Santorum thinks your college education is a bad thing

You always learn more in college and plus you social network to help get you jobs after college that otherwise you wouldn't have. It always translates into results if you keep at it and just because it didn't pan out right after college doesn't mean it never will.

FYI: you don't major in sociology unless you get something higher than a BA. the college advisor will tell you this before you even start. There are starting to be a lot of jobs that require more than a BA now.

College is about learning and long term investment. I should also point out that roughly half of college graduates never enter the field they graduated in. It doesn't mean they wasted money it means that degree is alot more applicable than their area of learning.

Agreed. But that's the problem...DO people keep at it? Not all the time.

It depends on the person. Some people don't understand that. Just because you get a degree doesn't mean you automatically have helped yourself. You're still going to have to work at it (especially with one of those crappy degrees), and I'm not sure EVERYBODY does. Which is my point. College isn't for everyone.

You always learn more in college and plus you social network to help get you jobs after college that otherwise you wouldn't have. It always translates into results if you keep at it and just because it didn't pan out right after college doesn't mean it never will.

FYI: you don't major in sociology unless you get something higher than a BA. the college advisor will tell you this before you even start. There are starting to be a lot of jobs that require more than a BA now.

College is about learning and long term investment. I should also point out that roughly half of college graduates never enter the field they graduated in. It doesn't mean they wasted money it means that degree is alot more applicable than their area of learning.

Agreed. But that's the problem...DO people keep at it? Not all the time.

It depends on the person. Some people don't understand that. Just because you get a degree doesn't mean you automatically have helped yourself. You're still going to have to work at it (especially with one of those crappy degrees), and I'm not sure EVERYBODY does. Which is my point. College isn't for everyone.

Yes you have helped yourself. You have opened doors that aren't available at the high school level. You don't really know who know's what kind of people. A lot of people get jobs just based on the fact they know someone. Your degree helps you out in that you can be trained and more qualified than a high school graduate. Most companies want you to succeed because it makes them look better. Yes i would say College isn't for everyone but now and in the future your job is at stake for someone better. Some people are happy doing the same thing everyday at work and some aren't. but it is also a harder life without a college degree in the long run which is why you see so many parents advocating their children going to college even if they didn't go themselves.

I actually agree with Santorum on this one. There are plenty of well paying occupations that do not require a B.A. Why dilute the 4 year colleges with students that would have been better off going to technical colleges?

Or we could just send them off to the Mideast or elsewhere to fight for our corporations.

Two points.

1 - Obama includes trade schools or associate degrees and job training in his goals, not just 4-year universities.

2 - As stated in another thread, Santorum thinks Satan basicly rules 'accadamia' already. He had some random number for the percentage of students who leave college less reigious than they entered it. Which he thinks is the work of the devil.

This, plus Obama is promoting a German-style type of post-secondary education, which would help our country out significantly.

I linked to it before, but it (IIRC) ultimately has kids either taking college prep classes for their Junior or Senior years, or if they want to go the vocational route, they can have a lighter academic load and obtain a local apprenticeship in the desired vocation, or graduate early for vocational schools (think SCC Milford).

Two points.

1 - Obama includes trade schools or associate degrees and job training in his goals, not just 4-year universities.

2 - As stated in another thread, Santorum thinks Satan basicly rules 'accadamia' already. He had some random number for the percentage of students who leave college less reigious than they entered it. Which he thinks is the work of the devil.

This, plus Obama is promoting a German-style type of post-secondary education, which would help our country out significantly.

I linked to it before, but it (IIRC) ultimately has kids either taking college prep classes for their Junior or Senior years, or if they want to go the vocational route, they can have a lighter academic load and obtain a local apprenticeship in the desired vocation, or graduate early for vocational schools (think SCC Milford).

The only problem is that kids at that age don't always know what exactly what they want to do. A lot of college kids change their majors cause their interests change. I know myself i changed my major 3 to 4 times before i settled on one i know i could live with. Kids end up going the vocational route then later they don't want to do that anymore they are in a hugh uphill battle to do something else.