Who's going to be our new "tex-A$$"

gin_32

Agree. That's some good stuff. The stomach flu may or may not have been coincidence, but the rest are definitely shady. One other one that I can think of was during the Callahan era when we were up by 2 or 3 TDs and then Jamal Charles ran for like 300 yards in the 4th quarter to beat us.... Cosgrove never could make in-game adjustments. Just one of his MANY horrible traits as a coach.

Also correct. Wisconsin = Colorado (without a NC) and I have the proof!!!

Colorado's fan base made Colorado what it is.

Wisconsin is not Colorado.

Based on my analysis, Wisconsin will have a few 4 or 5 loss seasons.... followed by a coaching change.

Does that analysis also hold for the Huskers?

I think that's the main reason Wisconsin is being compared to Colorado sometimes. Have you seen their students at the game? It's very Colorado like.

And since we've had 4 straight 4 loss seasons I'd say it doesn't hold true, and I find it impossible to believe Wisconsin would fire Brett w/ a 4 or 5 loss season. Couple 6 loss seasons in a row...maybe. But that holds true for almost every BCS team.

My have our standards dropped... four losses during the Osborne years was a terrible season.

The only reason that Nebraska fans have a problem with TexA$$ is because they like to crow about their W/L record in the Big XII against us, but many of those wins have come by very dubious/shady means. To wit:

-1996 Big XII Title Game--Team comes down with mysterious stomach flu-like symptoms overnight after arriving for the game in St. Louis, including over half the starters.

-1999 @ Austin--Eric Crouch throws two complete passes in a row that were ruled incomplete on a last minute comeback drive. Even Brent Musburger, who was calling the game, couldn't believe the calls and said as much during the telecast. And if you think Bo Pelini gets mad...Solich was damn near about to rip the head off of an official during that game. :-|

-2007 @ Austin--Texas gets three phantom holding penalties in a row to help them matriculate the ball downfield for the final score of the game.

-2009 Big XII Title Game--Officials add a fraudulent second back onto the clock at the end of the game, after going against what they have done all game long in allowing extra seconds to tick off after incomplete passes and not correcting the clock operator.

And let's not overlook the fact that the head of officiating in the Big XII is a Texas-alum (Walt Anderson).

---

So yes, I think Bucky is right in that there won't be another Texa$$ for Nebraska.

I would like to think the Big 10 teams won't stoop so low.

I dont remember any shady holding calls in '07. All I remember is cosgrove deciding to constantly blitz the weak side and this breeze named Jamal Charles whizzes down the field.

In 96, dont forget the Farley suspension on top of that. Minter was moved to OLB and they basically used a nickel base, that along with an illness and a domed game in december for a cold climate team added up to a dismal performance.

I wouldnt say Texas has dominated us. We've had them on the ropes so many times. They get luck. In 06, the defender putting his head right on the ball to knock if from Nunn. 02? The pick? Major Applewhite in 98 getting sandwiched but still making a throw and the luck catch to go along with it. Really Vince Young's coming out party was the only blowout of the series in 03. Texas has made me sick. 2010 was the nail in the coffin for me. I no longer had any desire to even try to deal with them.

I dont remember any shady holding calls in '07. All I remember is cosgrove deciding to constantly blitz the weak side and this breeze named Jamal Charles whizzes down the field.

Then you need to watch the game again. Texas' last scoring drive to go ahead, same player for all three calls, all phantom, all in a row. Otherwise, we had them stopped all game long and on this drive to boot, craptacular Cosgrove defense and all.

In 96, dont forget the Farley suspension on top of that. Minter was moved to OLB and they basically used a nickel base, that along with an illness and a domed game in december for a cold climate team added up to a dismal performance.

When half of your starters are either out completely or are not 100% due to stomach flu-like symptoms that appeared after arriving in St. Louis, I'm sorry, it's more than just one player, as great as Farley was.

I wouldnt say Texas has dominated us. We've had them on the ropes so many times. They get luck. In 06, the defender putting his head right on the ball to knock if from Nunn. 02? The pick? Major Applewhite in 98 getting sandwiched but still making a throw and the luck catch to go along with it. Really Vince Young's coming out party was the only blowout of the series in 03. Texas has made me sick. 2010 was the nail in the coffin for me. I no longer had any desire to even try to deal with them.

If you look, I didn't even include the games where we beat ourselves, though a special case should be made for 2010 if, for no other reason, the asshats for officials that screwed us over in that game, as well as at A&M and at Iowa State.

These were all games that the final outcomes were taken out of the player's hands completely and put into the officials.

So no, **** Texa$$ and their cheating ilk.

My have our standards dropped... four losses during the Osborne years was a terrible season.

3 losses was bad...Osborne never lost 4...

Apples and Oranges. Tougher competition, a more even playing field, and one or two more games/season are being played (12-13 games/season vs. 13-14).

Osborne, had he kept coaching, would have run into a four-loss season sooner or later. Even he said as much himself (with the program 'defying gravity' and all...)

The only reason that Nebraska fans have a problem with TexA$$ is because they like to crow about their W/L record in the Big XII against us, but many of those wins have come by very dubious/shady means. To wit:

-1996 Big XII Title Game--Team comes down with mysterious stomach flu-like symptoms overnight after arriving for the game in St. Louis, including over half the starters.

-1999 @ Austin--Eric Crouch throws two complete passes in a row that were ruled incomplete on a last minute comeback drive. Even Brent Musburger, who was calling the game, couldn't believe the calls and said as much during the telecast. And if you think Bo Pelini gets mad...Solich was damn near about to rip the head off of an official during that game. :-|

-2007 @ Austin--Texas gets three phantom holding penalties in a row to help them matriculate the ball downfield for the final score of the game.

-2009 Big XII Title Game--Officials add a fraudulent second back onto the clock at the end of the game, after going against what they have done all game long in allowing extra seconds to tick off after incomplete passes and not correcting the clock operator.

And let's not overlook the fact that the head of officiating in the Big XII is a Texas-alum (Walt Anderson).

---

So yes, I think Bucky is right in that there won't be another Texa$$ for Nebraska.

I seriously hope your not claiming Walt Anderson had anything to do with our players getting sick...

And just for the record, this post is just a bunch of excuses to why we lost. We lost, thats it.

• Fire 1

One could also point out the things that NU actually controlled in those losses as well.

1996-I know the team was sick but 503 yards??? Texas did whatever they wanted to that day

1999 Fumbles. Including two inside the 10 I believe, I know Buckhalter had one at the 1

2007-accountability's point about Coz blitzing nonstop and Charles going nuts played a larger role than holding calls. Especially considering NU was down double digits most of the last part of the 4th.

2009-kick it out of bounds and then spot them another 15 on the penalty against an offense like that, yeah not good

2010-The offense was going to struggle against that defense. The drops, again NU brainfarts, not refs

+1 Po

Also correct. Wisconsin = Colorado (without a NC) and I have the proof!!!

Colorado's fan base made Colorado what it is.

Wisconsin is not Colorado.

Based on my analysis, Wisconsin will have a few 4 or 5 loss seasons.... followed by a coaching change.

Does that analysis also hold for the Huskers?

I think that's the main reason Wisconsin is being compared to Colorado sometimes. Have you seen their students at the game? It's very Colorado like.

And since we've had 4 straight 4 loss seasons I'd say it doesn't hold true, and I find it impossible to believe Wisconsin would fire Brett w/ a 4 or 5 loss season. Couple 6 loss seasons in a row...maybe. But that holds true for almost every BCS team.

When I wrote 3-4 losses I was thinking of the old days and what that would mean for a Nebraska team. 5-7 losses probably makes more sense. My comparison was not based on fan behavior directly but more in the logic that history repeats itself. I'm not completely up on the history of Colorado and Wisconsin but to quote Dr. Tom they are teams enjoying "recent success". I don't remember worrying about losing to Colorado prior to McCartney and as I understand it Wisconsin was not good prior to the arrival of Alvarez. They probably occasionally had good teams but they weren't perennially in the national title hunt. Given the same starting point, I predict Wisconsin will follow the same path. Their fans will play into it indirectly by forcing out a good coach during some down years.

While watching the OSU game I got the feeling they really wanted to beat us. I think no matter how bad OSU is they will always bring their best game against Nebraska. I'm sure winning against Nebraska isn't as important as beating Michigan. Different motivation though. They hate Michigan but probably respect our program so beating us means a lot to them. I don't think Texas hated us but they definitely seemed to play unusually good against us. I attended the Michigan game and I got the impression that they expected to beat us and we were more of an annoyance along the way to playing OSU.

1. 4-5 loss season is possible but I highly doubt there will be a coaching change.

2. If Wisconsin is the next Colorado then Nebraska is the next Minnesota.

Except for their recent collapse, you should be flattered by the comparison. Colorado has gone undefeated in conference, and they have won a national championship. Wisconsin can only dream of such a resume.

Don't forget three more reasons we used to hate Texas:

They moved the Big 12 office from KC to Dallas.

They wanted to move the CCG to Jerry's world permanently.

Then there is the Longwhorn Network, where they wanted to keep all the money for themselves, like an independent.

---

Let's not forget 2002 when Solich opted OUT of 3 field goal tries to go for it on fourth down. One of which (the last one) resulted in a Jammal Lord to Nathan Vasher interception after a beautiful punt return by DeJuan Groce...to end the game as a 3 point loss.

But, I feel Northwestern or Michigan will end up being that team(s) we just can't get past...what so ever. Northwestern loves to beat up on the big boys, who play arrogantly. And Michigan, just smells of our old nemesis in the Big XII. They do.

Don't forget three more reasons we used to hate Texas:

They moved the Big 12 office from KC to Dallas.

They wanted to move the CCG to Jerry's world permanently.

Then there is the Longwhorn Network, where they wanted to keep all the money for themselves, like an independent.

---

Ahh, Lambs, you are 100% correct. I was trying to keep this as an 'on-the-field' thing, but then again, dealing with Texas blurs those lines through the venomous politics they play.

And if we're getting into politics, let's not forget Texas getting the conference to block Prop 42 kids (IIRC) at the onset of the conference. Or when Harvey exposed Texas' hand in conference realignment by challenging them to assign all media rights to the conference (thus making it very difficult and costly to leave the conference).

On a very related note, I would like to see someone asterisk the 2009 Title Game results in our media guide going forward as either 'disputed' or 'winner of regulation game time'.

And to keep it current, again, I expect our Big 10 brethren will be more on the 'up and up' when it comes to these and other political matters. So far, it appears they have.