year. Got fired. Callahan could recruit very well and some of his players turned out very good but he could not coach and won 5 to 8 games a year....Barely. Fired. Pelini doesnt seem to be a great recruiter at all. Better than solich but only just. He wins 9-10 games a year. We need to get those extra 4-5 guys that are game changers in each class. Not struggle to fill a class with 17 recruits and have 5 of them be unrated diamond in the rough hopefuls. I hope the new RC figures out a way to go get top guys interested in Nebrasaka again so Pelini can do his thing.

not sure if we are 4-5 guys away...maybe 1-2. we aren't there yet though I'll agree w/ you there.

one thing that i've noticed is that a good portion of these guys commiting mention how much Pelini stresses academics. I'm sure i'm going to get some heat for this, but while that is a great sales pitch for a number of recruits (Stanford obviously used it well)...I think a large portion of these top-250 type of "difference makers" care about 1 thing: "how can you get me to the NFL". Thats why guys like Kiffin/Saban so easily land the top talent...they sell that pathway - and academics are merely a speedbump on that path.

I think in certain instances Pelini is just going to have to accept the fact that XYZ recruit could care less about making a 3.0GPA...and he likely won't be here for a full 4 years because he's packing his things and heading to the NFL early. Should we fill the class up with guys like that? Heck no, but you'd have to think that guys like DGB are not exactly putting academics as their top priority. In fact almost every one of these guys signing w/ an SEC team are obviously not holding academics in very high regards.

We aren't Stanford - academics is as much a liability as it is a tool for us.

not sure if we are 4-5 guys away...maybe 1-2. we aren't there yet though I'll agree w/ you there.

one thing that i've noticed is that a good portion of these guys commiting mention how much Pelini stresses academics. I'm sure i'm going to get some heat for this, but while that is a great sales pitch for a number of recruits (Stanford obviously used it well)...I think a large portion of these top-250 type of "difference makers" care about 1 thing: "how can you get me to the NFL". Thats why guys like Kiffin/Saban so easily land the top talent...they sell that pathway - and academics are merely a speedbump on that path.

I think in certain instances Pelini is just going to have to accept the fact that XYZ recruit could care less about making a 3.0GPA...and he likely won't be here for a full 4 years because he's packing his things and heading to the NFL early. Should we fill the class up with guys like that? Heck no, but you'd have to think that guys like DGB are not exactly putting academics as their top priority. In fact almost every one of these guys signing w/ an SEC team are obviously not holding academics in very high regards.

We aren't Stanford - academics is as much a liability as it is a tool for us.

Or it might just be the fact that our reporters ask questions about how they feel about academics since we hold the record for Academic All Americans. Even if its not I'm not sure I want the guys that are just in it for the pathway. They tend to be selfish and worry about their stats more than how the team does. I don't want to go back to that line of thinking.

I agree with what you said actually. It's the society we live in and most kids have dreams of riches and stardom that the NFL brings. On the otherhand, Pelini is a foundational type of thinker and is really big on establishing a strong steady culture, something we lacked in the last regime. He won't sell his soul or mislead young men into false dreams(which is a whole other topic) just to get them on campus, he will not do it, and that is something what made/makes Nebraska special. When anyone listens to all of our recruits, they'll all mention that they want to come in and "Compete", and this creates a more cohesive, team atmosphere.

Osbourne had his share of thugs/academic question marks. They were often the "difference makers" too. I'm not saying we need to fill the team w/ them...but it makes me wonder if we don't sometimes pass on someone that could put us closer to a championship because his priorities are a little out of wack. These guys have all been stars/celebrities. Us trying to humble them before they've even signed likely pushes plenty away. It's an unpopular theory I'm sure...

Osbourne had his share of thugs/academic question marks. They were often the "difference makers" too. I'm not saying we need to fill the team w/ them...but it makes me wonder if we don't sometimes pass on someone that could put us closer to a championship because his priorities are a little out of wack. These guys have all been stars/celebrities. Us trying to humble them before they've even signed likely pushes plenty away. It's an unpopular theory I'm sure...

I hear you and that there is probably no clear cut answer for this. I really do feel our brand will benefit from winning though, but what program wouldn't.

We are faced with replacing JP with a new Recruiting coordinator. I hope we change our approach drastically. Solich could not recruit and won 7,8,9 games a year. Got fired. Callahan could recruit very well and some of his players turned out very good but he could not coach and won 5 to 8 games a year....Barely. Fired. Pelini doesnt seem to be a great recruiter at all. Better than solich but only just. He wins 9-10 games a year. We need to get those extra 4-5 guys that are game changers in each class. Not struggle to fill a class with 17 recruits and have 5 of them be unrated diamond in the rough hopefuls. I hope the new RC figures out a way to go get top guys interested in Nebrasaka again so Pelini can do his thing.

Well there's 30 seconds I'll never get back...

• Fire 2

solich had one (1) season in which he won less than 9 games. he won 58 games in 6 years (59 if you include the bowl game his staff coached for him). he did indeed have some issues with recruiting though, primarily an aging coaching staff that got a bit complacent along with some bad luck at QB and OL. i also don't know how you claim that callahan could recruit very well but bo isn't a great recruiter at all. it isn't true based upon "stars" or on field results. pelini has recruited quite well to NU. we all want it to be better and we all want recruiting classes dripping with stars, but considering our location and our refusal to cheat, you're just going to have to accept that we're unlikely to have top 5 recruiting classes on a regular basis, unless or until we start winning national titles again. i agree that we've been a few players away (though i don't think it's 4-5 players per class, more like total), but we've been competing at a pretty high level for the last few years for the most part. a few strange bounces (and sexual assault from big 12 referees) have made it seem worse than it is. we'll be fine.

:facepalm:

• Fire 1

Well there's 30 seconds I'll never get back...

Speed readers!