O-line

So who do you guys see starting next year?

Both our starting OT's are gone. I would have to agree with The Dude above and say that Arod and Chio are our starting guards and Long mans the center position, unless Reeves really practices with his hair lit on fire between now and Southern Miss next September.

The trickier part would be the tackles. One would think Ty Moore would take one spot, since he played this year and even pushed to start before Marcel and Yoshi settled in. The other tackle spot I would see being contested. Qvale is massive but apparently doesn't have the feet to play tackle. Sirles started all of last year. I would think he would be it. Sterup and Mike Moudy are also tackles, I believe.

So does our starting line next year look like this:

Moore, Arod, Long, Choi, Sirles

??? I'm curious to see how things play out next year. With the influx of talent we're going to be getting, it will be REALLY interesting to see if that is indeed the 1st string and what the two deep looks like.

I don't see how Pensick isn't the guy at center. He's the only other player to see playing time there as far as I can remember.

They've apparently been practicing Long there since Caputo got his DUI to prepare for the bowl game if Caputo couldn't end up going.

Pensick has been the backup for Caputo for what amounts to two years now though. And he did come in a couple times this year when Mike got banged up.

Very interesting though... Do they go with the backup or slide a guard who's started a full season over. I also realize I forgot to mention Jake Cotton above^^^ Should factor in at guard.

Our OLine has been a problem for a lot longer than Pelini has been here - unless you go back to his 2003 season as DC and then you'd probably be getting close. I thought last year's class was the best one we'd had in awhile but obviously we haven't seen a lot of it yet. The two guys we got today look like a solid continuation but getting Peat or another sold recruit would have even been better. However, those seven should set us up fairly nicely for the next four years or so.

I finally thought our OLine was turning the corner early in the year even though it was against lesser competition. We slid back for a couple games but I thought we finished strong so that gives me hope that we're headed in the right direction.

If you've got a really good OLine, you can do about whatever you want with the other six guys on the field.

I don't see how Pensick isn't the guy at center. He's the only other player to see playing time there as far as I can remember.

They've apparently been practicing Long there since Caputo got his DUI to prepare for the bowl game if Caputo couldn't end up going.

Pensick has been the backup for Caputo for what amounts to two years now though. And he did come in a couple times this year when Mike got banged up.

Very interesting though... Do they go with the backup or slide a guard who's started a full season over. I also realize I forgot to mention Jake Cotton above^^^ Should factor in at guard.

I've been hoping Reeves would deliver on they hype early and step right in to anchor the Pipeline for four years but that doesn't look too likely now. With how good he looked this year and how smart he apparently is, I could definitely see Long slide over and man that spot for the next couple years.

If you've got a really good OLine, you can do about whatever you want with the other six guys on the field.

Exactly. Great line play makes up for a lot of deficiencies at other positions. So goes the offensive line, so goes the team.

I pose a few of questions, though. First, with the amount of talent coming back this year, what should we expect? In conjunction, what should we expect in 2013, and what kind of standards do we hold Cotton to during that time?

Second, I thought the line played better this year than they did in '09 and '10, but do we attribute that to the new coaches helping out, the talent or Cotton?

Third, if we do not have a consistently above average line by the end of next year, is it time for Cotton to go, or does he deserve 2013 with the vasts amount of talent we will have returning? This, of course, is given that everything stays the same and players don't leave.

Incoming freshmen: Cory Whitaker and Paul Thurston

RS Freshmen: Givens-Price, Ryan Klachko, Ryan Reeves and Zach Sterup

Sophmore: Tyler Moore and Mike Moudy

Junior: Jerimiah Sirles, Andrew Rodriguez, Brent Qvale, Nick Ash

Senior: All walk ons(correct me if im wrong)

Those are our scholarship recruits, didnt include walk-ons. If i forgot anybody, please include them.

This unit(the OL) thus far in Pelinis HC career, has been the biggest weeknes IMO. The talent is there, it just needs to be worked and molded into one cohesive unit.

Lets rebuild the pipeline!

Disclaimer.....all this was extremely easy for me to type.....Im not a coach and dont claim to be......GBR!

what is the story with him? I have heard several times he might be leaving....anyone know if their is any truth to this

anybody?

Incoming freshmen: Cory Whitaker and Paul Thurston

RS Freshmen: Givens-Price, Ryan Klachko, Ryan Reeves and Zach Sterup

Sophmore: Tyler Moore and Mike Moudy

Junior: Jerimiah Sirles, Andrew Rodriguez, Brent Qvale, Nick Ash

Senior: All walk ons(correct me if im wrong)

Those are our scholarship recruits, didnt include walk-ons. If i forgot anybody, please include them.

This unit(the OL) thus far in Pelinis HC career, has been the biggest weeknes IMO. The talent is there, it just needs to be worked and molded into one cohesive unit.

Lets rebuild the pipeline!

Disclaimer.....all this was extremely easy for me to type.....Im not a coach and dont claim to be......GBR!

what is the story with him? I have heard several times he might be leaving....anyone know if their is any truth to this

anybody?

I hadnt heard this.