Clean Program

I am I

What's a clean program? I'd say we're clean if only couple or three--or even a handful--of guys get arrested each year. If you randomly selected 120 non-athlete college guys that's about what you'd get. A handful of arrests, mostly for DWI and sech.

Also by clean I'd say we don't have guys juicing to build muscle, and cleverly covering it up.

I think it comes from the HC. Arrests, bad behavior...whatever. That doesn't mean the program isn't clean, it means the players who are part of it get into trouble. How the coach runs his ship and how he responds to these incidents define how clean the program is. You could hand a principled coach a roster full of thugs who, all they do is get arrested, but it doesn't mean that coach isn't running a clean program.

I think the criteria you talk about in the second part is more important.

Define clean program? Do we have one now? Seems we've had a decent amount of alcohol related incidents during Bo's tenure, however, I'm not stating alocohol related incidents have increased under Bo. Just wondering where some draw the clean/dirty line. I'm with NUance. I think there's a difference between "clean" and "pristine".

Someone brought up '95. Did we have a dirty program then? I could see it both ways depending on where one draws the line.

When the school's biggest problem is giving the players textbooks, I think we're a pretty clean program.

But seriously, every program is going to have players getting into some mischief (especially with alcohol). I hate to excuse that sort of behavior, but it's almost part of being in college. I realize that these guys are expected to maintain higher standards than most students, but that doesn't mean they aren't human and don't make mistakes.

I'm just glad we aren't anywhere near the level that Ohio State or Penn State are at.

On a national scale, we're a pretty squeaky-clean program.

Define clean program? Do we have one now? Seems we've had a decent amount of alcohol related incidents during Bo's tenure, however, I'm not stating alocohol related incidents have increased under Bo. Just wondering where some draw the clean/dirty line. I'm with NUance. I think there's a difference between "clean" and "pristine".

Someone brought up '95. Did we have a dirty program then? I could see it both ways depending on where one draws the line.

Dirty, like Miami and Oklahoma in the 80's? No. But NU certainly toed into that relatively grey area many times. As I recall the NCAA was investigating NU like crazy from 94-97 and they never found anything of substance wrong--leastways nothing compared to Miami and OU.

Dirty, like Miami and Oklahoma in the 80's? No. But NU certainly toed into that relatively grey area many times. As I recall the NCAA was investigating NU like crazy from 94-97 and they never found anything of substance wrong--leastways nothing compared to Miami and OU.

Wasn't in Jason Peter and someone else that admitted to 'roid use? I always thought TO ran a clean program, but had a few misfits with those champ' teams. But was TO complicit with the 'roid use, did he truly not know, or was it one of those where he purposely insulated himself to maintain plausible deniability? I'd luv to blindly believe TO knew nothing. Bottom line, if its all true, NU may not have 'run' a dirty program, but they'd certainly have 'had' one even if not uncovered by the NCAA.

Certainly, at the time, I knew nothing of any 'roids rumors so I was perfectly ok for NU to recruit some questionables, with the hope that the coaching staff could reign them in. Obviously, one aw-sh#t (Phillips) somewhat underminded all positive perception the staff tried to built.

If I had to choose between the running a clean program and winning 5 to 7 games each year vs. running a program that bends the rules a little but is in the perennial hunt for the national title, I'd take the latter. But I think we have close to the best of both worlds at NU. The football team is run very well IMO, and 9 wins a year is nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully this coming season we can break through that barricade and win 11-14 games.

To me a clean program is one that recruits honestly, doesn't condone criminal behavior, punishes it when it does occur, attempts to teach character and accountability. Kids breaking the law doesn't mean a poorly run or dirty program. You can't control the actions of your players no more than you can control the actions of your kids. You teach them, instruct them, monitor them, put rules in place and hope it works.

Recruiting kids with "questionable" issues is not running a dirty program. TO recruited a few bad apples. Did he run a dirty program? NO way. I truly believe he wanted to help those kids and I am sure he mentored and helped more than those who slipped through the cracks.

You can run a clean program and win. You can also run a dirty program and win. The difference........players and coaches.

• Fire 3

I care about a clean program but it isn't the only thing. I don't want a program where we win because we play dirty, but I don't think it takes being dirty to win, either.

Having a clean program is important above all I guess, but I really think it is a more minority opinion than is represented in this thread. Look where that got Callahan in the opinion of most fans.

You've got to let your Callahan love go. You've also got to stop rewriting history regarding Callahan. An eighth-place finish in the 2007 Fulmer Cup isn't exactly "clean." Arrests of Hunter Teafatiller and Maurice Purify immediately come to mind.

Again, because this seems to not be sinking in, the reason Callahan was reviled by "most fans" is that he never embraced this team, us fans, or our traditions. The man who ended, unnecessarily, several traditions that this fan base holds dear will always, always, always be hated.

To me a clean program is one that recruits honestly, doesn't condone criminal behavior, punishes it when it does occur, attempts to teach character and accountability. Kids breaking the law doesn't mean a poorly run or dirty program. You can't control the actions of your players no more than you can control the actions of your kids. You teach them, instruct them, monitor them, put rules in place and hope it works.

Recruiting kids with "questionable" issues is not running a dirty program. TO recruited a few bad apples. Did he run a dirty program? NO way. I truly believe he wanted to help those kids and I am sure he mentored and helped more than those who slipped through the cracks.

You can run a clean program and win. You can also run a dirty program and win. The difference........players and coaches.

:w00t

I care about a clean program but it isn't the only thing. I don't want a program where we win because we play dirty, but I don't think it takes being dirty to win, either.

Having a clean program is important above all I guess, but I really think it is a more minority opinion than is represented in this thread. Look where that got Callahan in the opinion of most fans.

You've got to let your Callahan love go. You've also got to stop rewriting history regarding Callahan. An eighth-place finish in the 2007 Fulmer Cup isn't exactly "clean." Arrests of Hunter Teafatiller and Maurice Purify immediately come to mind.

Again, because this seems to not be sinking in, the reason Callahan was reviled by "most fans" is that he never embraced this team, us fans, or our traditions. The man who ended, unnecessarily, several traditions that this fan base holds dear will always, always, always be hated.

Absolutely spot on.............

He not only ended traditions..............he didn't even put up a facade that he gave a sh*t about them.................total indifference to culture, traditions, customs and history.......................totally oblivious..........

Clownahan ran a clean program but LOST. Bad.

A scanduluos program means a complete subversion of NCAA laws or laws of society. When a team the size of tcu goes from barely .500 to running the table and winning rose bowls shows up with drug DEALERS on their team and stating, as far as he knew, most players would fail a drug test--well then, that's different than a drunk tank arrest every now and then.

If Bo runs a clean program but loses 7 games a year, he's gone. I think basically, most here agree that wins are most important, but if we don't win CCG and MNC every 2 yrs at least we arent on sanction of kicking half our team out; along with 9-10 wins.

I mean, watching tcu rise up was like, "how the hell." but now they are in their scandal, I personally would be embarassed to be a fan.