Running Back for 2013

walksalone

It is nice to know that we won't be facing...

A) Keith Price

B) Russel Wilson

C) Kirk Cousins (even though we owned him)

D) Dan Persa

Unforunately we'll likely see a better Braxton Miller for the entire game, and a better Robinson. But the Wisconsin, Northwestern and Michigan State games should be much easier on our defense. I'm worried about Arkansas State - though I'm probably the only one. Early game, 3rd of the season, week after traveling east to play a re-energized UCLA team. We seem to always lay an egg early. V-Tech, S. Dakota State, Fresno. This is my sleeper.

A) Keith Price

B) Russel Wilson

D) Dan Persa

Unforunately we'll likely see a better Braxton Miller for the entire game, and a better Robinson. But the Wisconsin, Northwestern and Michigan State games should be much easier on our defense. I'm worried about Arkansas State - though I'm probably the only one. Early game, 3rd of the season, week after traveling east to play a re-energized UCLA team. We seem to always lay an egg early. V-Tech, S. Dakota State, Fresno. This is my sleeper.

That's also a good point.

Price was excellent.

Wisconsin lost a LOT of talent and their OC.

Persa did what Persa does.

That makes me feel better. Seriously. :)

The reason I say the defense will be better in 2012 is because it was very average or below average for all but a couple games in 2011, and there's no way it is any worse than it was in 2011.

That's very shaky logic. The defense was average or below average in 2011 . . . we lost our 3 best players . . . and there is no way that it is worse this year? That's hope . . . not reason.

I'll have whatever you're having.

Forget about replacing Crick, David, and Dennard, I'm more worried about who will be replacing the three greatest players in Cassidy, Thorell, and Blatchford. :sarcasm

The reason I say the defense will be better in 2012 is because it was very average or below average for all but a couple games in 2011, and there's no way it is any worse than it was in 2011.

That's very shaky logic. The defense was average or below average in 2011 . . . we lost our 3 best players . . . and there is no way that it is worse this year? That's hope . . . not reason.

What I'm saying is we had a young team last year that was learning to play together as a unit, while having to face an entirely different style of play week in and week out than we ever did in the Big12. Yes, we lose David and Dennard, but like I said, Crick's injury had zero effect on the D-Line's performance.

Going into next season, we have ten times the experience on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. We need one or two of the incoming guys to step up at LB to add to Compton and Whaley (Anderson, Santos, Rose, Afalava, Brown) and one or two guys to step up at CB (Seisay, C. Jackson, Bell, Evans, SJB).

Teams go through transition from great players all the time. All it takes is a couple of guys to step up and fill their shoes, and we pick up where they left off.

A) Keith Price

B) Russel Wilson

D) Dan Persa

Don't forget about Kain Colter, he did way more to hurt us in that game than Persa did. To add he is exactly the kind of QB that gives our style of defense fits.

What I'm saying is we had a young team last year that was learning to play together as a unit, while having to face an entirely different style of play week in and week out than we ever did in the Big12. Yes, we lose David and Dennard, but like I said, Crick's injury had zero effect on the D-Line's performance.

Going into next season, we have ten times the experience on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. We need one or two of the incoming guys to step up at LB to add to Compton and Whaley (Anderson, Santos, Rose, Afalava, Brown) and one or two guys to step up at CB (Seisay, C. Jackson, Bell, Evans, SJB).

Teams go through transition from great players all the time. All it takes is a couple of guys to step up and fill their shoes, and we pick up where they left off.

what about heard?

A) Keith Price

B) Russel Wilson

D) Dan Persa

Don't forget about Kain Colter, he did way more to hurt us in that game than Persa did. To add he is exactly the kind of QB that gives our style of defense fits.

Definitely. Dual threats (with a few exceptions) look like the best way to attack Pelini's scheme.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Here's how I see it:

DL - roughly the same level of talent or slightly less.

LB - big step backwards.

CB - big step backwards.

S - roughly the same. (Arguably more athletic, but less experience.)

My guess: Slightly worse to worse overall on defense.

Offense . . . well that's a different animal. I feel surprisingly OK about the offense. Even better than OK if (big if!) we can quit putting the ball on the turf.

We'll see who is right over the next year. Here's hoping it's you.

Definitely. Dual threats (with a few exceptions) look like the best way to attack Pelini's scheme.

Kain Colter was just a sophomore. He'll be back next year. Or do you mean Northwestern won't be any easier on our defense? I still think they will be w/ Coulter. I believe we know what we're getting going into that game with Coulter under center. We weren't prepared for the 1-2 punch of Persa/Coulter last year. If Pelini can swallow some pride and stack the box against Northwestern (same way every defense beats us) we'll beat em by 3 TDs. If he rushes 4 on "contain" all game, Coulter will have 110+ yards rushing, and we'll be lucky to get out of there with any kind of win.

To add, Coulter is a very similar QB to Arkansas States. They are going to cause us fits.

Here's how I see it:

LB - big step backwards.

CB - big step backwards.

Offense . . . well that's a different animal. I feel surprisingly OK about the offense. Even better than OK if (big if!) we can quit putting the ball on the turf.

I could see it playing out like that as well. I don't think either shark or myself are saying we'll have a top 10 defense next year. and you aren't saying they'll be in the 80s. If they were 47 last year, I see them falling in at around 40 this year. It could definately go either way though. Maybe 55-60 just as easily depending on how a few of these guys we are counting on pan out...as well as injuries.

Honestly, it will be nice to see the defense under the microscope a little more next year. I'm tired of watching the offense every year hoping for a spark, or some sort of consistency. We've taken the defense for granted for the last 4 years and unloaded on the offense this whole time. Now, either I've accepted the offense's ineptitude, or I'm confident enough in their experience/tallent that I don't think Beck can screw it up too bad. Not sure which, but it's definately one of those two.

• Fire 1

Here's how I see it:

LB - big step backwards.

CB - big step backwards.

I could see it playing out like that as well. I don't think either shark or myself are saying we'll have a top 10 defense next year. and you aren't saying they'll be in the 80s. If they were 47 last year, I see them falling in at around 40 this year. It could definately go either way though. Maybe 55-60 just as easily depending on how a few of these guys we are counting on pan out...as well as injuries.

Honestly, it will be nice to see the defense under the microscope a little more next year. I'm tired of watching the offense every year hoping for a spark, or some sort of consistency. We've taken the defense for granted for the last 4 years and unloaded on the offense this whole time. Now, either I've accepted the offense's ineptitude, or I'm confident enough in their experience/tallent that I don't think Beck can screw it up too bad. Not sure which, but it's definately one of those two.

+1. Excellent post and agreed.

Kain Colter was just a sophomore. He'll be back next year. Or do you mean Northwestern won't be any easier on our defense? I still think they will be w/ Coulter. I believe we know what we're getting going into that game with Coulter under center. We weren't prepared for the 1-2 punch of Persa/Coulter last year. If Pelini can swallow some pride and stack the box against Northwestern (same way every defense beats us) we'll beat em by 3 TDs. If he rushes 4 on "contain" all game, Coulter will have 110+ yards rushing, and we'll be lucky to get out of there with any kind of win.

To add, Coulter is a very similar QB to Arkansas States. They are going to cause us fits.

I meant NW won't be any easier even though they lose Persa.

Anything is possible and the O could be worse BUT I think Moore will be better than both Hardrick or Jones at LT. Jones was decent but was good for a false start or two a game with health issues. Hardrick, decent but just that, wish he had more than two years to develop. Caputo will the one that will be missed the most imo. His technique was very good plus he had heart, however there were times where his less than ideal size would be a liability, allowing his to get pushed around at times.

Here's how I see it:

LB - big step backwards.

CB - big step backwards.

I'm not surprised that you disagree with me because it seems that you will always disagree with me, whether it be about football or religion. All it will take is for 2 people to step up and take the spots of Dennard and David, and if they can do an average to above average job, the defense will be a much improved unit from last season. That's IF we can find 2 guys. If that happens, you will be proved wrong big-time. That's my prediction.

You can put what I'm saying in the back of your head and refer back to it later. IF Dennard and David's spots get filled with two guys who know their assignments and are decent players, this will be a much-improved defense over the 2011 version.