The Religious Discussion of 2012

Screw 'em isn't exactly how I would phrase it. Let me say it like this: All people and all things on this earth are creations of God. It's just that some have not found Him yet. America's biggest downfall is that we try to make this country so universal so that everybody is happy. That's just not how it works. Sorry if you disagree.

Don't worry . . . every other religion is just as convinced that they are right and that you are wrong. They have no more right to make you follow their beliefs than you do to make them follow your own.

You should get out and look around a bit. It's liberating.

No other religion has had proof that they are right about their beliefs like Christianity. God sent his only son to Earth so that he could die for our sins. What does that tell you? You're ignorant to believe in anything else.

And where exactly is said evidence? The Bible sure is not it. You have a book that was asssembled in its current for around 600AD. And even then you have centuries old stories. Every religion has a book. Hell, the Greeks and Romans have books and stories much older than the Bible. And they even have statues. But I have not seen any Temples to Zues around here lately. Its all mythology.

The evidence is in the Bible. The Bible is the ultimate authority and we shouldn't question it because it is the Bible. Etc.

No other religion has had proof that they are right about their beliefs like Christianity. God sent his only son to Earth so that he could die for our sins. What does that tell you?

You don't understand what "proof" actually means.

That book also said if two goats f#*k while looking at striped sticks, their offspring will have stripes. It's fair to say there's an incredible amount of bullsh#t in that book.

You're ignorant to believe in anything else.

:laughpound

• Fire 1

No other religion has had proof that they are right about their beliefs like Christianity. God sent his only son to Earth so that he could die for our sins. What does that tell you?

That book also said if two goats f#*k while looking at striped sticks, their offspring will have stripes. It's fair to say there's an incredible amount of bullsh#t in that book.

Well, that was a vulgar attempt at humor. Why would you insult the many who hold the bible sacred? Would you do the same to the Quran, of course not, because you don't have the guts. Christians, for the most part are peaceful people who when insulted they try to turn the other cheek. The insulting of the Quran may have you running and hiding like a coward so you are not killed. :laughpound

People discrediting your nonsensical idea of proof doesn't mean it should be locked.

If you and other people in this discussion are going to ignore the things that are right in front of your face then there is nothing that I can do or say that is going to change your thoughts or take away your doubts. So I'm done with this discussion.

People discrediting your nonsensical idea of proof doesn't mean it should be locked.

It also doesn't mean that there isn't God. It also doesn't mean that Jesus didn't get tortured, died and was buried and on the third day rise again in glory. It only means that you choose not to believe his statements. chuckleshuffle

You can't prove that there isn't a god any more than you can prove that there is a god. In that, we agree.

I like the Jefferson Bible. I grew up a Lutheran but I just couldn't believe some of the stuff that takes place in the bible. He took anything that seemed supernatural out of it. Basically it was a condensed version that kept the teaching and morals of Jesus and made him seem more human than what the Bible would sometimes portray him as being.

Agreed, it's an interesting read, especially if you've been shepherded through Catholicism or Lutheranism growing up, as it completely demystifies Jesus and the Disciples and brings the text down to Earth, as opposed to the rockstar, brimstone and fire, superhero Jesus.

If anything, the Jefferson Bible helps support that Jefferson was more of a humanist than a Christian. IIRC, didn't he do something similar to the Qur'an?

It also doesn't mean that there isn't God. It also doesn't mean that Jesus didn't get tortured, died and was buried and on the third day rise again in glory. It only means that you choose not to believe his statements. chuckleshuffle

As I said earlier...

There's no "proof" that Jesus Christ was the son of God, any more-so than there's proof that he wasn't.

I have no problem with people choosing to believe what they want to believe. What I do have a problem with is people explaining their view point using opinion as fact, as HuskerShark did. Going into any medium and proclaiming Jesus Christ/Christianity have more proof for their beliefs than any other religion is dramatically foolish. There are millions of people out there who would disagree with him, some even to the death, in extreme cases.

Over 2500 years ago, the entire Greek world believed the Earth was controlled my Gods and Goddesses, and almost nobody believes in that anymore. 2000 years from now, people may view Christianity/Buddhism/Islam as stupid and have some other form of belief system in place. Who are any of us to claim religious superiority?

Religion is best kept personal.

If you and other people in this discussion are going to ignore the things that are right in front of your face then there is nothing that I can do or say that is going to change your thoughts or take away your doubts. So I'm done with this discussion.

What's in front of our faces? You just blatantly proclaimed that Christianity has more proof than any other religion, and there are millions of people in this world who would disagree with you, even to the death.

Let me rehash my post above this one - 2500 years ago, Greeks had more "proof" for their religion than anybody else. If you were alive 2500 years ago, lived in Greece, and believed in the God as you believe today, you'd be viewed as a fool and maybe even killed. Athenian Greeks considered people who offended "the Gods" as people guilty of treason, and they would be punished in order to forego any wrath incurred from the Gods. Now, you sit here today insinuating that they don't know what they're talking about and Christianity is the end-all be-all.

I have absolutely no problem with you believing what you want to believe - that's your right. But what you have said thus far is ignorant, insulting and hazy. The world's history of religion and the fact that there are dozens of religions alive today should make you second guess any more comments like the one you made.

By the way... the minister of my church is a female... she is getting married... to another woman... and she is also a practicing Wiccan.

What faith are you may I ask? :confucius

I belong to a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.

I consider myself to be a desciple of the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, and a practicioner of Earth-based Spirituality (aka Paganism... Shamanism, Wicca).

You don't find any conflicts between wicca, (I believe is white witches, correct) paganism & the teachings of Jesus? Do you reject his teachings that he is the Son of God then?

Per Wicca, the correct term for a practicioners is witch (male and female). Spells are nothing more than prayers that harness the spiritual energy of the universe.

Paganism is defined as religious beliefs outside of standard Judaism, Christianity and Islam. They have roughly the same version of Yahweh/El, God the Father and Allah. I reject that description of Her (heh!).

I strive to follow the teachings of Jesus as best described in the three Synoptic Gospels.

I believe that Jesus was a child of god, as we are all... He was an enlightened soul with a strong spirit.

What is the 'spiritual energy of the universe'?

You can't prove that there isn't a god any more than you can prove that there is a god.

Which is why it is called "Faith." Put your trust in God and put your worldly thoughts and doubts to the side.

Over 2500 years ago, the entire Greek world believed the Earth was controlled my Gods and Goddesses, and almost nobody believes in that anymore. 2000 years from now, people may view Christianity/Buddhism/Islam as stupid and have some other form of belief system in place. Who are any of us to claim religious superiority?

The reason the religion went away is because they had nothing concrete to reinforce their beliefs. I like Greek mythology a lot, but it's just that: a myth.

The difference with Christianity is that God sent his only son to Earth to do 2 things:

1) reinforce faith in Him

2) to take away our sins so that we could have eternal life, as long as we believe in Jesus Christ

Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you. I hope you believe in your heart that Jesus gave us the ultimate gift, but if not, there is nothing that I can do about it.

Well, that was a vulgar attempt at humor. Why would you insult the many who hold the bible sacred? Would you do the same to the Quran, of course not, because you don't have the guts. Christians, for the most part are peaceful people who when insulted they try to turn the other cheek. The insulting of the Quran may have you running and hiding like a coward so you are not killed. :laughpound

I didn't say anything about anyone. I commented on a book. If someone is insulted by that, that's their problem. I'm willing to bet the book you've mentioned here is just as full of sh#t as the bible. But I've never read the Quran, so I can't be certain.

You can't prove that there isn't a god any more than you can prove that there is a god.

Which is why it is called "Faith." Put your trust in God and put your worldly thoughts and doubts to the side.

The reason the religion went away is because they had nothing concrete to reinforce their beliefs. I like Greek mythology a lot, but it's just that: a myth.

The difference with Christianity is that God sent his only son to Earth to do 2 things:

1) reinforce faith in Him

2) to take away our sins so that we could have eternal life, as long as we believe in Jesus Christ

Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you. I hope you believe in your heart that Jesus gave us the ultimate gift, but if not, there is nothing that I can do about it.

Exactly, there's no proof. There's nothing concrete to reinforce it.