2012 Forecast

'SkersRule

Once again, I would be surprised and disappointed if we are worse than last year in any category. Maybe I'm just a big red kool-aid drinker, but IMO the special teams should be just as good or better, the offense should have the maturity and experience to make strides this offseason and be one of the B1G's best offenses, and if the right guys step in on defense, they should be slightly better as well.

I don't think you are kool-aid drinking overly in thinking NU should be better in most categories --- such is not unreasonable. I say that when making a prediction of a slight drop-off in the team as a whole. Neither a modest improvement or a modest step back seems unreasonable. What I'd think is unreasonable is a prediction of substantial improvement (like 1-2 loss predictions) or a massive step back (6-7 loss predictions).

So... we hedge slightly in opposite directions... me thinking a slight step back and you thinking (if I characterize your position accurately) a slight step forward. Both seem reasonable to me. Anything (positive or negative) beyond a modest change... well that is where unreasonable comes in.

Yeah, that's where I sit pretty much. I could see another 9-3 season, or possibly a 10-2. Any less than 9 wins would be very disappointing to me, as I'm sure it would to anyone.

Now, if we go 9-3 and those 3 losses are to OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State by less than 2 TDs in each one, that's what I will consider a successful season. If those losses come by wide margins like they did this year, that's when I will be disappointed with 9 wins. Or if we lose to Iowa or NW, that will piss me off as well.

I notice no mention of Wisconsin in your last post. How do you view NU relative to Wisconsin? I still view Wisconsin as playing a full level up from NU (maybe a level and a half above NU --- for reference, I see say... Alabama as three levels up from NU).

Wisconsin lost almost their entire coaching staff, and Russel Wilson. The QB's behind him are average at best. Without Wilson, wisconsin was an 8-4 at best team last year.

If Wisky goes 10+ wins, I would be shocked.

Errr...we had three 10+ win seasons with "average at best" QB play in the past five years or so. Whatever, I kind of like that people attribute Wisconsin's success almost solely to RW and then get complete amnesia about past seasons, that's cool.

Errr...we had three 10+ win seasons with "average at best" QB play in the past five years or so. Whatever, I kind of like that people attribute Wisconsin's success almost solely to RW and then get complete amnesia about past seasons, that's cool.

With Montee Ball coming back again, it may be another good season for Wisconsin.

With Montee Ball coming back again, it may be another good season for Wisconsin.

I would certainly think so. Wisconsin has talent and plays hard and is well coached... so I see no reason to assert that they will somehow be less than they have been --- they should still be quite good. Sure with Wilson gone that does hurt... but it is a team sport and UW is a good team --- same level as Michigan and OSU (or very near so) and at the top tier of the B1G. Why would that change overly. They have been consistently good... should continue.

The one thing I really want to see this year is for the Huskers to be competitive. If they lose, ok, just as long as they compete. I hated so much losing those embarrassing games like Northwestern. To go toe to toe against Wisconsin before the half and then to come back in the second half and get the crap kicked out of us. I want to see 4 quarters of competitive football. If we do that, I'll be satisfied. I predict we will go undefeated and compete for the National Championship. (I can dream can't I? ;) )

• Fire 1

The one thing I really want to see this year is for the Huskers to be competitive. If they lose, ok, just as long as they compete. I hated so much losing those embarrassing games like Northwestern. To go toe to toe against Wisconsin before the half and then to come back in the second half and get the crap kicked out of us. I want to see 4 quarters of competitive football. If we do that, I'll be satisfied. I predict we will go undefeated and compete for the National Championship. (I can dream can't I? ;) )

All fans dream of and somewhere deep in their hearts want to expect this and there's nothing wrong with that.

Wisconsin lost almost their entire coaching staff, and Russel Wilson. The QB's behind him are average at best. Without Wilson, wisconsin was an 8-4 at best team last year.

Perhaps amnesia explains you forgetting about my comment regarding the coaching staff?

:D

I agree with a number of your thoughts. A couple others I differ somewhat,

UCLA scares me. Yeah they have a new coach, but they have had some good recruiting classes and have some athletes. If Mora and his assistants(and honestly his assistant hires are more impressive than ours have been) we could be in trouble with a defense that could have some issues, especcialy this early in a season. 60% game.

And Mich State I think beats us. Yeah, they lost a lot on offense, but they might have the best defense in the conference. Unless we see some huge strides at QB for the Huskers I see the game as a defensive struggle. 40% at best.

10-2 might be an optimistic cealing, 9-3 probably more likely for the best they can do. And 8-4 or 7-5 are really possibilities, and a nightmare scenario with 5-7 if Rex goes down.

Let's also not forget that MSU lost DT Jerrell Worthy to the NFL which will soften the Spartan D considerably. I certainly see and conceed your point that Nebraska could lose in East Lansing this year but I don't think they will. The Spartans lost a ton of seniors who were two and three year starters. No college football team loses that many starters and doesn't take a step back the following season.

Perhaps amnesia explains you forgetting about my comment regarding the coaching staff?

I was focusing more on the 8-4 thing last year. Even without RW we still could have surpassed that.

I was focusing more on the 8-4 thing last year. Even without RW we still could have surpassed that.

Oh. It's possible, but not probable. Badger fans were not sold on your 3rd/4th string QB as the starter. Wasn't the backup last year a RSfr after the top 2 guys were out with injuries?

Monte. Ball. (and I think Wisconsin is just going to always be that team that has our number - like K-State & Texas)

Since when did KSUck have our number? They owned Frank, but every other coach has a winning record against them.

I see 2012 as another average yr. Ok qb but less than stellar. No standout dlineman...no fantastic olineman but enough solid players to stay decent. Issues I see....new dline coach...new dc...new db coach and no real leadership except burkhead yet**. Offense is going to have to pull their weight ...no excuses for sucking. Ironically I think our best position next yr will be wr. Turner, enunwa, bell, Allen, and westerkamp....can we get them the ball? We will find out.

Can't wait to see what tricks Bo has up his sleeve in terms of turning around the defense. I think last year hurt his pride, and he's not going to let his guys play that sloppy two years in a row. If the D doesn't improve, I think we'll be looking at another 4 loss season. That schedule is a brute. I'd would feel pretty good about the offense, but I just can't muster any faith in the offensive line.