The Religious Discussion of 2012

The reason it is called faith is because it is something that can not be proven. You have no proof that there isn't a God either. It is your faith in the secular world that makes you an unbeliever but it is faith nonetheless. We are just at an impass, your faith vs mine and we shall not know the outcome until we are both gone.

Maybe it can be proven in the future or has been proven in the past, but scientific proof is not available to us at the present.

While a god (supernatural being) has neither been proven nor disproven, as is with dark matter, the existance of one or more does make logical sense. The fact that science follows a series of rigid laws could mean that they were intelligently designed into out universe. Or that they came about at random, and our particular universe out of a near infinite number had the right set of scientific laws for life to come into being. But the creation of our universe required energy and a catalyst for the big bang to occur, which does point to a supernatural intelligence.

Why does it point to a supernatural intelligence? Why couldn't it be spontaneous?

While a god (supernatural being) has neither been proven nor disproven, as is with dark matter, the existance of one or more does make logical sense. The fact that science follows a series of rigid laws could mean that they were intelligently designed into out universe. Or that they came about at random, and our particular universe out of a near infinite number had the right set of scientific laws for life to come into being. But the creation of our universe required energy and a catalyst for the big bang to occur, which does point to a supernatural intelligence.

I have said in a previous thread that Matter had to come from somewhere. You can't have an absence of matter and then suddenly have it just appear (where did it come from) and we know we need matter for the big bang theory. So now the question becomes who made matter?

Matter and anti-matter can cancel each other out. However to the best of our knowledge there is a net positive amount of energy in the universe.

But where did the first matter come from? at some point was there nothing, when and how did matter come into being? :wasted

And the same can be said about the nanny state too. I do not want someone else taking my money and using it for a purpose that is against my moral values.

That is not unconstitutional... but you do have your one vote you can use to protect you moral values.

I never said anything about it being unconstitutional, I said I do not like money going towards something that is against my beliefs. :thumbs

And the same can be said about the nanny state too. I do not want someone else taking my money and using it for a purpose that is against my moral values. :thumbs

How do you feel about tax dollars supporting the military?

I am for that. chuckleshuffle

If someone is a pacifist do you agree that they shouldn't have to support our military?

The reason it is called faith is because it is something that can not be proven. You have no proof that there isn't a God either. It is your faith in the secular world that makes you an unbeliever but it is faith nonetheless. We are just at an impass, your faith vs mine and we shall not know the outcome until we are both gone.

Maybe it can be proven in the future or has been proven in the past, but scientific proof is not available to us at the present.

Why does it point to a supernatural intelligence? Why couldn't it be spontaneous?

As far as I know energy cannot be created from nothing, and every reaction requires some sort of catalyst.

If there was nothing (matter or energy in our foru dimensions) before the big bang, then what caused it?

I have said in a previous thread that Matter had to come from somewhere. You can't have an absence of matter and then suddenly have it just appear (where did it come from) and we know we need matter for the big bang theory. So now the question becomes who made matter?

Matter and anti-matter can cancel each other out. However to the best of our knowledge there is a net positive amount of energy in the universe.

But where did the first matter come from? at some point was there nothing, when and how did matter come into being?

As I said... matter and anti-matter can come from the absence of matter, but the separation did require energy.

And the same can be said about the nanny state too. I do not want someone else taking my money and using it for a purpose that is against my moral values.

That is not unconstitutional... but you do have your one vote you can use to protect you moral values.

I never said anything about it being unconstitutional, I said I do not like money going towards something that is against my beliefs.

There are alot of things I don't like about my government, and am nearly powerless to change them.

All I have is my one vote for my representative who gets one vote, plus all the free speech I can afford.

But where did the first matter come from? at some point was there nothing, when and how did matter come into being? :wasted

As far as I know energy cannot be created from nothing, and every reaction requires some sort of catalyst.

If there was nothing (matter or energy in our foru dimensions) before the big bang, then what caused it?

You guys forget that there was no such thing as time until God created it. It's a really difficult concept to grasp, but true.

You guys forget that there was no such thing as time until God created it. It's a really difficult concept to grasp, but true.

That's exactly what i don't understand. How do you know that's the way it is? How smart art you? What proof do you have of this?

See, usually truth is something that has some verifiable aspect to it. What you said wasn't so much true as just blind speculation thrown on top of faith thrown on top of more speculation.

I have to agree with Husker_x and Mills, here. Truth implies you have facts to support your argument. You have no incontrovertible evidence supporting 'God' (as you perceive him) either exists or doesn't exist, therefore using the word "true" is grossly inappropriate. Honestly, I don't see how religion can be viewed as anything other than a theory. Choosing to believe in that theory is fine, but it still forces me to revert back to what I was criticizing you for earlier - you view your faith as how everything is without taking into consideration that you could be wrong, and that millions of people disagree with your line of thinking.

I can't wait until it's March so this thread can end.

HuskerShark, I'll give you this old saying: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. Please, understand the second part of this saying. Less people will want to hurt you/think that you are an ignoramus.

Being religious and having faith is generally viewed as a good thing, and hopefully you or any other religious folks on the Huskerboardz don't think that we are attacking you and saying you're wrong for having faith; for being religious. However, it's when you speak of God as the only way and belittle anyone who believes otherwise (a very unchristian thing to do I might add) for even thinking differently.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of not thousands, but millions of people who will disagree with you. I say reactions happened to cause the Big Bang which created our universe which was filled with mitochondria which then by the process of evolution evolved into men who with their cognitive capabilities observed that the sky changed and decided to quantify it, thus making time. Am I right? Probably not. But I'm certainly not wrong either. Might there be another step before all of this [being God started it and then sat back and watched things happen]? Certainly...but we can not prove and we probably will never prove that.

Religion is at best a theory...like I said earlier a theory very similar to psychoanalytic theory.

• Fire 1