Running Back for 2013

walksalone

the talent level that nebraska had in the mid 90's was amazing nebraska didn't have to mix up the play calling a great deal because the teams back then were just that much better than everybody, chances are nebraska will never have that kind of talent again. our #2s back then were better then most teams starters. but alot of things have changed since then. for one the talent level has evened out through out all the teams in major college football for the most part, largely because the media coverage that these kids can get now if they are a big fish in a small pond so to speak. another thing that has changed since the 90's is that nebraska had its worst era in the programs illustrious history under billy c. Bo has done a pretty good job in bringing this program back into the national light, and i think in time Bo will have this program as a serious conference champ, and MNC contender.

so what i guess im getting at is that until we can get to the point that bo has the program a serious contender every year again and draw in better recruits and we can get more consistent o-line play beck is going to have to try everything he can to keep defenses unbalanced

I think the team showed in 2011 that if the guys execute and do a good job of blocking, we can pound the rock as much as we want. The times when we failed at running the ball were when the O-Line couldn't block anybody (Northwestern).

my concern is what do we do when we run out of Rex? we had Helu and Rex........now all we have is Rex and Rex...someone better step up and damn big this season or next year will be really tough!

Exactly. Someone needs to step it up and make the most out of their carries this season. I couldn't care less who it is, I just want someone to run hard and hold onto the ball.

my concern is what do we do when we run out of Rex? we had Helu and Rex........now all we have is Rex and Rex...someone better step up and damn big this season or next year will be really tough!

Exactly. Someone needs to step it up and make the most out of their carries this season. I couldn't care less who it is, I just want someone to run hard and hold onto the ball.

Makes me think I should've added a poll with this...

I don't think the "young" guns were given a fair chance to prove anything at game time. Except for a couple of diamond formations, Green barely seen the field, except from the sidelines. I am hoping that we (our coaches) choose a 2nd stringer and give him the rock for at least a series at a time. Not the occasional carry. There is no way to get your feet under you, no way to get that feel for the game.

Skimming through the thread, I'm amused that - once again - everything gets back to Martinez in one way or another.

I don't like running back by committee. Burkhead is first, find a second and the others ride the bench, save the occasional carry. I don't have a problem with Burkhead getting 25 carries a game - in fact, I think he needs those. But, someone else should be getting 10-15 carries on average, and before garbage time.

Skimming through the thread, I'm amused that - once again - everything gets back to Martinez in one way or another.

I don't like running back by committee. Burkhead is first, find a second and the others ride the bench, save the occasional carry. I don't have a problem with Burkhead getting 25 carries a game - in fact, I think he needs those. But, someone else should be getting 10-15 carries on average, and before garbage time.

Absolutely agree with this.

2nd that...

I'm just hoping that they try to start figuring this out during spring ball and not waiting until the end of August '13. We all know this offense is predicated by the running game. We need to have a definitive choice at RB, because if we don't, then it won't matter how good our QB is running with the ball.

2nd that...

I'm just hoping that they try to start figuring this out during spring ball and not waiting until the end of August '13. We all know this offense is predicated by the running game. We need to have a definitive choice at RB, because if we don't, then it won't matter how good our QB is running with the ball.

3rd that.....

SRex and a backup "must" have success running the ball this year or we're in deep, deep doo-doo.

There is just little to no way Cross will be able to be a featured back. He's a situational back. The kid could be a beast though. I see him playing at 250lbs, in that role Jorvorskie Lane played for A&M 5 years ago. 10 carries a game...but likely lead the team in TDs. Never again will Beck pass on 3rd and 3. We go for it on 4th and 1 90% of the time. That will be Cross's bread and butter. We need someone else to play the rest of the game though.