NU survives late Notre Dame bid for Westerkamp

Nexus

Bo Pelini had his jaw set, voice rising. That look.

"Notre Dame's got nothing on us," he said to Jordan Westerkamp.

By all accounts, Pelini is a low-pressure recruiter. And throughout Nebraska's courting of the most prolific receiver in Illinois state history, he'd been just that. But on the night of Dec. 15, as Westerkamp chewed on whether to visit the Fighting Irish, Pelini was animated in Westerkamp's house.

"It was the head coach coming out in him," said Jordan's mother, Kim. "Which is good."

Pelini brought allies. Offensive coordinator Tim Beck. Receivers coach Rich Fisher. And offensive line coach John Garrison, who'd handled Jordan Westerkamp's recruitment.

This was Garrison's guy since he'd taken the assistant job — especially since Jordan's May 2011 commitment to NU.

Continue Reading

"Beck told me where the offense is going — and how they're going to institute throwing the ball a lot more," Jordan said. "And where I can fit in — I can play all over the field. X, Z, whatever. Inside or outside. It was a great opportunity. Everything Coach Beck and I talked about made me feel more comfortable."

As much as I defend Martinez from undeserved/unbased criticism, that scares me a little bit. But with a guy like Westerkamp, you can't just leave him to block all day long.

"Beck told me where the offense is going — and how they're going to institute throwing the ball a lot more," Jordan said. "And where I can fit in — I can play all over the field. X, Z, whatever. Inside or outside. It was a great opportunity. Everything Coach Beck and I talked about made me feel more comfortable."

As much as I defend Martinez from undeserved/unbased criticism, that scares me a little bit. But with a guy like Westerkamp, you can't just leave him to block all day long.

Maybe it means Martinez is getting much better at passing or his days are numbered if he doesn't shape up somewhat

Maybe it means Martinez is getting much better at passing or his days are numbered if he doesn't shape up somewhat

Martinez isn't a good *looking* passer. By any means. But he had a lot of catchable passes dropped by receivers. A LOT. The ball was there--our guys just failed to pull it in. Let's hope Mr. Westerkamp helps us out in this regard. The guy is supposed to have glue fingers.

This. But even if Taylor does start the next 2 years (which I think he will), if JW redshirts in 2012 he will only have 1 year of catching passes from Taylor. Then hopefully we can see the Armstrong-to-Westerkamp connection for 3 years, with Cross pounding the rock. That sounds to me like a scary offense.

Martinez isn't a good *looking* passer. By any means. But he had a lot of catchable passes dropped by receivers. A LOT. The ball was there--our guys just failed to pull it in. Let's hope Mr. Westerkamp helps us out in this regard. The guy is supposed to have glue fingers.

Oh I know. I'm one of the first to mention the drops when someone is knocking our passing game. We have issues in that department that go a lot of different directions: QB, WR drops, protection from the O-line, etc.

This. But even if Taylor does start the next 2 years (which I think he will), if JW redshirts in 2012 he will only have 1 year of catching passes from Taylor. Then hopefully we can see the Armstrong-to-Westerkamp connection for 3 years, with Cross pounding the rock. That sounds to me like a scary offense.

I am definitely liking Cross in our recruiting class. We need that physical presence in the backfield at times.

Let's hope the glue doesn't fall off the moment he walks on campus. Liked his interview on Sports Nightly, can't wait to see the kid in action.

Let's hope the glue doesn't fall off the moment he walks on campus. Liked his interview on Sports Nightly, can't wait to see the kid in action.

The thing I can't get past with Martinez is when we get in 3rd and long I am always worried he is going to throw a pick. I would say is most effective passing plays are when the defense bites on a run fake and we go deep. His intermediate passing game isn't that good. Hopefully he can improve next year.

Might sound a little gay ... but when I read the article and got to the end and read this ... it brought a tear to my eye. I guess for me that once your heart beats "red" ... you get it!

"Later, around midnight, Jordan came to ask Kim a question.

Mom, he said, would you be mad if I picked Nebraska?

I'll be mad if you don't make your own decision, she answered. So go with your heart.

Monday, Jordan went on Twitter, typed "GBR" and settled it."

• Fire 1