Steven M. Sipple: Carnes' offseason improvement key for Huskers

Look for Brokemier to make a strong move with his arm.Decent foot speed,also.Could be a sleeper.

He'll be this year's Spring Game Brion Carnes. He'll have a few good throws and he'll get the fans all excited and.... we'll barely see him again. Happens every year.

I would hope you would base your judgment of a player on more than just a few throws in a spring game.

• Fire 1

I really hope that Carnes his improved and can compete for the starting job. Like many of you, I have been watching a lot of games from last season and it still urks me watching Taylor throw a football, even when I know the outcome of the game. Last night I was watching the Penn State game and forgot all about the play in the first quarter where Taylor is rolling to his right and one-hops a ball to Jamal Turner when he is maybe 10-15 yards away.

I just hate wincing anytime our QB doesn't hand the ball off. I would really love for our QB play to improve next season, but I'm not going to hold my breath with Taylor. Guess we'll see what happens, but like Husker X, I wouldn't be surprised to see a midseason QB controversy either.

Look for Brokemier to make a strong move with his arm.Decent foot speed,also.Could be a sleeper.

He'll be this year's Spring Game Brion Carnes. He'll have a few good throws and he'll get the fans all excited and.... we'll barely see him again. Happens every year.

I would hope you would base your judgment of a player on more than just a few throws in a spring game.

Not talking about me, talking about the threads that crop up every Spring.

I think I'd be a little surprised by this. His arm is actually a weakness according to the coaches. Bronson Marsh however....... I could see him becoming the eventual #2 if he improves this spring.

I think I'd be a little surprised by this. His arm is actually a weakness according to the coaches. Brandon Marsh however....... I could see him becoming the eventual #2 if he improves this spring.

Bronson Marsh?

Not talking about me, talking about the threads that crop up every Spring.

Ahhh, I see. When you said the fans, I thought that included yourself. That's kind of the same broad term Sipple used in his article the other day huh? Painting an entire fan base with one brush is pretty hard to do. Now I see your talking about those people. Darn them types anyway, getting all excited about certain players. They should only get excited about Taylor at quarterback and no one else, what the hell is wrong with those people. I'm glad there are people like us to keep them in line. :sarcasm

Brokemeier can sling it, it would be nice to see what a true passing QB could do with the talent we have at receiver.

Yeah the kid has a great arm and throws really well on the run. He looks fundamentally sound. You never know how they'll look once they get to the next level, but from the little we have seen, it looks very promising. He could have played right away somewhere else but I think it shows some character that he chose to come here and fight it out. That injury was a real bummer. With Tommy Armstrong coming onto the roster, and Brion Carnes still battling, it just might never pan out for him though.

I think I'd be a little surprised by this. His arm is actually a weakness according to the coaches. Branson Marsh however....... I could see him becoming the eventual #2 if he improves this spring.

Bronson Marsh?

Yes...sorry auto correct.

• Fire 1

Bronson must have improved his passing game quite a bit if he is making that much noise. The guy definitely has the body of a safety. Todd Reesing-esque?

Sounds like a couple of CB's may move over to Safety. Evans, Washington or SJB perhaps I think are under consideration. Sounds like Bo and JP did some evaluating after film review and from Winter work outs. We'll see if the new coach agrees or not. Every coach has a "type" of guy they like in a spot.

Brokemeier can sling it, it would be nice to see what a true passing QB could do with the talent we have at receiver.

Yeah the kid has a great arm and throws really well on the run. He looks fundamentally sound. You never know how they'll look once they get to the next level, but from the little we have seen, it looks very promising. He could have played right away somewhere else but I think it shows some character that he chose to come here and fight it out. That injury was a real bummer. With Tommy Armstrong coming onto the roster, and Brion Carnes still battling, it just might never pan out for him though.

I'm sure the coaches will say the knee is good, but I had the chance to talk with a former trainer that's still pretty close with some guys on the team and his impression was it would be a while if ever to get that leg back 100%.

That's not true. He'll be very visible on the sidelines wearing a baseball cap and holding a clipboard.

• Fire 1

Ahhh, I see. When you said the fans, I thought that included yourself. That's kind of the same broad term Sipple used in his article the other day huh? Painting an entire fan base with one brush is pretty hard to do. Now I see your talking about those people. Darn them types anyway, getting all excited about certain players. They should only get excited about Taylor at quarterback and no one else, what the hell is wrong with those people. I'm glad there are people like us to keep them in line.

What?